Heat and What it Does to You

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ANTONISH

Re: Heat and What it Does to You

Post by ANTONISH »

Dingdong wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 8:07am Just returned from 10 days in eastern Spain. Thermometer regularly topped 40C, which I can tolerate but do not really enjoy. Fortunately we slept in air conditioned rooms most evenings, but here are some of the effects of extreme heat on my constitutional!

Exacerbated Sinusitis

Dry mouth/dry cough/lots of peeing

Very disrupted sleep pattern

Constipation followed by the opposite

Intolerance to alcohol, which was latterly making me nauseous

I'm not diabetic, and have recently had a full NHS MOT! What about other people?
I don't like air conditioning - I find it gives me sinus pain - but it could be a life saver for some.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

ANTONISH wrote: 18 Jun 2022, 11:33am
Dingdong wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 8:07am Just returned from 10 days in eastern Spain. Thermometer regularly topped 40C, which I can tolerate but do not really enjoy. Fortunately we slept in air conditioned rooms most evenings, but here are some of the effects of extreme heat on my constitutional!

Exacerbated Sinusitis

Dry mouth/dry cough/lots of peeing

Very disrupted sleep pattern

Constipation followed by the opposite

Intolerance to alcohol, which was latterly making me nauseous

I'm not diabetic, and have recently had a full NHS MOT! What about other people?
I don't like air conditioning - I find it gives me sinus pain - but it could be a life saver for some.
+1
I've often found that where somewhere has air conditioning they set it excessively cold (far cooler than needed to the point where you almost need extra layers) - particularly in the US. I don't know if things have changed recently given the climate damage we are causing and the costs of energy.

Ian
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

simonineaston wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 6:29pm So - a simple question. As the place (locally) gets hotter and hotter and animals remind us of that fact by shifting in a way that Priti Vacant tries her best to prevent folks from doing, what are we going to do about it??
I plan to copy the flowers and birds:
- celebrate spring a little earlier each year
- spend more time in colder/Northern climates each year.

Invest in land in cooler (but sub-arctic) areas, on high ground.

Oh, and I've started investing in high-quality waterproofs, as the number of properly wet days a year seems to be increasing. There's no such thing as bad weather ...

How about you, Simon?? : P
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

How about you, Simon?? : P
In the absence of any clear instruction, I am planning to moan furiously about everything and also to eat more burgers, too which I quite like - by simple good fortune, I am close by to these guys, who make the best burger in the country. I've been a fan since Danny first showed up at my local brewery - what luck !!
On the subject of hypocrisy and animal welfare, I like the T shirt with the caption "ham and eggs - a morning's work for the chicken - a life-time committment for the piggy..." !
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Heat (~30°C) clobbers me these days. 10 years ago my route took me south of Montpellier when the temperature on the road was 42°C: I wasn't exactly sprightly but I didn't have any real problems beyond the warm water in my bottles. T'other week I began to flag when we had 31°C.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

simonineaston wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 9:52am On the subject of hypocrisy and animal welfare, I like the T shirt with the caption "ham and eggs - a morning's work for the chicken - a life-time committment for the piggy..." !
Like it !!!
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Friends have just returned from a cycling holiday in Majorca.We all usually go in early May.They said it was just too hot after 10/11am to cycle with temps hitting 40° :shock:
I'll stick to early/late in the season as anything above 30° and I wilt.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Unfortunately it looks like early heatwaves are here to stay. I'll definitely be looking at holiday bookings in April/October from now