Earphones - Transparency Mode

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
simonineaston

Re: Earphones - Transparency Mode

Post by simonineaston »

Fortunately (from the pov of this discussion), I'm not partic. concerned with the science of the issue. I've simply concluded that when I use headphones, in the widest sense, in order to listen to some sort of audio signal, be it music or speech, I'm less able to process other info that makes me a safe road-user.
In my case, that extends to using one earpiece only. And of course there's the obvious reduction in audability of ambient noise due simply to the wearing of the device, be it earbud or any other type of headphone.
Other readers may find that they are better than I am at processing multiple stimuli.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jdsk wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 11:22am
Jdsk wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 11:12am
simonineaston wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 11:08amHowever, to return to the perfectly reasonable question, which is to do with safety, my responce is that with or without 'transparency', my impression is that music does detract from my ability to hear my surroundings. When I first tried them, I was amazed to find out how much I rely on hearing to process the presence of traffic behind me. Any music - or speech, come to that - has a tendancy to mask the detail of the info I might otherwise hear quite readily. I have abandoned, reluctantly, the wearing of any sort of headphone while cycling.
I wouldn't dream of listening to music or wearing any sort of headphones while riding an HPV on public roads.
What do others do?

Thanks

Jonathan
I constantly look forward and to my sides and also keep tabs on what’s going on behind me with a mirror. I don’t feel listening adds much if anything to my safety as wind noise accounts for most of it. In built up areas it’s just constant traffic noise and hard to discern if any of it is a specific danger to you.
I might only use earphones once a year but when I do I don’t feel I’ve endangered myself as I can hear things outwith of what I’m listening to.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
fivebikes

Post by fivebikes »

You say you are a hearing aid user? Some NHS audiology departments are now issuing Bluetooth compatible hearing aids. I am aware of people in the Tunbridge Wells and also Brighton areas being issued with them!
In both cases, Phonak models. They will roll out more widely for certain!
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

I use a single earpiece too (not noise cancelling style). I find long days on the bike, especially on a cycle path (obviously a European feature having long cycle paths but Stanley Tucci reading taste was ace on lengthy Italian gravel earlier this year) make podcasts or audio books nice background. I’m not a commuter or busy road sort of person so that’s what works for me.
rjb

Post by rjb »

I purchased some Bluetooth headphones recently after advice from a young lady at our bus stop. She was over the moon with them. Mine were advertised as noise cancelling but it turned out this is background noise cancellation when using the mic in the headphones on a phone call through your mobile. Not what I expected as my understanding was that noise cancellation was a reduction in background noise when listening through your headphone. Not too disappointed, however Mrs Rjb tells me that I generally nod off after 10 mins of music listening. :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
IanH

Post by IanH »

I've had NHS Hearing Aids since March of this year. The model I have is Danalogic Ambio 67 which is not a "Made for iPhone Compatible Hearing Aid". This means it cannot be used to stream audio or telephone calls directly to the Hearing Aid.
For these functions I need the latest model, the Ambio Smart.
I dare say it will arrive in Somerset eventually?
The full list of iPhone compatible hearing aids may be found at:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210386
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Jdsk wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 11:22am What do others do?

Thanks

Jonathan
I ride mainly on the roads so no headphones at all for me. My ears are my protection; we evolved this way. I need to know what direction a sound is coming from so I can process it to determine if it's a potential threat, and the earlier I hear it the better. I can usually get a fairly accurate warning of large vehicles approaching from behind or at speed and I always have fairly good sense if I'm about to be close passed.

That said, I'm not going to preach to those who chose to wear them in the same way I'm not going to tell someone they should be wearing a helmet.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I tried them yesterday but without anything playing. Apple AirPods (the non-noise cancelling ones without rubber seals). Reason I tried was I was expecting an important telephone call and still wanted to go out for a ride. I suspect the wind noise would mean any music playing would need to be very loud. Should have tried some music to experiment further - maybe another time.

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Wearing my AirPods again today (no music, but expecting an urgent call that cannot be missed). And suddenly this American woman's voice telling me to turn left in 500 feet!

I then realised I was testing my new Garmin navigating a route and the Garmin was connected to the iPhone and thus the Garmin had decided it would use the headphones through the iPhone to give me spoken directions (headphones were definitely connected to phone as they've never been paired to Garmin (didn't even realise the thing could speak) and when e-mails came in to iPhone I still gor the notification beep (though that said, the e-mail notification also pops-up on the Garmin. I did get phone out to check though and it still had the headphones connected.

