Should I cycle to work?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Elephant_Fan

Should I cycle to work?

Post by Elephant_Fan »

Well, this is a cycling forum, so I expect everyone will say yes (and if it was a car forum, everyone would say no), but I'm going to ask anyway.

My other half took me into the local e-bike shop last week and, again, I thought about cycling to work. My motive is to get fit.

I tried this some years ago when my office moved closer to my home (5 miles), but the headaches were so bad that I had to give up and sell my bike. I also had to spend £240 on physio appointments to sort me out.

This past year I've put on 2.5 stone and am feeling very unfit. It would be nice to get exercise into my life by simply replacing my drive with riding a bike, rather than planning on going to the gym but never getting there.

Originally, no one on the internet admitted that cycling can cause headaches due to muscle tension, but now there is a lot more information out there. I thought I could have a "bike fit" appointment to check positioning, visit physio/osteopath regularly for the first few months, do the neck stretches shown online, do core strength exercises and maybe cycling could work for me. My parking pass is valid until September, so I could build up gradually over the summer. But I'm very worried as those headaches were debilitating. Plus now, of course, I'm older and less fit - 53, short, female and overweight.

Other concerns are cycling on rural roads with no street lights, winter weather, coming off my bike or breaking down.

What about keeping my car road ready when I'm not driving it for weeks on end? I live in the village and wouldn't get rid of the car. Driving in one day a week would be difficult because I wouldn't be getting my annual parking pass and, of course, that one day easily becomes two etc until I'm back to driving in every day.

I don't think cycling will save me much money (I think it'll be more expensive, actually), so that's not a consideration.

I probably should forget about the idea, but I would love to fit fitness seamlessly into my day.
francovendee

Re: Should I cycle to work?

Post by francovendee »

If apart from carrying too much weight you are generally fit and have no underlying health issues then I wonder if your headaches are due to stress? Riding a bike you are more vulnerable and to stay safe you have to be aware of the 'what ifs?'.
As you cycle more often this heightened awareness is something you have without realising.

It is sometimes easier to see the problems if you go by bike rather than to see the benefits to you and the planet.

If the physical effort needed to cycle is part of the cause of your headaches then an ebike will help you overcome this.

I hope you find a way to solve the snags and end up as a keen cyclist.

My wife was unable to ride a bike as a child and only learnt in her forties. She insisted to me she couldn't as she had no sense of balance.
We proved her wrong :D
We cycle most days and usually manage about 5000 miles each year.
Good luck.
irc

Post by irc »

Elephant_Fan wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 8:41pm Other concerns are cycling on rural roads with no street lights, winter weather, coming off my bike or breaking down.
.................snipped ................
I don't think cycling will save me much money (I think it'll be more expensive, actually), so that's not a consideration.
Rural roads? Depends on traffic levels, sight lines etc. There are some roads I won't use. Usually there is a work round on a different track or road even if it adds a mile or two.

Lights? If you work 9-5ish most of the year it ian't an issue.

Winter. If there is a risk of ice I don't cycle. A broken hip would outweigh any fitness gained by not having a break from cycling for a week or two.

Coming off? It isn't necessarily going to happen. Try and avoid it by being aware of the surface on the road ahead. Avoid riding over potholes (obviously) and any street furniture like manhole covers which are slippery when wet. Avoid any patches of gravel, broken glass etc..

Wear gloves all year round to protect the skin of your palms if you do fall off. Short fingered cycling gloves with padded palms in the summer. Consider a helmet.

Break downs? Most likely are puctures. Reduce the frequency by having resistant tyres like Schwalbe Maratnon Plus. They virtually elimiate punctures. Carry a lock and a phone. If you break down phone a friend/partner/taxi to get you to home/work. If you need to leave the bike then lock it or maybe ask someone if you can leave it in there garden.

