pre Hyperglide, which chain?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
simonineaston

pre Hyperglide, which chain?

Post by simonineaston »

Readers may have noticed another topic, titled SunTour freewheel, sprockets and compatibility. I've been v. lucky in that I now have a nos Winner Pro body, loaded with unused sprockets, as well as having been able to restore the original Regina freewheel back to usability by replacing the one, badly worn, #3 sprocket.
So this has lead to another burning Q.. Back in the day, before the advent of carefully-profiled teeth courtesy Shimano's well-staffed R&D dept. and their matching chains, what chain/s were regarded as the best performers to use, with old-school freewheels? And are they still made?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
tatanab

Re: pre Hyperglide, which chain?

Post by tatanab »

In such circumstances I use bog standard SRAM 8 speed chains which run happily on 5 speed and up to 8. Tuesday I was out on a 1956 machine equipped with one of those chains and gear changes were just fine with not a hint of Japanese equipment in sight.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Cool! I've got a name in mind, but to be perfectly honest, now at my age, a lot of memoeries jumble up in to one...
The name I have in mind is Sedisport.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

Yes, Sedisport was the name several decades ago, and they were the usual brand for us to ride especially with what were then called compact freewheels e.g. 6 in the space of 5. I think they may have become part of the SRAM brand. see http://www.bikepro.com/products/chains/sachs-sedis.html
Last edited by tatanab on 23 Jun 2022, 11:23am, edited 1 time in total.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Sedis sport, Sedis, It's what I use because I'm a purist :mrgreen:

But they cost the Earth and you might not even be to buy one anymore.

I have a reasonable stock of course because I'm stupid.

When you're riding it there's a lot of mechanical clunking and whiring :x
But I like it like that.

Ad said if use a later say eight speed chain or 6-8 speed chain then the gear changing can be quite acceptable.

I'm even considering that type of set up myself.

Uniglide of course, And someone will correct me but the five-speed might have been called something else?

Five-speed freewheels regina etc, It was a good day when I went over to Shimano free wheels.
I do have a SunTour free wheel, which is a bit like a Rolls-Royce, unfortunately it's still a free wheel And not a cassette!
Last Time I used one I managed 1000 miles on the turbo before the axle broke.
That was a solid axle, I'm about the same mileage on a Shimano copy hollow axle again on a free wheel.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

there's a lot of mechanical clunking and whiring
That was what I was trying to avoid. Academic anyway, as I see that although the company is still in business, they appear to have abandoned the bicycle market. I might just go with a KMC.
S
rjb

Post by rjb »

Sedis were one of the first to market bushless chains. I purchased one on the local cycle shop advice to replace a bushed Reynolds one which kept developing stiff links when trying to change over a 6 speed Regina block. No idea what the chainline was but the sedis chain coped with it.
Sedis were gobbled up by Sachs then SRAM along with several other small European manufacturers so they could assemble a groupset to rival the likes of Shimano and suntour.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

Sometimes I've found it necessary to use a wider chain than an 8 speed on an old freewheel bike. The shifting at the back will probably be fine but an 8 speed chain can cause problems with the wider spaced chainrings of older chainsets.

I've had a couple where an 8 speed chain was just a little too narrow. When shifting down at the front, the chain would sit against the inner face of the big ring while skating on the teeth of the small ring. Adjusting the front mech to knock the chain further inboard resulted in the chain dropping off entirely. Using a cheap wider 6 speed chain cured the issue.

Ah, I've just seen that there is a current thread discussing this issue over on the bike and bits forum.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

A Sedisport is essentially the same as a SRAM "up to 8 speed" chain, although I think the original was 5-7 speed only. Used to buy them cut from bulk length for £4 in the 90s
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Excellent tips, folks! I settled on an igh, back around 1995, so chains have never really been an issue, but now I have a battered and bruised old Moulton with a freewheel, dating from the mid eighties, chain choice has suddenly become an issue!
S
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

When i wanted a new chain for my Eroica bike running 6sp Sun Tour New Winner i went through all manner of chains to find one that didn't clank, 7sp (supposed to do 5 & 6 too), 8sp, 9sp and eventually 10sp. I tried Sedis/Sram, Shimano but eventually settled on a KMC X10 which actually runs smoother than my old Regina Oro ever did! Sometimes its worth looking outside of the box.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Thanks fr :-)
I've seen nos Regina chains, going for more than I want to pay, so it's a relief to hear that a KMC 10x is a good fit.
S