Transporting bikes advice for day rides

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
swfcdan

Re: Transporting bikes advice for day rides

Post by swfcdan »

gcogger wrote: 7 May 2022, 7:18pm Something is wrong if removing/refitting your front wheel stops the brake from working. If you remove and refit the wheel, the brake should be working exactly the same as it was. It's a good idea to fit a disc brake spacer while the wheel is off, in case you accidentally pull the brake lever, but they only cost a few pence if you don't have one.
So I have finally given this a go over the weekend. I took front wheel off using my bike stand...then realised I wouldn't have a stand when out in the countryside! :) So I did it again on the floor, seems can either have bike upright using legs to sandwich it to hold it in place or put it upside down resting on saddle. Which way do most people use?

I did it using a youtube video on how best to remove the front wheel (don't need to remove rear thankfully to fit it in car), and I did get spacer to put in brake gap to stop pads moving, as mine is hydraulic. Still had a little bit of rubbing when I refitted it when out, could hear a small amount of rubbing as I span the wheel. But it rode ok thankfully so had a decent ride. Since coming home I still can't get it to spin perfectly smoothly, having the same amount of rubbing again even using my bike stand (initially I had more but readjusting it). It just seems very fiddly to get the cassette perfectly in the middle of the brake pads! Once the wheel's in place it can still move laterally, so I have to try and position it in the middle of the pads (which you need eyesight like a hawk to look in the brake pads to see) and then tighten. Getting very frustrating as I want to get it right and I'm sure there must be a proper knack to do it!

Can anyone give more advice please? Youtube is hard to find the right video as mine wheel doesn't have a through axle shaft, but this video I used says it is a standard quick release with a nut (bike on the left). Tried his tip on how to fix rubbing but it didn't work for me :? :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5OVeDa ... cyclesEast
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

This is a better video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SS0LXIQEOGA

You do NOT need to remove the skewer as in the video you linked to, that'll result in the nut and spring bouncing off under the fridge.

I'm assuming that the caliper is fitted correctly and the pads are in it correctly?
You should not need to touch the caliper during wheel removal - it absolutely does not need to be loosened or unbolted!

It can be done with the bike right way up or upside down, that shouldn't make any difference although if you're on your own and don't have a convenient wall to lean the bike against, it's easier upside down (assuming of course that the bars don't have lights, computer, phone etc mounted to them!)

If you get any rubbing, simply jam the brake on and off a couple of times, that'll re-centre the pistons.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Jdsk wrote: 7 May 2022, 6:47pm
swfcdan wrote: 7 May 2022, 6:41pmIf I go out with my partner (only occasionally) then we do use a rear mounted cycle carrier, which works but is a lot of hassle setting it up (and we can't leave it on as it doesn't fit in the garage). But when I want to go out cycling somewhere myself, or meet a friend there, I can't manage the rack myself with one person (well I possibly could but it would take even longer and so not worth it).
We use Pendle vertical bars on a towbar fitting. Quick to install and remove, fit in the boot, and a very low lift.
https://pbr.co.uk/products/hang-on-towbar-rack

Jonathan

Interesting you find these a low lift. I still have a set bought in the late 90's, all black in those days. Very strong (heavy) and capable of carrying 4 bikes. Once on they were very secure but we added a strap to the tailgate to take out the bounce from all that weight on the rack.
I found the bikes obscured the view from the interior mirror. We drove thousands of miles using them and never had a problem.
I now use a smaller two bike rack that folds. Not nearly as strong but the lift is much lower and the bikes don't obscure the rear view as much.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

swfcdan wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 11:31am ........... It just seems very fiddly to get the cassette perfectly in the middle of the brake pads! Once the wheel's in place it can still move laterally, so I have to try and position it in the middle of the pads (which you need eyesight like a hawk to look in the brake pads to see) and then tighten...........
But thats not how to do it. See post on page one by "PT 1029"
You have to get the wheel fully home in the dropout, so the wheel is in the same place every time.
I prefer to do this with the bike standing on its wheels.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

swfcdan wrote: 7 May 2022, 6:41pm I do cycle to work and around my city, but the one thing holding me back from cycling more out in the countryside is the inability to transport my bike to places I want to ride (and I'm not fit enough or have the desire to start cycling from home to further out places).

If I go out with my partner (only occasionally) then we do use a rear mounted cycle carrier, which works but is a lot of hassle setting it up (and we can't leave it on as it doesn't fit in the garage). But when I want to go out cycling somewhere myself, or meet a friend there, I can't manage the rack myself with one person (well I possibly could but it would take even longer and so not worth it).

I've tried fitting the bike inside our large car with seats down and passengers pushed forward, but it still doesn't fit in properly, and is a royal pain in the backside even to try as it keeps getting stuck on seats etc.

My only thoughts now are to try fitting the bike inside with the front wheel removed. I would always have tried that but having disc brakes, it means I lose the alignment when I put the wheel back on, so the front brake won't work properly, and I'm not a bike savvy person. Or is there a knack to doing it and it's not actually that difficult?

Only other option is to take the bike on a train, but that's always seemed like a fair bit of hassle to me and not worth it unless going longer distances- though I would like to try it sometime in future. Do all train companies offer bike spaces? But I imagine there's a fair bit of extra cost too?

Where about in the UK do you live?
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
swfcdan

Post by swfcdan »

rareposter wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 12:06pm This is a better video:

You do NOT need to remove the skewer as in the video you linked to, that'll result in the nut and spring bouncing off under the fridge.

I'm assuming that the caliper is fitted correctly and the pads are in it correctly?
You should not need to touch the caliper during wheel removal - it absolutely does not need to be loosened or unbolted!

It can be done with the bike right way up or upside down, that shouldn't make any difference although if you're on your own and don't have a convenient wall to lean the bike against, it's easier upside down (assuming of course that the bars don't have lights, computer, phone etc mounted to them!)

If you get any rubbing, simply jam the brake on and off a couple of times, that'll re-centre the pistons.
That sorted it! Never expected that to work so hadn't tried it before, not sure why it can stop rubbing but anyway I'm glad I've cracked it :D
Removing and refitting upside down is much easier, makes sure the wheel is fully in place properly. I take some bubble wrap to lay on the floor to protect the saddle, and then it helps prevent and scratching when the front wheel is loose on top of the bike in the boot.

Awesome that I can transport the bike easily enough now, opens up so many more possibilities for riding! Cheers.
swfcdan

Post by swfcdan »

swfcdan wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 4:19pm

That sorted it! Never expected that to work so hadn't tried it before, not sure why it can stop rubbing but anyway I'm glad I've cracked it :D No idea why none of the videos I watched suggested that...
Removing and refitting upside down is much easier, makes sure the wheel is fully in place properly. I take some bubble wrap to lay on the floor to protect the saddle, and then it helps prevent and scratching when the front wheel is loose on top of the bike in the boot.

Awesome that I can transport the bike easily enough now, opens up so many more possibilities for riding! Cheers.
swfcdan

Post by swfcdan »

That sorted it! Never expected that to work so hadn't tried it before, not sure why it can stop rubbing but anyway I'm glad I've cracked it :D No idea why none of the videos I watched suggested that...