Maillard freewheel removal?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
willemjc

Maillard freewheel removal?

Post by willemjc »

Hello,
I'm working on a LeJeune road bike probably from the 1970s or 1980s. I'd like to remove the freewheel so that I can service the wheel bearings and also give the freewheel and wheel a good clean. Does anyone know what tool I would need to remove this freewheel? It seems to have two notches about 5mm deep and the diameter would be 38mm outer, but no splines. The smallest cog has "Maillard" stamped on it. I attach a photo.
Thank you.
Attachments
20220622_183208.jpg
531colin

Re: Maillard freewheel removal?

Post by 531colin »

Maillard 2 dog remover?
be sure to clamp the remover against the block good and tight with the axle nut!

Or....just run some oil into the freewheel
Back off the left cone far enough so you can get some fresh grease into the right bearing
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Now this is the sort of freewheel I have removed with a fat tyre lever (see earlier topic, in which I misidentifed a freewheel).
As has already been pointed out, the best way to remove this freewheel is to use the specific two-prong tool and to make sure it is firmly engaged with the two, fairly shallow slots. The correct tool is fairly readily obtained on ebay etc..
Lacking the right tool (pre-ebay) and having removed the axle, I clamped a fat tyre lever in a heavy vice, held the wheel over the tyre lever in such a way that it engaged with the slots, and then turned the wheel. And That was a Bingo!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
JohnMorgan

Post by JohnMorgan »

Hi, if you struggle to find ‘Maillard’ removal tool, Suntour two pin does the same job. Unless you want to knock it off with a punch, which may break the freewheel. Good luck!
531colin

Post by 531colin »

JohnMorgan wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 12:48pm ............... Unless you want to knock it off with a punch, which may break the freewheel. Good luck!
I don't think I would try that!
There is always the option of taking off at least some of the small sprockets and dis-assembling the freewheel.....the first bit is a left thread, and you need to do it over a biscuit tin to catch all the bits. Then you can simply grip the centre in a bench vise and unscrew the wheel out of it.
I see Sheldon Brown makes a song and dance over it https://sheldonbrown.com/rebuild-freewheel.html, but when I was a penniless schoolboy it was the only way we had to do it.
willemjc

Post by willemjc »

Thank you for your replies.

I wasn't able to find the right removal tool for sale on ebay / similar, this could be due to my search terms so if anyone has a link then please feel free to post it. And I'm not convinced that the Suntour 2-notch remover is the right size, I found a description which says that it is diameter 25mm whereas I need more like 38mm.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

willemjc wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 6:04pm Thank you for your replies.

I wasn't able to find the right removal tool for sale on ebay / similar, this could be due to my search terms so if anyone has a link then please feel free to post it. And I'm not convinced that the Suntour 2-notch remover is the right size, I found a description which says that it is diameter 25mm whereas I need more like 38mm.
SJS cycles stock a range of different 2 notch removers. I'd send them your photo along with accompanying measurements. They are pretty good with customer enquiries.

Whatever tool you end up using, make sure to keep it very secure with the tracknut/thick washer, backing it off in tiny amounts as you go. The tools/freewheel notches are very easy to mash if the freewheel is on tight. Ideally use a bench vise to get equal leverage on each side of the tool.

Or just service it in situ as has been mentioned.
Last edited by gregoryoftours on 23 Jun 2022, 7:16pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

gregoryoftours wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 7:09pmSJS cycles stock a range of different 2 notch removers. I'd send them your photo along with accompanying measurements. They are pretty good with customer enquiries.
Yes.

Jonathan
KM2

Post by KM2 »

Once you have obtained your remover and clamped it firmly to the block, place the remover in a vice an use the wheel as the lever. You can apply a better force and save a bent axle.
willemjc

Post by willemjc »

Thank you once again everyone for your replies.

I contacted SJS Cycles as suggested, but unfortunately they do not have a compatible freewheel removal tool.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I think this is what you need

VAR RL-41300 Freewheel Remover for Suntour Sachs Aris & Maillard 700

https://www.vartools.uk/2-notch-freewhe ... 2x36007080

I could easily be wrong because SJSC have the same thing advertised so if they say they cannot help, there may be something else from the land of rocking horse doodah

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/tools/var-r ... llard-700/

FWIW, I tend to think it's the right tool but you have either had crossed wires or their actual stock levels don't match their website.

My own experience of this general type of remover from long ago is poor, and it's that with a freewheel that's been well-used, either the dogs on the remover or the relevant bits of the freewheel tend to sheer off in use. That's probably why better systems were developed. (No criticism of VAR, a longstanding manufacturer of top notch tools)
slowster

Post by slowster »

Can you not just service the hub bearings with the freewheel left in place? Likewise removing the freewheel is not essential for cleaning.
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

Why not try one of these and file off two of the pegs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401480051360 ... SwhQhY4pph

Says it is 40mm OD which is pretty close, only a tenner so worth a punt maybe?
willemjc

Post by willemjc »

Thank you once again everyone for your replies.

In case anyone else has the same freewheel and wants to remove it, I'll post here a method that worked for me.

I found a 40mm x 40mm x 5mm (thick) square steel washer, and ground away a millimeter or two on one side near the corner so that it would slide into the freewheel and engage with the two notches. I then gripped the washer with a very large adjustable spanner and hit the end of the spanner with a rubber mallet while pushing the washer inwards to ensure it remained in good contact with the notches. After a couple of strikes it came free. Like most freewheels, it turned anti-clockwise to undo.

For this method to work I had to remove the axle from the wheel first, but that was straightforward, it slid out of the drive side once the non-drive side cone was removed.
drossall

Post by drossall »

Too late now for you, but for similar questions:

Park Tools freewheel (and cassette) removal tools - how to select the right one

VAR Tools freewheel removers

Or mention where you are (roughly) and someone here who is local to you will often be able to help out. I've got a range of different ones, for a start.

I'd be surprised if a two-prong remover wouldn't have dealt with that, except that one or two of the old ones could be a bit funny about fitting over some solid axles.