"Post office "text scam, 16th of June 22.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

"Post office "text scam, 16th of June 22.

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I've just received a text took me awhile to work out that I'm not waiting on a parcel is anyway, even though I get several parcels maybe every week.

I did click on the link but it didn't seem to go anywhere probably because of the security I've got on my phone.
I wouldn't have got anywhere near paying anything anyway.
The trouble is it's so common to be waiting for parcels and wanting them delivered and it's very easy to fall into the trap isn't it.

This is a new text scam "post office "not the old Royal mail one.
Martin Lewis says this is more complex a scam I'm more intelligent too
Attachments
278EE6BB-BC5F-449C-AF3A-8F07352CD7CB.png
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
steve6854

Re: "Post office "text scam, 16th of June 22.

Post by steve6854 »

I received the same text this week. Reported it as spam and deleted the message.

You only need a few people to bite to make it a worthwhile scam...
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

We've been getting these all year.
If we know we know nothing is on order then it's easy to spot them but if we're waiting for a delivery then doubt sets in.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

How come Post Office are delivering parcels. I thought it was Royal Mail that made deliveries! To me that would scream "something wrong here".

Ian
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

I always thought of multiple replies with assorted fake bank account numbers to waste scammers time. Do any computer buffs know if they can access my PC if I click on the link?
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

briansnail wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 4:55pm I always thought of multiple replies with assorted fake bank account numbers to waste scammers time. Do any computer buffs know if they can access my PC if I click on the link?
No, they can't access your PC.

But you'd be wasting your time - the site wants credit card details, rather than bank account numbers, and it's capable of filtering out invalid c/c numbers without the scammers needing to do any processing.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

briansnail wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 4:55pm I always thought of multiple replies with assorted fake bank account numbers to waste scammers time. Do any computer buffs know if they can access my PC if I click on the link?
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage
You need to consider how websites track your browsing behaviour across different sites (through cookies). Need to consider how persistent site logins are maintained and the security around how those logins are maintained after you leave and later return to the site.

A lot of your security depends on local settings and security software on your laptop.

Scammers are not always after getting you to give them your credit card or bank account but some can make a lot of use of other information you may be providing them access to.

Ianm
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 3:54pm How come Post Office are delivering parcels. I thought it was Royal Mail that made deliveries! To me that would scream "something wrong here".
Me too. But sensitivity to this is clearly variable.

Wrong organisation. Not a UK domain. And a widely reported scam and linked address.

Jonathan

PS: We need to resolve that uncertainty about the police site...
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

briansnail wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 4:55pm I always thought of multiple replies with assorted fake bank account numbers to waste scammers time.
I'd strongly recommend anyone who doesn't understand how these things work not to try and outwit them. The perpetrators are doing this for a living.

Ignore them or seek help. And please consider reporting them.

Jonathan
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Forward any dodgy texts to 7726.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I got a SCAM text (not From Post Office).

Mine was supposedly from one of my Credit Card companies saying "We've had a transaction for £378-67 to AirBnB referred.If you recognise this payment Y. If not call 0330 ..."

It was "wrong" for a number of reasons e.g. from a different number than such messages have come from in the past, that previous questioning of transactions require a "Yes" or "No" reply and do not require you call them for a "No". so check and I don't have the number they give as a contact for the card company.

Irritating is that you do have to call the company (using a number I've used in the past) to confirm that it isn't as apparently when they do this text to confirm/reject they place a block on all transactions until you've responded.

Ian
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Royal Mail will generally leave a card, stating that they tried to deliver and that you can collect parcel from
local sorting office (or they will try to deliver the following day).
millimole

Post by millimole »

De Sisti wrote:Royal Mail will generally leave a card, stating that they tried to deliver and that you can collect parcel from
And unless the postman is particularly friendly with my wife how does he know either of our mobile numbers?
Leicester; Riding my Hetchins since 1971; Day rides on my Dawes; Going to the shops on a Decathlon Hoprider
Psamathe

Re:

Post by Psamathe »

millimole wrote: 3 Jul 2022, 7:49am
De Sisti wrote:Royal Mail will generally leave a card, stating that they tried to deliver and that you can collect parcel from
And unless the postman is particularly friendly with my wife how does he know either of our mobile numbers?
A fair number of online shops now require your mobile number (some ask, some require) probably because some carriers text you with delivery time slots. The mobile number input will normally be irrespective as to the carrier method selected (e.g. next day through e.g. DPD (who text) vs 3-5 days using e.g. Royal Mail (who also text, several times for some services).

Ian