Looking for SPD Road shoes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jules59

Looking for SPD Road shoes

Post by Jules59 »

After 12 years my Shimano RT82 SPD road shoes have just about had it. I've had some of the stitching repaired at the local cobblers and the scuffs on the toes are covered with duct tape. I've searched for something similar but just can't find anything so I've gone for Shimano RC3, but they are SPD-SL.
I have to say I prefer the SPD system and the double sided peddles for quick getaways from standing starts and the ease of walking on recessed cleats when you want explore a bit and take photos.
SPD shoes seem to be mainly MTB these days with velcro fastenings which I dont like the look of.

So I would like some light SPD road shoes with recessed cleats that use a BOA or ratchet closure, and don't cost a fortune - just like my old RT82 shoes
Anyone know of any ?
foxyrider

Re: Looking for SPD Road shoes

Post by foxyrider »

I've got a pair of XLC shoes that i got from Amazon for @ £40 (i was desperate okay) However they tick all the boxes, nice stiff sole, good ventilation, Boa adjustment and they will take both 2 and 3 bolt cleats, comfort is similar to my expensive Spesh Experts.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Shimano do/did until very recently a two bolt road shoe. I am sure that Bontrager do as well. When I ride SPDs on my toad bike I use my MTB shoes which are all the very stiff and racy type with mechanical closures such as ratchets or dials.
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I love RT82s but mine are rather worn so I sought replacements.
I have found some Fizik Terra gravel shoes that should do the business. They have a velcro fastening system which isn't my ideal but works oK.
I also have some Giro Rumble shoes which are more trainer like and lace up. Still quite stiff though.
Both have recessed cleats but not big chunky MTB type soles with studs etc.
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

Seconding above sentiments. I've a pair of second-hand Shimano XC3 shoes, which I've just replaced with some second-hand XC7s (for £50).
They're super stiff in the sole, so give me plenty of feedback, whereas the XC3 is a bit more supple and 'comfortable' (I used inverted commas because they're both actually very comfortable).
I previously had a pair of Fizik Tempo R4's, which were about as stiff as the XC7's in use, so I'm finding them as good as the Look Keo system I used previously.
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

I wanted some Spesh Torch, but unfortunately the new ones don’t have two bolt fitting.
Got some Bontrager Circuit for £99.99 at J E James. Nice shoes with boa and Velcro toe strap.
speedsixdave

Post by speedsixdave »

I have a pair of lace-up Giro Republics which I like very much, so they are of course discontinued now. 2-bolt cleats and quite a low-profile look. But Giro do a range of 2-bolt shoes, some of which are very pricey. They suit my feet, they may or may nor suit yours.

https://www.giro.co.uk/cycling-c45/shoe ... 5#t6:t501
'Gravel' shoes may be what to look out for.
Big wheels good, small wheels better.
Two saddles best!