place to sleep

Specific board for this popular undertaking.
peregrino

place to sleep

Post by peregrino »

Hi,
I´m trying to reserve a bedroon for next month near London but it´s not easy.
Can you tell me the best camping or place to stay between Stansted and the center of London?

I need to sleep one nigth in London at the beginning and end of GB divide, because I need to leave the Box of the bicycle

Thanks,

Ricardo
Vorpal

Re: place to sleep

Post by Vorpal »

Lee Valley? they have a number of accomodation options, including a YHA and camping https://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/where-to-stay

You can also camp in Epping Forest, but you have to get a licence beforehand. There are bylaws against wild camping.

If you are flying out from Stansted, there are also some places in that immediate vicinity, Bishops Stortford, Takeley, and on the Stansted Mountfitchet side of the airport.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
peregrino

Post by peregrino »

Vorpal wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 11:53am Lee Valley? they have a number of accomodation options, including a YHA and camping https://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/where-to-stay

You can also camp in Epping Forest, but you have to get a licence beforehand. There are bylaws against wild camping.

If you are flying out from Stansted, there are also some places in that immediate vicinity, Bishops Stortford, Takeley, and on the Stansted Mountfitchet side of the airport.
Hi Vorpal,

Yes, my first option was Lee Valley. The YHA it´s full for several days. There are there lots of campings too, I´m thinking in Lee Valley Camping and Caravan Park, Edmonton near Ponders End.

About wild camping rules, I know is forbidenn in England, but if I don´t find any camping site during my trip, I will put the tent in the ground somehere.
Is the police very strict?

I found an hostel near Harlow at price lower thas Camping :-)

Thanks

Ricardo
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

peregrino wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 2:37pm
About wild camping rules, I know is forbidenn in England, but if I don´t find any camping site during my trip, I will put the tent in the ground somehere.

In the past, they haven't been strict about wild camping, but there is a new law that makes it criminal act, so I honestly wouldn't risk it so close to populated areas.

In Epping Forest, it has always required a licence.

Camping used to be allowed in Hatfield Forest, but only seems to be associated with special events, now. I guess you could call and ask if camping is still allowed?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
peregrino

Post by peregrino »

Vorpal wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 3:45pm
peregrino wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 2:37pm

In the past, they haven't been strict about wild camping, but there is a new law that makes it criminal act, so I honestly wouldn't risk it so close to populated areas.

In Epping Forest, it has always required a licence.

Camping used to be allowed in Hatfield Forest, but only seems to be associated with special events, now. I guess you could call and ask if camping is still allowed?
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Try warm showers???

https://www.warmshowers.org/
peregrino

Post by peregrino »

Jamesh wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 7:04pm Try warm showers???

https://www.warmshowers.org/
I´m a member and I receive people in Pottugal.

I found a cheap place in Harlow.

Thanks
Ricardo
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Too late now, but there is a pub almost at the end of Stansted runway that does camping. The Three Horseshoes at Molehill Green.

Another small cheap campsite at High Ongar.

I cycle that area a lot and there are plenty of places you could wildcamp, if discreet. The River Stort/canal would be worth a look. There is a towpath which you can ride on, then just find a suitable spot. Arrive late and leave early
Geoff.D

Post by Geoff.D »

simonhill wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 10:20am .................
I cycle that area a lot and there are plenty of places you could wildcamp, if discreet. The River Stort/canal would be worth a look. There is a towpath which you can ride on, then just find a suitable spot. Arrive late and leave early
I've just completed Lejogle, and included the 4 capital cities en-route (whilst we still have 4 !!). I mainly wild camped and had no problems at all in any of the 4 countries. "Arrive late and leave early" is a good motto, but even arriving as early as 5.30 didn't cause any upset. Discretion in choice of site is useful, even if not always possible.