The one thing it did highlight though was how daft our mixed units are - the Garmin is straight-up Imperial or metric but I seem most comfortable with miles for longer distances but meters for shorter distances (not feet as the Garmin uses in imperial mode). Garmin is right and I'm wrong but I don't think I'm the only person "wrong" in this regard. Considering switching the unit over to metric and giving-up on miles altogether.

Also highlighted a major shortcoming in Norfolk street naming: "In 200 ft turn right on The Street ... In .1 miles turn left on The Street ...In 100 ft turn right on The Street" (with an occasion "Brick Kiln Lane" thrown in.

Ian
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

Jdsk wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 11:22am
Jdsk wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 11:12am
simonineaston wrote: 22 Jun 2022, 11:08amHowever, to return to the perfectly reasonable question, which is to do with safety, my responce is that with or without 'transparency', my impression is that music does detract from my ability to hear my surroundings. When I first tried them, I was amazed to find out how much I rely on hearing to process the presence of traffic behind me. Any music - or speech, come to that - has a tendancy to mask the detail of the info I might otherwise hear quite readily. I have abandoned, reluctantly, the wearing of any sort of headphone while cycling.
I wouldn't dream of listening to music or wearing any sort of headphones while riding an HPV on public roads.
What do others do?

Thanks

Jonathan
With my ears clear, I frequently fail to hear cars approaching, due to wind noise. I therefore don't worry too much about losing awareness through using earphones, especially when they are able to superimpose alerts from my Varia radar over whatever I'm listening to.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I used to use aftershokz titanium. Sound is like leakage from other's headphones until you seat the right in the bone area just forward off the ears. If you knock the band the sound it's badly affected by guy knocking them off your bone, then it's leakage noise only.

Newer aftershokz models are supposed to offer better sound. It's not a great sound but good enough to enjoy on a ride.

Safety? I have no idea about the science of it but my personal experience is that they don't stop me hearing what I could without them. It's definitely the case for me that I switch concentration from music to surrounding noise and back again.

Distraction? I personally get more distracted by my gps display. Keeping my speed up, trying to beat previous times, etc. I'm more likely to get distracted by my gps, so if bone conduction headphones are out due to distraction then perhaps the gps should be left behind too. Also cycling in groups as chatting is a distraction too.

A good, modern, nine conduction headphones are OK for cycling in traffics IME and IMHO.
Ayseven

Post by Ayseven »

What about one of those JBL things (other marques are available) that hang off your bag, that connect via Bluetooth to your phone? Mildly annoying for anyone else, but going through the countryside wouldn't have many people around anyways, would it? I've never ridden in the UK, so I don't know.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

If you are concerned about missing phone calls and texts whilst riding, then you can either have your phone securely mounted on the bars using something like a Quadlock, or if you have a Garmin or similar GPS device, if it’s linked to your phone via Bluetooth, then you will get a notification of an incoming call or text and in some cases(short texts), be able to read the text on the Garmin. Also, if you can’t hear vehicles coming up behind you, then I’d recommend a Garmin Varia Radar. This will notify you of approaching traffic from the rear via a beep and a dot running up the side of your GPS head unit. You can also set it up to work with your phone screen, if you don’t have a GPS head unit.

All these things cost money of course!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

TrevA wrote: 8 Jul 2022, 4:55pm If you are concerned about missing phone calls and texts whilst riding, then you can either have your phone securely mounted on the bars using something like a Quadlock, or if you have a Garmin or similar GPS device, if it’s linked to your phone via Bluetooth, then you will get a notification of an incoming call or text and in some cases(short texts), be able to read the text on the Garmin...
My issue is a short term one (normally I'm not worried about missing calls but I'm expecting a couple of really important ones from places that don't call back if you miss the call!) On my bent no bar space and whilst my Garmin does display the notifications, I don't have time to stop, get out the phone and answer it.

But I have found that my AirPods (not playing anything) don't interfere with external noise (hearing vehicles, etc.). In fact at home now I'm listening to music through fabulous quality speakers, still wearing my AirPods without even noticing.

nb my AirPods as the non-seal type that just rest in the ear and are not noise cancelling ones.

Ian
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Yes, there is that - not being quick enough to answer a call. I don’t usually answer calls on the bike unless they are from the Mrs. If it’s important, then they’ll leave a Voicemail and I’ll ring them back at the tea stop or when I’m back home.

I’m too mean to buy AirPods, my phone still has a headphone jack, so I’m still on wired headphones.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com