It isn't all or nothing. Riding to work twice a week is a lot better than nothing. Monday/Thursday or Tuesday/Friday means you have two clear days between rides for any issues to clear up.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Elephant_Fan wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 8:41pm ...............Originally, no one on the internet admitted that cycling can cause headaches due to muscle tension, but now there is a lot more information out there. I thought I could have a "bike fit" appointment to check positioning, visit physio/osteopath regularly for the first few months, do the neck stretches shown online, do core strength exercises and maybe cycling could work for me. My parking pass is valid until September, so I could build up gradually over the summer. But I'm very worried as those headaches were debilitating. Plus now, of course, I'm older and less fit - 53, short, female and overweight...............
More information, please!
Is this tension in your neck/shoulders causing headaches?
That sort of muscle tension can be due to (at least) 2 things......
1 worrying about something going wrong
2 poor riding position

For 2, read my DIY bike fit piece linked below, its aimed at recreational/touring cyclists. Most "Commercial" bike fitters aim at racing cyclists, because thats where the money is.
For 1, get used to riding your bike when and where there is no time pressure, and little or no traffic. Stick the bike in the car to get to somewhere to ride, if you need to. "Sustrans" is an organisation which organises a lot of traffic free cycle routes all over the country, although its fair to say they are variable in quality.

stripped down to basics, cycling is a simple, relaxing pleasure. you need to be bimbling along in the fresh air with a smile on your face.

Google "inclusive cycling your town" you will probably find an organisation devoted to encouraging people to "have a go"
jamm13dodger

Post by jamm13dodger »

Where are you based? A reasonable, safe route to and from work will play an important role in keeping up the commute.
I started about 18 months ago on a bosch powered emtb. That gave me 85Nm of assistance. I got myself a new electric bike with a lower powered Fazua motor bike this spring as I had built up my fitness and didn't need quite as much help. It's definitely a good idea to go for the electric bike and you can and will lose weight and get fitter if you also manage your diet. I've gone from just under 16st down to 13st in those 18 months.

I know the money isn't a consideration but I bought the bike on the cyclecheme at my workplace and the monthly cost is less than I would be spending on diesel. I also feel happier after the ride.

Final thought is go for a bike you can fit panniers to. A backpack gave me very tense shoulders and a headache as you described. The panniers made all the difference.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Are you (OP) asking if you should or should not buy an e-bike or have you already purchased the e-bike and are wondering about cycling to work.

If wondering about buying the e-bike - only you can answer that but don't only regard it as only for commuting but consider leisure rides outside working hours.

Does your partner ride and if so would you both enjoy heading out for a ride some weekends? (or is he/she a head down "training" cyclist racing against Strava?).

I can appreciate people wanting e-bikes for commuting but they are more expensive so if cost is making the decision harder, you could initially ignore the commuting and go for a non powered bike (a lot lot cheaper) and only once fitter consider commuting (it wont be long until you regard 5 miles as a trivial distance). When I took-up cycling 8'ish years ago on my early short rides I was dreaming that maybe one day I'll be able to cycle to local supermarket 10 miles away and do the shopping; since then (more recently) I've been cycle touring for trips several months long doing 40-60 miles a day. Others do far greater distances and those resuming cycling as an adult likely restarted on short rides.

I ride a non powered bike and over time have suffered issues (bum and knees) but a bit of exploring internet, trying advice from others, etc. and I've resolved them and/or managed to "side step" them (e.g. when knees start to suffer, jumpers knee straps - soon enough that I'm not incapacitated). When somebody says "Do <xyz> to solve it" I'll try and understand and if it makes sense try it and some advice will help, other advice wont and I'll ask for more help and ideas, etc. I can't help re: headaches as I don't suffer from them. But the physio you saw before presumably told you why they were happening rather than just treating (if not change physio).

One important aspect must be bike fitting you properly and there are a lot of bike shops I would NOT trust to advise on this - for many their only priority is to make a sale and if you appear to "like" a bike that does not fit well then they are more likely to sell something you are positive about than something better fit but you don't see so keen on. When I was looking I made sure that shop had the models in my size and size larger and size smaller than my size - so no pressure about them pushing one the wrong size 'cos they want the sale today.

