Photos of your cargo bike

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
cycle tramp

Photos of your cargo bike

Post by cycle tramp »

A handy place to put photos of your cargo bike(s) to both inspire and educate (yes. Yes I do have cargo bike envy)
hemo

Re: Photos of your cargo bike

Post by hemo »

I have a Kona Ute, waiting for a TSDZ2 go on.
ute.jpg
If I need extra load then I can hitch the CF up.
cf 3.JPG
My Cotic build, though not a true cargo bike the combo works well.
IMG_20220413_120624 cf1.jpg
IMG_20220414_123310 cf6.jpg
seajays

Post by seajays »

Well I'll just copy my other one to here... :D

Last edited by seajays on 6 May 2022, 7:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017 ••• Revolution Courier Race Disc '14 ••• Ultimate Curve Cargo Bike '22
My Strava
Carlton green

Post by Carlton green »

cycle tramp wrote: 2 May 2022, 8:44pm A handy place to put photos of your cargo bike(s) to both inspire and educate (yes. Yes I do have cargo bike envy)
I too suffer from cargo bike envy and feel sure that life could be better if I had one. I have a capable trailer and it’s a cost effective option that can be pressed into service, but for moving moderately large stuff around quickly by bike it’s hard to see how a two wheel cargo bike can be beaten.
Cargo bikes can even be raced:
http://www.copenhagenize.com/2017/10/ar ... -race.html
It’s also quite surprising how much can be shifted by one and how far one can be taken:
https://bikepacking.com/plog/resolution-race/

For all of us wondering about cargo bikes and how to shift stuff by bike it would be really good to see what other forum members have, please do post your cargo pictures - it don’t matter what it is, just let’s be seeing it please :D .
Don’t fret, it’s OK to: ride a simple old bike; ride slowly, walk, rest and admire the view; ride off-road; ride in your raincoat; ride by yourself; ride in the dark; and ride one hundred yards or one hundred miles. Your bike and your choices to suit you.
hemo

Post by hemo »

No pics but my latest use was to collect 300l of manure/compost from the local GC, the load was well over the rated loading for the CF but it managed the 5 mile round trip. At home I weighed the two differing 50l bags, one was 24kg and the other 17.5kg. In all some 120kg + loading, next time I shall have to be a bit more careful with my loading and weight to tow.

In the third pic above the load was at or near the 90kg load capacity, with towing heavy weights one for sure can feel the push/pull nature of the heavy loads. With a longtail type bike or platform type cargo bike one the effect would be so.
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

I would love to replace my car for trips to the dump. Regularly carrying 500kg of rubbish from a recent rebuild
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

That's the Mayor of Copenhagen with the Grand Départ trophy of the Tour de France.

Jonathan
CathM

Post by CathM »

First of all, this is not “my” cargo bike, but I thought members might be interested in a project which is taking place for a month in Kendal:

https://slacc.org.uk/projects/woolly-sa ... ke-project

The aim is to use the e-cargo bike to collect supermarket donations for “Waste into Wellbeing”, a local social project, which would otherwise be picked up by car, and also to raise awareness among local businesses and organisations of the possibilities of cargo bikes as an alternative to motor vehicles for short deliveries.

The e-bike is on loan for the month from Raleigh, and I’m one of 12 volunteers who have been through a Bikeability 3 course on it (run by Phil Wade of Breaking Cycles CIC who was excellent); not having done a cycling proficiency course as a child it’s nice to have proof that I can ride a bike!

The bike takes a bit of getting used to, and as it’s the only cargo bike I’ve ridden I’ve nothing to compare it to, but once it gets going it’s huge fun to ride and it certainly turns heads in the town. I know that these bikes are commonplace in some cities abroad, and are becoming more familiar in UK cities, but it’s still something of a novelty in Kendal. I recently took it on a one-way delivery trip to an organisation which is trying it out it for a few days, and my Brompton fitted neatly into the cargo box, with plenty of room to spare, for the return trip. Very satisfying! I don’t need a bike like this as I use a trailer for load-carrying but I can see how useful it could be to many people.

Cath.
Attachments
Cargo bike.JPG
Sainsbury's collection 10-9-22 2 resized.JPG
Bronwen hitches a ride.JPG
hemo

Post by hemo »

Another of my Ute with the trailer loaded.
DSCF1429.JPG
Gazelles

Post by Gazelles »

Here our cargo bike with a bit of fire wood, chain saw and some drain pipes. It can carry loads of up to 100kg as long as the terrain is flat.
Attachments
Cargo bike fire wood.jpg
cycle tramp

Post by cycle tramp »

Gazelles wrote: 9 Dec 2022, 9:47pm Here our cargo bike with a bit of fire wood, chain saw and some drain pipes. It can carry loads of up to 100kg as long as the terrain is flat.
Nice....
There are loads of things I like about your bike...
..the step thru frame has been always underrated, but makes getting on a loaded- load carrying bike really easy
...the 20 inch bmx wheel, makes a super strong wheel, and due to the height of the axle means you can make the load carrying platform lower to the ground as well
....unlike Surly's big dummy, there's no bike framework to get in the way of carrying high volume loads
..a best of all, you've used a galvanised bucket from a wheel barrow..
..what are thing of beauty.... thank you so much for sharing it
rjb

Post by rjb »

Gazelles wrote: 9 Dec 2022, 9:47pm Here our cargo bike with a bit of fire wood, chain saw and some drain pipes. It can carry loads of up to 100kg as long as the terrain is flat.
Nice and it's built up around a pub bike. Lots of ideas there to keep us shedgineering as a winter project. :D
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Gazelles

Post by Gazelles »

Actually this is not the result of my own design and work but I bought it from a legendary recycling artist/engineer, Christian Kuhtz. He is somewhat known in Germany for the DIY manuals for wind turbines, solar power, bicycle repair and oven building. I only improved the bike in some areas, better ergonomic layout, better lights, more free room for the heels.

The bike uses a Sachs 3-speed hub which has proven to be a good choice: It is narrow so the risk of bending the axle is reduced and the cable pull doesn't have to be too precise. The bike weighs ca. 27kg. The wheelbarrow bucket is also useful to transport one adult, under legs over the edge towards the back.
For someone who would like to build something like this ist is important lo look at the structure: Is is build from tube triangles in 3 planes, making it very stiff for the weight. The tubes are flattened at the ends and screwed togehter with M5 or M6 screws, Chistians favourite building method. The bike has been driven for about 1000km in a bit more than a year, transporting several tons of stuff. An improvement would be better brakes to be able to make use of the mass when going downhill without too much risk to regret it! :roll:
Dingdong

Post by Dingdong »

Very nice!