Milton of Campsie car park

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
PAB855

Milton of Campsie car park

Post by PAB855 »

Hoping to use the car to transport bikes to Milton of Campsie for accessing the Strathkelvin Railway cycle path.

Can anyone confirm there is a car park on the Birdson Road?

If so it would be ideal as there is a cafe close by and this road leads to the cycle path.

All we want to do is cycle to Strathblane and maybe to Kirkintilloch.

Starting from Kirkintilloch once before wasn't a pleasant experience as parking wasn't easy and cycling through the town was a nightmare. Open to suggestions though!

Cheers
simonhill

Re: Milton of Campsie car park

Post by simonhill »

If no one replies, try Google maps in satellite mode. You can zoom in for more detail. If you use Street view, you can usually read any signs that are near to the road.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Mil ... d-4.161484
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Thanks for that.

Cheers
irc

Post by irc »

Parking is easy at Kirky. Peter D Stirling Rd is close to start and has big laybg on left away from the houses so you aren't annoyjng locals bt parking in "their space".

Path starts to right of MacDonalds. 400 yds away.
andym979

Post by andym979 »

Not sure when you are planning this for, but the section of the path between Kirky and Lennoxtown is closed from 13th June to 22 July. https://www.eastdunbarton.gov.uk/news/f ... provements
Lennoxtown to Strathblane will be open, much more more parking in Lennoxtown too.
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Very helpful information thanks.

The reason I'm asking is that my wife rides a recumbent trike because of a balance problem and it's always better for us to do our research into routes unfamiliar to us so that we're not going to have to deal with the unexpected.

Your information is actually very good news, andym979 because we can plan ahead to look forward to a smooth ride once the resurfacing work has been completed.

Thanks again
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

I've just been watching the video of the whole length of the path and can see steps at the Milton of Campsie Station platform. It's very helpful.

This is the kind of thing I need to have advanced warning about. We're hoping in view of the resurfacing work to do a recce by car without the trike and bike so that this type of hazard can be assessed. Hopefully it will be possible to get a clear view of the steps from somewhere nearby, even if access is restricted until 22 July. A cafe visit or two could well be included :D

Are there any other route trike hazards such as narrow gates, tight turns etc that you know of?
andym979

Post by andym979 »

The steps at the station can easily be avoided. There is a vehicular track that veers off from the main path about 150m east of the station with a gradual incline up to the main Birdston Road, turn right to get to the village shops. The whole path is obstacle free and tarmacked, although the council are fixing that previously mentioned section due to tree roots lifting the tar.
You'll be able to get parked in Beechtree Terrace just south of the station, either on the road or further along there is a layby.
I grew up in the village so I know the area well.
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

That piece of information is going to make such a difference to us. It couldn't be better.

Many thanks andym979
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

As an aside, what a good example of a thread title attracting somebody with the info needed.

So much better than something like "Advice needed"