Do some internet searches about how to size a bike, ask questions here, etc. Getting a bike that is the right size will eliminate one potential cause of many problems.

Bikes are incredibly versatile e.g. commuting, out at weekends to just enjoy the countryside/area, shopping, group rides with other locals, even cycle touring (camping or B&B), etc.. Different aspects appeal to different people.

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Elephant_Fan wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 8:41pmBut I'm very worried as those headaches were debilitating.
If you have debilitating headaches I strongly recommend talking to your GP.

Jonathan
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Elephant_Fan wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 8:41pm Well, this is a cycling forum, so I expect everyone will say yes (and if it was a car forum, everyone would say no), but I'm going to ask anyway.

I tried this some years ago when my office moved closer to my home (5 miles), but the headaches were so bad that I had to give up and sell my bike. I also had to spend £240 on physio appointments to sort me out.

This past year I've put on 2.5 stone and am feeling very unfit. It would be nice to get exercise into my life by simply replacing my drive with riding a bike, rather than planning on going to the gym but never getting there.

Originally, no one on the internet admitted that cycling can cause headaches due to muscle tension, but now there is a lot more information out there.

Other concerns are cycling on rural roads with no street lights, winter weather, coming off my bike or breaking down.
Completely understand where your coming from about the headaches. A good number of years ago I started to have headaches every Monday on Tuesday of each week. Some were so bad I had to take days of from work, and at the height of them I was having 1, sometimes 2 days sick every month.
After trying everything, lighting, diet, sleep and changing pillows, I totally changed the riding position on my bike.

I went from this;
Straight bars, on level with saddle (which isn't the most radical of positions)
20190929_135406.jpg
To this, pull back handlebars, above saddle level, and a lay back seat post
20220620_114358.jpg
Which is even less radical. I've now got zero tension across my shoulder blades and neck and my headaches have reduced to one every other month (and they've greatly reduced on intensity, too - so far this year only 1 day off sick due to my headaches :-D)
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

There is bound to be a local cycle traing scheme. Have a word. A half decent instructor will get a bike set up properly which is crucial for comfort. Many people get this wrong and sadly it puts many a newcomer off.
Just a thought.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

How much is your parking pass per year ? always worth keeping a back up plan .so
There are so many benefits from cycling once you get over the initial hurdles but then again we are biased :) .I am a year older and do a manual job working odd shifts so on late shift i dont get home till 1 am with a 10 mile each way commute so its doable as long as you get the right sort of bike and the right set up for your needs assuming you have no underlying conditions ?
As for commuting in the dark its dependant on your road conditions , time of day , traffic and confidence ,As others have said if your doing office hours then it will never be completely dark and you can get very powerful lights that are as bright as a car light ,On late shift i do take a longer route home as my daylight return route is up a single track country lane uphill where i have had sheep, owls , badgers etc etc and its a bit dis-concerting hearing rustling in the bushes when its pitch black !
If your prepared to have an higher initial outlay then might an ebike be useful ?it would certainly make the ride easier and if you get a model with different levels of assist you can make it as easy or as hard as you want, think of the cost saving of fuel against bike cost .
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

mattsccm wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 8:33pm There is bound to be a local cycle traing scheme. Have a word. A half decent instructor will get a bike set up properly which is crucial for comfort. Many people get this wrong and sadly it puts many a newcomer off.
Just a thought.
Absolutely.. equally if you listen to your own body, it will might tell you...
Hold your arms out at a height of somewhere between your rib cage and your stomach, but with your hands at 90 degrees like your holding a broom handle or handlebars. Hold it for a few minutes, and just listen to your shoulders and neck.
Now turn your wrists so it looks like you're wheeling a wheel barrow and drop your arms a bit.
Which position is more relaxing?
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Elephant_Fan wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 8:41pm

Plus now, of course, I'm older and less fit - 53, short, female and overweight.

