Do you ever consider the worse that can happen?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
Cowsham

Re: Do you ever consider the worse that can happen?

Post by Cowsham »

A friend of mine who had a very bad motorcycle accident managed to tell the paramedic that he was not to be given adrenaline or some form of medication that would have killed him just before he lost consciousness so he wears a bracelet now.
I am here. Where are you?
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Death and Benidorm. We are bound to visit both, by and by. The two inevitable consequences of being alive :lol:
Bsteel

Post by Bsteel »

To close out my question up-thread. For now, I've gone with a generic emergency pendant which takes a roll of paper. On the paper I printed details and a QR code linking to a document stored on Google Drive.
But that's a nice selection of products from OneLife.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Dingdong wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 7:01am Death and Benidorm. We are bound to visit both, by and by. The two inevitable consequences of being alive :lol:
I don't know for sure about the Benidorm bit,I have resisted that particular temptation even in my younger drinking all night days but you can be sure of this.
The only guarantee in life is that you are going to die.It's just a case of when your number comes up.No point in worrying about it as you won't know when it happens anyway :D
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

PedallingSquares wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 9:26am
Dingdong wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 7:01am Death and Benidorm. We are bound to visit both, by and by. The two inevitable consequences of being alive :lol:
I don't know for sure about the Benidorm bit,I have resisted that particular temptation even in my younger drinking all night days but you can be sure of this.
The only guarantee in life is that you are going to die.It's just a case of when your number comes up.No point in worrying about it as you won't know when it happens anyway :D
Fatalism - a queer state of mind and one often a cover for excusing oneself from inaction, refusing to make a difficult choice and, in general, an unwillingness to recognise that "what will be is not necessarily what must be". I suppose you might be one who believes in a clockwork universe of predetermined events, mind? If so, a read of chaos theory might be enlightening.

In your post you also demonstrate a cognitive dissonance often found in the part-time fatalist. If you truly were a believer in "its just a case of when your number comes up" how come you can claim that, "I have resisted a particular temptation...."? Shurely shome mishtake as a proper fatalist would never resist anything? :-)

Mind, I have some sympathy with your attitude, since I've spent my life drifting into things rather than making choices and plans whilst pretending to have thought ever so hard about them; and in a rational manner. On the other hand, I definitely avoid tempting fate.

Cugel, probably leaving a wide swathe of unintended consequences to my intended acts, anyway.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
puffin

Post by puffin »

With regards to what is going on behind you as you ride....I've got a mirror on my crossbar which gives me a good enough view of what is coming up.
Audax67

Re: Do you ever consider the WORST that can happen?

Post by Audax67 »

Of course.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
JohnMorgan

Post by JohnMorgan »

Yes. Considered it, and dismissed it. If I let ‘what could happen’ dictate what I do, I’d not do anything. Which would be a mistake, as most people die in bed :-)
Duradulo

Post by Duradulo »

I was hit from behind in February on the A40 very near the location of the fatality linked in the OP. In my case I got away fairly lightly with concussion and torn ligaments - bed for a week, crutches for two more, and still suffering some weakness and aches – but it could easily have been very different.

I try to not to think about it, as there’s nothing I could have done about it. I had time to think “Cor, that’s a bit clo-“ before being on the side of the car. Clear day, wide straight road, I had a rear light on and was wearing bright clothing. One imagines there would be time to swerve into the verge, but not in my experience.
Last edited by Duradulo on 27 Jun 2022, 10:30am, edited 1 time in total.
deeferdonk

Post by deeferdonk »

Was reading this thread with interest. Something in my brain has clicked recently. I regularly ride a route into town which has a couple of miles of busy single lane road with national speed limit where its not uncommon to get a close pass or a honk/verbal abuse. I've always just sucked it up a its the quickest route, and ridden the route at least a couple of times a week for years. But just the last couple of weeks i've started to be scared by it and am riding alternate routes that add miles/hills to the journey to avoid. Routes are more pleasant but these are utility rides where I'd want to prioritise efficiency and minimum effort. Not sure what's got to me.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

JohnMorgan wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 6:01am Yes. Considered it, and dismissed it. If I let ‘what could happen’ dictate what I do, I’d not do anything. Which would be a mistake, as most people die in bed :-)
Id take keeling over on the bike somewhere pretty to pegging out in a hospital bed any day of the week .
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

deeferdonk wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 3:17pm Was reading this thread with interest. Something in my brain has clicked recently. I regularly ride a route into town which has a couple of miles of busy single lane road with national speed limit where its not uncommon to get a close pass or a honk/verbal abuse. I've always just sucked it up a its the quickest route, and ridden the route at least a couple of times a week for years. But just the last couple of weeks i've started to be scared by it and am riding alternate routes that add miles/hills to the journey to avoid. Routes are more pleasant but these are utility rides where I'd want to prioritise efficiency and minimum effort. Not sure what's got to me.
My commute to work has a fast shorter road or a longer scenic road -- I take the longer road now leaving a bit earlier in the morning. It's part path so I take the mountain bike which makes it even slower but I enjoy it more.

There's stress involved when on the fast road hoping the drivers in the cars approaching from behind are not on their mobiles or have fallen asleep. There's much less stress on the mountain bike route and I value that more than the speed.

I had already decided that even before my bad off ( my fault entirely ) but the bad off left me in no doubt which I'd prefer. In incredible pain in a ward with 9 other smelly old chaps in pain or on a more scenic relaxing road to work.
I am here. Where are you?