Training for Lejog with health issues

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
OverwroughtCats

Training for Lejog with health issues

Post by OverwroughtCats »

Hi everyone, I've been a reader of this forum for a while, but this is my first time posting.
I am hoping to cycle Lands End to John O'Groats next year, or the year after health depending.

I have a few long term health issues, mainly respiratory, that have been compounded with a recent bout of pneumonia, and what the doctors believe is long covid. As such my cycling speed is currently sat at just over 6.2miles per hour (which is up from last month's 4.5miles per hour :lol: )

I want to try and do the trek in 2 weeks so I can do it around work, but 2ith my current speed I'd be doing 17 hour days which just isn't feasible.

Has anyone trained up for this sort of challenge from such a slow start and could offer any advice?

I'm currently cycling every morning before work, between half an hour to just under 2 hours depending on how I'm feeling, alwirh a recent 3 hour cycle this Saturday just gone. I have a few long cycles planned in August that will be 5-6 hour days that I'm hoping I can work up to.

My speed is slowly improving as the weeks go, but I'm worried that I won't ever be able to get to what I'm told is a good average speed of 15miles an hour, it just seems so far out of my reach right now and I could do with ideas for how to keep progressing.
MrsHJ

Re: Training for Lejog with health issues

Post by MrsHJ »

I can’t answer some of the question and I’m no health expert but I’d be wary of letting excellence get in the way of good.

What I mean is that if you’re physically in ok condition but not good enough to do a LEJOG by next whenever due to time constraints don’t let that stop you doing some of it. I remember reading about a guy who had to do his ride across America in 7 sections due to work commitments. Much better than not doing it at all. So if you can do half next spring and half next summer that’s fine in my book. I’m going to have to cycle EV6 in sections or wait til I retire- which might mean I never do it so I’ll be doing it in sections.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome.

How about working up a Plan B: something that you're reasonably confident you can do, and would enjoy.

Then set a date for deciding between the two.

That might be better than deciding late on that you don't want to do the big one and then doing nothing. And better than forcing yourself on the big one and then not being able to do it.

Jonathan
Toffee

Post by Toffee »

OverwroughtCats wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 4:21pm My speed is slowly improving as the weeks go, but I'm worried that I won't ever be able to get to what I'm told is a good average speed of 15miles an hour, it just seems so far out of my reach right now and I could do with ideas for how to keep progressing.
Who told you that.

Mrs T and I did LEJOG 4 years ago over 16 days. Must have averaged 10 mph over the whole distance. Up hill slower thank god the downhills made up for it.

Just get to a sensible fitness and go at a speed that suits you.
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Assume you take 14 days to do 1,000 miles - although there are shorter routes - which give 70 miles a day. Say you ride for 9 hours a day - 8:00 to 17:00 overall including stops, that averages at 8 MPH. Again assume you stop for no more than 3 hours each day (eating, peeing, etc.) that requires 6 hours of riding which gives 11 and a bit MPH on the bike. That is doable and should not be daunting. Given the time and the determination, anyone can do it. 8)
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I was out with two guys this week.

One has lost 3 stone and his COPD is much improved climbed the 5 rise locks without getting off.

The other is 70 cancer survivor and widower getting confidence back to get on the bike.

If those two can do it I reckon you can!!

As you get fitter your average will rise and soon you'll be able to AVG 10mpg which is a decent speed.
15mph AVG takes some doing over a days riding.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The really positive thing is that you have already started and with measurable progress so keep it up. It's inevitable that if you do keep it up, then improvement will tend to level off as you get towards your own peak. By then, you will be your own expert on your own performance.

Riding a route like the End to End is then very much a question of
  • Can you ride the distance in the time available?
  • Do you want to sit on a bike day after day, come rain or shine to be able to say you did it?
That may seem patently obvious but once a certain level of fitness is reached, a lot of the remainder is what's going on in your head.

When you feel you have got to the point where you can ride all day and perhaps a bit more at a push, then try a short tour of two or three days. If you are handy for your anticipated route, consider riding on that. If you find you can do that, then you will have a good idea of whether you can achieve your current goal AND whether you still want to do so.

The LEJOG experts on here will provide all the information you need on choice of route etc if you do go for it.