I probably should forget about the idea, but I would love to fit fitness seamlessly into my day.
The answer is a resounding YES. You are given only one extremely efficient vehicle in your life (your own body!) and you should do your utmost to look after it.

Only you can make the decision to get out there and use the bike for commuting. 5 miles is a good distance. Forget gym membership, waste of time and money for most people.

How on Earth could cycling cost more than running a car?

Just get out on the bike, put in a bit of effort, get the heart pumping and start losing the weight. It really is that simple but you need to want to do it and stop thinking of the negatives. Simple.

Anyway, all the best in your endeavours!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Most people would benefit from more exercise. Cycling is an excellent way to get it.

But you're unlikely to lose 16 kg of body mass by exercise alone. Any thoughts about your diet?

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Elephant_Fan wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 8:41pmWhat about keeping my car road ready when I'm not driving it for weeks on end? I live in the village and wouldn't get rid of the car. Driving in one day a week would be difficult because I wouldn't be getting my annual parking pass and, of course, that one day easily becomes two etc until I'm back to driving in every day.

Most cars will be absolutely fine if left unused for a few weeks. But the parasitic electrical losses vary enormously between models. And batteries get tired. So check first.

The first step in considering not having a car at all is to calculate your current costs and how you'd manage on the occasions that a bike won't do the job. You can pay for a lot of taxi rides and rentals with the avoided cost.

Jonathan
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Elephant_Fan wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 8:41pm Well, this is a cycling forum, so I expect everyone will say yes (and if it was a car forum, everyone would say no), but I'm going to ask anyway.

My other half took me into the local e-bike shop last week and, again, I thought about cycling to work. My motive is to get fit.

Originally, no one on the internet admitted that cycling can cause headaches due to muscle tension, but now there is a lot more information out there. I thought I could have a "bike fit" appointment to check positioning, visit physio/osteopath regularly for the first few months, do the neck stretches shown online, do core strength exercises and maybe cycling could work for me. My parking pass is valid until September, so I could build up gradually over the summer. But I'm very worried as those headaches were debilitating. Plus now, of course, I'm older and less fit - 53, short, female and overweight.

What about keeping my car road ready when I'm not driving it for weeks on end? I live in the village and wouldn't get rid of the car. Driving in one day a week would be difficult because I wouldn't be getting my annual parking pass and, of course, that one day easily becomes two etc until I'm back to driving in every day.

I have a car and I regularly cycle to the 14 mile round trip to work. It's a mixture of City and rural roads with a couple of hefty hills. I'm not going to lie, it was hard to start with, but your fitness will come with time. I burn around 600 calories a day on my rides which is more than a decent gym workout. You can start by cycling 2 or 3 days a week until your fitness improves and then build up from there. It eventually becomes habit and you become more efficient at getting from a to b on your bike as you gain experience. You do have to do a bit more forward thinking compared to say jumping in the car, but again that gets easier the more you do it.

With regard to winter weather not an issue with the right clothing, but you do need to have a positive mental attitude to get you through the worst of the winter weather. Coming off your bike is always a worry, but we just deal with that when it happens. There is not really an awful lot you can do to prepare for that, although I do carry a space blanket and a pack of plasters in my bag just in case.

Breaking down is also a worry, but preventative maintenance covers off most of that (especially chain maintenance). The only real things you might have to deal with roadside are punctures (puncture resistant tyres and maintaining a good tyres pressure help a lot to prevent issues) and chain problems. I carry a multi-tool (with chain breaker), a couple of tyre levers, a puncture repair kit, a spare tube, a couple of split links for the chain and a mini pump. It sounds like a lot, but it really isn't. You just need to be competent with the basics.

With the cost of fuel I am saving a fair bit of money. The initial cost of cycling (bike/clothing/tools & spares + potentially a bike fit) is easily offset by the savings in fuel over a year, especially if your drive only a short distance where your vehicles fuel economy will be at its worst.