machine vice v bench vice

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jamesh

Re: machine vice v bench vice

Post by Jamesh »

Jdsk wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 2:04pm I'd be interested in recommendations for a vice that would clamp to a Workmate, 150 mm or thereabouts.

Thanks

Jonathan
150mm a big vice btw.

100mm would be better

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311681162473 ... media=COPY

This silver line is typical of new vices.

Irwin record will be simalar.

If you want a good vice look at an old Record, Woden or Parkinson off eBay. A 150mm will be £50 plus.
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I have a bench vice bolted to the bench, and another on the bench in the garage, but I have horizontal and vertical drill stands on bases that clamp into either the vice or the Workmate so that they're not cluttering up the bench when they're not in use. My wheel truing stand isn't standalone either, it clamps in the Workmate when I'm using it.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jamesh wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 7:25pm
Jdsk wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 2:04pm I'd be interested in recommendations for a vice that would clamp to a Workmate, 150 mm or thereabouts.
150mm a big vice btw.

100mm would be better

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311681162473 ... media=COPY

This silver line is typical of new vices.

Irwin record will be simalar.

If you want a good vice look at an old Record, Woden or Parkinson off eBay. A 150mm will be £50 plus.
Thanks

Jonathan
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

I have one of those cheaper smaller vices.

It’s bolted to a scaffold board, as can’t have a work bench. when I need to ‘bolt’ it down to get a freewheel off, I just put it on the ground. Stand on he scaffold board either side of the vice/wheel and turn it. It’s been that way for about 6 years and generally just gets thrown behind the holly bush when not in use.

The vice is outlasting the wood it’s bolted too.
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

simonineaston wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 6:29pm I recently bought a WorkMate, partly 'cos of my move to a flat. I'm on the look-out for some suitable hardwood to make a pair of replacement jaws for the new WM's - which appear to be made out of pressed and painted Weetabix...
You'd be better off with some good quality plywood. 19mm thick will match the thickness of Workmate jaws, generally; but 25mm thick can be tougher.

Hardwood jaws may work but why waste good hardwood on this sort of application when it might make a nice tea tray? Plywood is also less likely to warp, splinter, crack or otherwise degrade when you abuse it with tool slips, jabs and thunks.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
nirakaro

Post by nirakaro »

Cugel wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 9:59pm Hardwood jaws may work but why waste good hardwood on this sort of application when it might make a nice tea tray?
I've just made a replacement pair of hardwood jaws for a pal's workmate. The ideal timber is steamed beech, which is stable, much harder/stronger than most ply, durable (though not outdoors), relatively cheap, and not nearly pretty enough for tea trays.
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

You can just buy replacement jaws, even for quite old models.