Which 11sp Chain

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Jules59

Re: Which 11sp Chain

Post by Jules59 »

Jules59 wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 2:26pm Is it possible to distinguish between a KMC X11 and a KMC X11 EPT chain ?
Just wondered what is on my bike.
Contacted KMC via their Whatsapp chat. Almost instant reply - question answered - yes you can. So my chain is a X11 chain with silver and grey links, not EPT which has all grey links.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Slowtwitch wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 10:01am
iandusud wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 9:59am
Slowtwitch wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 3:05pm Directional means nothing imo, just another bit of marketing hype.
The Shimano directional HG54 (10 speed) chain definitely needs to fitted the right way round and when fitted correctly gives very good downshifts (going to larger sprockets). I'm generally a bit cynical about such stuff but these chains are very impressive.
I was referring to the KMC chains in the thread above, which can be fitted either direction
This doesn't make sense. It's accepted that KMC aren't directional but the controversy is about the shimano chains.
I am here. Where are you?
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Cowsham wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 11:19am
The Shimano directional HG54 (10 speed) chain definitely needs to fitted the right way round and when fitted correctly gives very good downshifts (going to larger sprockets). I'm generally a bit cynical about such stuff but these chains are very impressive.
I was referring to the KMC chains in the thread above, which can be fitted either direction
This doesn't make sense. It's accepted that KMC aren't directional but the controversy is about the shimano chains.
If you care to read up thread there was a discussion about KMC chains, and the verdict was that only shimano chains were directional.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Slowtwitch wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 11:44am
Cowsham wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 11:19am

If you care to read up thread there was a discussion about KMC chains, and the verdict was that only shimano chains were directional.
OK
CJ

Post by CJ »

Sounds like a whole box of frogs. Glad I don't have to advise which one to kiss anymore! So I'm definitely sticking at 10-speed. This gear-inflation madness has to stop somewhere and not buying into the Spinal Tap notion that something's better just 'cos it "goes to eleven" seems like an excellent place to draw the line!
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

ElCani wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 7:39pm
Cowsham wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 6:39pm
ElCani wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 5:59pm I am confused.
How can you be so sure that the problem is not an excessively worn cassette?
Because I put a brand spanking new cassette on with the new chain. Same result -- no amount of adjusting helps. Put the old shim again back on -- no skip -- put old cassette on -- no skip --
Oh. Am I going mad, or is this the first time you’ve stated that you’ve tried the new cassette, new chain combo? From your earlier post where you described what you did I understood that you’d bought a new cassette but not yet fitted it?
Yes, I thought it was the first time Cowsham stated that.
There's something odd going on here.
Cowsham, have you checked for the possibility that your new chain is counterfeit?
iandusud

Post by iandusud »

Slowtwitch wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 3:05pm Directional means nothing imo, just another bit of marketing hype.
Point taken. I have no experience of KMC directional chains.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

Chris Jeggo wrote: 24 Feb 2022, 4:06pm
ElCani wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 7:39pm

Because I put a brand spanking new cassette on with the new chain. Same result -- no amount of adjusting helps. Put the old shim again back on -- no skip -- put old cassette on -- no skip --
Oh. Am I going mad, or is this the first time you’ve stated that you’ve tried the new cassette, new chain combo? From your earlier post where you described what you did I understood that you’d bought a new cassette but not yet fitted it?
Yes, I thought it was the first time Cowsham stated that.
There's something odd going on here.
Cowsham, have you checked for the possibility that your new chain is counterfeit?
Sorry about not being clear but I had assumed that you'd understand that 'before I fitted the new cassette ' meant that I'd fitted it eventually. Anyhow there's no point in arguing about words cos it doesn't get me any closer to a chain or fix for the skipping problem, so I apologize for that.

New shimano chain due soon so will update you on the result.

Meanwhile I will investigate the kmc chain -- maybe it is a fake.
walter_neff

Post by walter_neff »

Decathlon's own brand 11 speed chain is a reboxed KMC (stamped on the link plates), presumably the lowest spec one given that it's only £14.99 for 118 links.
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

ElCani wrote: 23 Feb 2022, 5:59pm I am confused. The behaviour you describe is exactly that which is associated with a cassette that has sprockets which are worn beyond the point at which they will accept a new chain. You cannot tell whether this has happened or not just by looking at the cassette or seeing how floppy the chain is. The picture you posted indicates how much side-to-side flexibility the chain has and says nothing about pin wear.

Measuring the chain length will show you how much ‘stretch’ the chain has, often anything between 0.75 and 1% will skip on a new cassette. But you don’t even need to bother doing this, because the fact that your new chain skips on the smaller sprockets of the old cassette tells you all you need to know! Assuming you know how to adjust a drivetrain, which it sounds like you do.

How can you be so sure that the problem is not an excessively worn cassette?
Have to have a slice of humble pie here.

This is the update.

I eventually got the new shimano chain and had thought at first there was no skip on the old cassette when I fitted it but I have not been out much on the cube since spring I'm mainly on the road bike.

Recently I was in the IOM with the cube loaded up with camping stuff. Going up some lesser hills I stood on the pedals in the 11 tooth cassette cog. SKIP! AGHHH!

When I got home I stood hard on the wee cog again and yes it was still skipping links. I even used my slow motion gopro style camera fastened to the rh seat stay and have video of it.

Couldn't get any other sprocket to skip ( originally the 11T and 13T sprockets were skipping with the KMC chain but with new shimano chain only the smallest one slips )

Anyway I refitted the new cassette with the new shimano chain and no skip no matter how hard I stamp.

I then thought no I'm not going to keep the brand new cassette ( at £70! ) on the bike but save it for when the larger sprockets start to give trouble, so I ordered the two smallest gears ( about £10 each ) and fitted them on the old cassette. No Skip !

Sorry Elcani you and a few others were of course correct about the cassette wear being the cause. :oops: