Spa leather saddles

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
colin54

Re: Spa leather saddles - adjustment compared to Brooks

Post by colin54 »

Is there a larger amount of fore and aft adjustment on the Spa saddles compared to a Brooks, does anyone know ?
Nu-Fogey
JohnW

Re: Spa leather saddles

Post by JohnW »

colin54 wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 12:30pm Is there a larger amount of fore and aft adjustment on the Spa saddles compared to a Brooks, does anyone know ?
Yes - there is - at least for me - I can even get my Spa (Calder) saddle far enough back on a modern frame!
And that's something.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Thanks for that JW, useful to know.
Nu-Fogey
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

colin54 wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 12:30pm Is there a larger amount of fore and aft adjustment on the Spa saddles compared to a Brooks, does anyone know ?
Not unless you exceed the limit marks printed on the rails.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

There have been a couple of previous discussions on this. This thread also links to an earlier one

viewtopic.php?p=1508865&hilit=adjustmen ... s#p1508865
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Thanks for flagging that previous thread vorpal.
I have to confess that jimiews post (above) hadn't occurred to me. I'll have to investigate that. In my incompetence and lack of mental application, I hadn't noticed that! :shock: :roll: :o :oops:
Worth looking in to.- Brooks rails may have been known to fail.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Thanks Jim & Vpl.
Nu-Fogey
jimlews

Post by jimlews »

It has occurred to me to wonder if the limit marks are just decoration.(?)
However, I've not tested it.
I'm comfortable right in the middle.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

Well , It's nice and hot today, so I wheeled Olive out into the sun for 1/2hr to warm up the saddle nicely (Spa Nidd), and then proceeded to smear Olive oil over the leather of the seat, let it soak in,then do it again, and now its slowly sinking in and drying off. I do this about 2wice a year, when the leather dries out too much, have done for past 5 years ish. Saddle is prob about 10 years old plus by now, with...Ooooo, must be over 70,000km on it.
GideonReade

Post by GideonReade »

Re the remark above about Spa saddles similarity to Brooks and (I think it was copyright mentioned)... Did Brooks actually invent the leather saddle? Just because they outlived all the other UK leather saddle makers doesn't necessarily make them the first. And even if they did, wouldn't it have expired?

I went off Brooks when I cut my finger on the riveting inside. Other samples similar, the inside rivet ends were pretty broken up & messy. Didn't strike me as quality kit.

I bought the most basic Spa Nidd in 2015, very comfy, but after 15-20 k miles there was a fracture at the front adjuster - fortunately right outside a workshop with a welder. Done about 5000 miles since, even though the welding has visibly slightly crooked it. I have noticed the leather now has a slight crook to its sag, that may be from the weld, or it could be me - my teenage years Wright saddle did the same, but much worse.

My better half bought the Ti Nidd, and, same miles as me, it's been very good.

I ought really to get myself a new Ti Nidd, and break it in on the winter training bike... But it already has a comfy Selle something padded sofa on it. I seem to be comfy on quite an odd assortment of saddles.
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

I note earlier comments on this aged thread but, unless I’m mistaken, the place of manufacture for the Spa saddles was never clarified and for me that place forms part of the review and informed purchase process.

Spa are a great company, I’ve bought from them in the past and I hope to do so again. I think that making an alternative to Brooks available is good and if I were in the market for a new saddle then I’d want to know more about their offering including its place of manufacture. The bikes that I use most have black B17’s on them and for me and my use they have been near enough ideal *, that’s not to say that I wouldn’t buy another brand or model but rather that I’d need to understand the pros and cons of doing so.

It is arguably another topic but where there is a practical option to do so, and when I can also reasonably afford to do so, then I will not buy things made in low wage economies and will instead buy things made in the UK and EU. It’s a personal choice but also one that I’d encourage others to make too.

* ideal for me includes: comfortable, durable, affordable, reliable, adjustable, of classic and unchanging design, of acceptable appearance, and with the features that I want/need.
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.