Advice on helmet and intercom

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
davediamond

Advice on helmet and intercom

Post by davediamond »

Hello

I'm davediamond (in this computer age, there's no spaces in my name).

I'm going to buy an electric bike, but what I want is advice on is what's the best helmet and cheapest intercom system to get. I was thinking of a Bluetooth headset paired with my phone. I've never used a Bluetooth speaker and mic setup, but I own a Bluetooth Spotify setup.

Thanks in advance.

Dd

PS. I was thinking of this, all in one : https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-h ... 06294.html
Last edited by davediamond on 14 Jun 2022, 6:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jdsk

Re: Advice on a couple of items from the experts

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

What do you want to do with the intercom system?

And what are your thoughts about being able to hear what's going on around you?

Thanks

Jonathan

PS: I suggest that you edit the Subject line in the first post so that it gives a clue to what you're asking about. You might get more responses that way.
davediamond

Re: Advice on helmet and intercom

Post by davediamond »

Hi jdsk

I want someone to guide me round the roads and all its hazards and obstacles, to get vocal instructions while I tag behind. I only own a provisional license. Basically a driving instructor.

On the subject of hearing things, yes I'd like that too!

Regards

Dd
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
davediamond

Post by davediamond »

I need a 66cm helmet, too. I'm 6'3" tall, and my head is in proportion.

I found this: https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/equi ... Code=black

Alas no 'smart' features, and a motorbike intercom setup won't work, will it?
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Not convinced 'smart' features on helmets are all that smart. Particularly the lights which could easily send confusing signals to drivers when your head is turned.

You mention provisional license, you realise you don't need any license to ride a bicycle, including those with e-assist that comply with the 15.5mph & 250w limits?

If it's any sort of more powerful electric bike it's legally a motorbike and will require all that comes with that including registration, type approval and a proper motorbike helmet.

If you're after bicycle skills training, most local authorities offer bikability courses, often for free.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Are you getting an electric motorbike rather than an electric pedal cycle?
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

If it is something that is technically a moped or light motorbike, I think motorcycling instructors these days use intercoms to help guide trainees, so maybe best to contact your local instructors to find out whether they supply gear as part of the course, or what is compatible with what they use.

When I decided to get ACU m/c training, which was voluntary then, it was open-face helmets and shouting over the shoulder!
drossall

Post by drossall »

davediamond wrote: 14 Jun 2022, 7:07pm I need a 66cm helmet, too. I'm 6'3" tall, and my head is in proportion.
My head is also 66cm, and I've spent all this year looking for a helmet after CTT made them compulsory in time trials. I looked at the Bontrager Wavecels, though not that Bontrager Quantum that you mentioned. They didn't fit because my head is long and narrow compared to the average, even though the Wavecels are also marketed as 66cm.

I've just, last weekend, found that the MET Idolo does fit, even though it's only marketed as 64cm maximum. Mentioning it in case it's of any use to you. NB unlike yours, my height is at best average. I suppose that means that my head is not in proportion :lol:
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

The Coros SafeSmart helmet has built in speakers and can be paired via Bluetooth to a phone. It may be possible to pair it to other devices.

https://road.cc/content/review/coros-sa ... met-277441

Another alternative is a normal helmet and some bone conduction headphones, these can also be paired via Bluetooth.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
davediamond

Post by davediamond »

Thanks for all your help. I was considering an electric bike, now it's a moped the Tomos XL 45 I think it is.

I'll use bone conduction headphones, at least that's the plan.

So my needs have changed, I need a motorcycle helmet; I believe that's the law. Anyone here know one that'll fit my 66cm head.