Touring in Ireland

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Nearholmer

Re: Ireland - Recommendations

Post by Nearholmer »

The weather west of the Shannon is proverbially forty seasons in one day, but you can usually see it coming, and it isn’t usually cold - I have been very wet indeed though, crazily so given that I was wearing ‘proper walking gear’. Power walking is a big thing as a form of exercise in Ireland, and you routinely see couples out in the evening, power walking on lanes wearing trainers, shorts and a tee shirt, each carrying an umbrella.
pwa

Post by pwa »

molly wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 6:58pm Thanks for the responses, they've already given me ideas to build on. I've only booked a one way crossing so that I have the flexibility to choose my route. I'm from the Northern Isles so I guess what counts as busy will be relative. I like the sound of Donegal and Fermanagh. Is wild camping accepted? I might need to intersperse my camping with B&B's but I've noticed prices this year seem to have rocketed :( . What time of year did you travel MrsHJ? Stunning and super friendly are adjectives I like :D
Just go to farms, knock at the door and ask nicely if there is a field they wouldn't mind you using. They may say "no", but I'd expect most to be helpful. It gives you the bonus of meeting some locals and having a chat.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Don't be tempted to include too much. You could use public transport onward from Belfast to access areas further afield but I would recommend starting your tour from there. There's much to see in Northern Ireland and a route that suggests itself to me would be a mostly coastal route from Belfast to Derry, including The Giant's Causeway and possibly a detour to Rathlin Island.

From Derry you could head south over the Sperrin Mountains to Omagh and return to Belfast by way of Armagh or head north around the Inishowen peninsula to Malin Head. If time allows take the ferry across Lough Swilly to Rathmullen and into Co Donegal. At some point head back to Derry and either cycle back to Belfast as previously described or use the train.
Last edited by Norman H on 24 Jun 2022, 3:29pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

I think a trip to Skellig Michael would be a highlight to any trip to Ireland. Not do-able purely by bike, but boats are available from Valentia.
It is an amazing and beautiful place, and gives an idea of the minds and beliefs of past people.
Skellig Michael.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skellig_Michael
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
in4time

Post by in4time »

I’m there atm. Firstly it’s very expensive. Secondly the rain is incessant. That said: I’ve been doing wild Atlantic way hybrid. Basically train to Derry and ride south. Derry to Buncrana. Ferry across to Rathmullan. Head south via Letterkenny.
Down to Donegal.
Donegal to Sligo.
Sligo to Ballina
Ballina to Bangor via coast road.
I’m heading Westport, Galway across to Cork and train north for ferry from Dublin or Belfast.
I’ve not camped because of weather.
B&Bs between €50-70 per night.
When the rain clears the scenery is beautiful.
PM for more 😊