attitude to guns

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PedallingSquares

Re: attitude to guns

Post by PedallingSquares »

AlanD wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 10:15pm Someone posted a question on Quora. He was coming to the UK on a work assignment and wanted to know if he could bring his AK47 for his personal protection..
That just shows the ignorance of many Americans on just about anything or anywhere outside their own shores :|
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

PedallingSquares wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 11:08am
AlanD wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 10:15pm Someone posted a question on Quora. He was coming to the UK on a work assignment and wanted to know if he could bring his AK47 for his personal protection..
That just shows the ignorance of many Americans on just about anything or anywhere outside their own shores :|
Perhaps he was just wanting to live his one life and had assumed that, as in the US, the UK is full of bogey badmen ready to rob and kill, making an AK47 essential, even though bogeymen cannot be killed by bullets because they're not real?

Many in the US find it difficult to understand why they shouldn't be allowed to do any and everything they want, no matter how dangerous to others. "It's my right!", they cry. What a good job we're not like that here, eh!

Cugel
Last edited by Cugel on 25 Jun 2022, 3:55pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Cugel wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 12:28pm

Many in the US find it difficult to understand why they shouldn't be allowed to do any and everything they want, no matter how dangerous to others. "It's my right!", they cry. What a good job we're not like that here, eh!

Cugel
Except aborting a foetus, .
This liberterian side of the collective American psyche is in conflict with the puritan tendency, the impulse that led to Prohibition and the "war on drugs."
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mike Sales wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 12:48pm
Cugel wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 12:28pm

Cugel
Except aborting a foetus, .
This liberterian side of the collective American psyche is in conflict with the puritan tendency, the impulse that led to Prohibition and the "war on drugs."
A bit off-topic but the "war on drugs" was weird. I was cycling in Bolivia and warned when going down one section of a road not to take any photos because there was a permanent drugs check point (buildings, etc.). I questioned it's effectiveness as there was a road other side of the valley with no check-point and everybody knows about the fixed check-point (so drugs will be transported risk-free on the other road). Answer was "showing willing" meant they get loads of $$$ from the US to fight "the War on Drugs" - being effective was not part of the deal but building, "checkpoint", etc. was something "look at the effort we're making". When I passed through checkpoint and it was deserted, nobody to be seen (it was only a cheapo corrugated iron on a frame anyway).

Ian
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Whilst we are digressing to the war on drugs, there is the peculiar nonsense of the synthetic opioids, fentanyl or oxycontin.
These have caused huge amounts of misery, but the Sacklers seem, for some peculiar reason, to escape the fate of El Chapo, Joaquin Guzman.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joaqu%C3% ... uzm%C3%A1n
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/09/02/poli ... index.html
Back alley drug dealers go to jail when they get caught. Corporate boardroom drug dealers can hide behind bankruptcy and keep most of their billions when they get in trouble.
That's the annoying takeaway from a newly approved bankruptcy settlement that will let the most notorious drug pushers in history, whose company Purdue Pharma got the country hooked on OxyContin -- among the opioid painkillers that have claimed hundreds of thousands of lives -- get immunity from future lawsuits related to the opioid epidemic they helped create.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I see that the assassination of Shinzo Abe is being bandied about as some sort of evidence that gun control does not work. I don't know how the numbers are calculated but the BBC has
On average, there are fewer than 10 gun-related deaths in Japan each year. In 2017, there were just three.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-62074223

IMO success is measured by the number of those who did not die in gun-related deaths.