TV licensing...

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: TV licensing...

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Well has anybody seen the new BBC News studio :?

It's all too little too late, I don't think anybody is impressed with the size of the set and the presenters dancing all over the floor pointing at very large screens :roll:

So this is the BBC saving money is it trying to keep up or trying to get ahead of the competition Is it, for the day when they switch over to real competition?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... tudio.html
b
b
a
a
c
c
It's already a chat show anyway.
Why don't we keep the BBC news as BBC News?
You can have a website for all the rest of the guff!
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment ... ar-AAYq8Re
"BBC viewers have complained in the past about changes to the weather - for example, the decision to introduce a tilted map, which made Scotland appear smaller, led to an outcry. The map became flat again in 2018 and Taylor said there were no plans to change it."

Well Scotland is smaller isn't it?
That made me laugh :)
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I have friends who work as sas - that's an extra to you and me. They act like canaries. That's not to say they dress up in a suit of yellow feathers and go down coal mines, but rather, they issue alerts to do with forthcoming programme quality.
One worked with Chris Walken (I know!!) on The Outlaws and recommended it, so we all crowded round her place recently, for couple of episodes. Apart from the obvious delight in spotting Bristol locations (of which there are great many), we found ourselves laughing out loud at Steven Merchant's script. Anyone else enjoying this series?
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The Outlaws is our highlight of the week. Merchant has always been a comedy genius.

Having lived in a mining area for 5 years I recognise the background and undercurrents of Sherwood. In the 1970s they were still moaning about Winston Churchill.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

On the matter of local news, on the Leeds version of Look North we have roving reporter, Ian White. Memorably, a few years ago they had him on a bridge over the M62 near Saddleworth Moor ready to report a forecast blizzard with frequent but fruitless - snowless - visits throughout the programme. Last night, on the hottest day of the year, he'd been sent to Temple Newsam (a stately home now owned by the council) to report on the heatwave and he was complaining about the cold, in a deserted field.
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Tour De France starts soon! I wonder if Mick F's smart TV is back up and running so he can tune in?
Or maybe he'll go down the Nags head and tell them about his days on the road with his little chopper?? :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

:lol: :lol:

Frankly, Phil, I don't give a hoot regarding sport of any sort. No, the TVL is still defunct. Mrs Mick F watches Netflix, but the TV side of it, is pointless.
Mick F. Cornwall
peetee

Post by peetee »

Plop on the doormat. Here we go again….but what’s this?
4AB75059-3833-4D5D-9A0C-CB5B22D76115.jpeg
By what law? They are not law enforcers. They are a company selling a product. Do they have any right in law to start a ‘lawful investigation’ with no evidence?
I would agree if they happen upon unlawful activity they have a duty to report it but what law allows them to probe and threaten and harass on the off-chance that unlawful behaviour might be observed?
And on another related point, does anyone else think any police involvement with enforcement is unwarranted given their stretched resources?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

By coincidence, I was reminded of BBC local reporting last night. "I'm 'Ian White'" is now at ITV but on our BBC regional news last night, they had an item about "Smart" Motorways, prompted by a problem earlier in the day when the signs were malfunctioning. The entire piece was introduced by a reporter being filmed on a bridge over the M1 but the value added by their being outside was nil.
peetee

Post by peetee »

thirdcrank wrote: 23 Feb 2023, 11:37am By coincidence, I was reminded of BBC local reporting last night. "I'm 'Ian White'" is now at ITV but on our BBC regional news last night, they had an item about "Smart" Motorways, prompted by a problem earlier in the day when the signs were malfunctioning. The entire piece was introduced by a reporter being filmed on a bridge over the M1 but the value added by their being outside was nil.
Indeed. Such is the case with high-profile public crime where TV crews stake-out suspects properties for a few minutes of air-time. It adds nothing except stress and intrusion for their neighbours and must help cement the notion amongst locals that they are indeed guilty and from a ‘bad lot’.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Plop on the doormat. Here we go again….but what’s this?
The company use deliberately ambiguous wording in much of their engagement with households. I have some sympathy, given the levels of licence avoidance that goes on, across the land. However, I've always considered the issue is very straightforward - if you watch, you pay. If you don't watch, you don't have to pay. If the company chooses to continue to write to addresses that crop up on their database, that's their choice. They have a job to do. The recipient, presumably, has either bought a licence or doesn't watch. If they've chosen not to watch and not to let the company know, their address will remain on the database.
With respect to your second point about the use of police resources, it may be helpful to recall that the police (as far as I know) only ever attend, when the non payment of fines has resulted in a decision by a court that the named individual is in default of payment ie where a warrant has been issued. This situtation of continued non payment of fines applied by a court is regarded by the authorities as a relatively serious offence - quite rightly, in my view.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
peetee

Post by peetee »

simonineaston wrote: 23 Feb 2023, 12:34pm The recipient, presumably, has either bought a licence or doesn't watch. If they've chosen not to watch and not to let the company know, their address will remain on the database.
In my case, as stated in a previous post, after a year the company chose to assume I had moved on so they could pursue the address again.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
So on principle I have scrapped the TVL :)
TVL has never had my name on it.

Reason I scrapped the TVL (was asked for a reason online at TVL site)...................License holder has passed on.
Interestingly is that the new license started the day after her death.
And I decided to scrap it some five months later.
You are allowed to continue using license even if the licensee has passed on.

But I was asked date of death....................I replied information not in the public domain!
Next thing I have been refunded full license to date for the whole five months.

I was thinking that they will go after me................but no I imagine they do not after wish to seek that because of the death of licensee, and my name has never been on a TVL.
Bad publicity would probably follow.

Most firms once the death of a member they go on this, otherwise they are seeking reimbursement from a dead person or their kin.

I am not sure and I do not trust that TVL did not attempt to seek date of death of my partner, somehow ( not sure they would like negative publicity again) but I would'nt put it past them.

Glad to be rid of that Draconian Immoral Certificate!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

We bought a smart TV ............ read about it up-thread.

Mrs Mick F bought a TVL and when it came up for renewal, she didn't renew. We (she) has started getting threatening letters.
I still haven't watched any live TV or iPlayer, or any "catch-up" either. Not interested in the slightest.

DVD's and Youtube are about it for me. We have a Netflix account, but I can't remember the last time I watched anything on it. Mrs Mick F usually comes to bed after midnight, and she watches Netflix stuff.

She is completely and deliberately ignoring the TVL people, and the threatening letters are chucked on the fire. That's all they are worth ......................... hot water! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote: 24 Feb 2023, 9:21am We bought a smart TV ............ read about it up-thread.

Mrs Mick F bought a TVL and when it came up for renewal, she didn't renew. We (she) has started getting threatening letters.
I still haven't watched any live TV or iPlayer, or any "catch-up" either. Not interested in the slightest.

DVD's and Youtube are about it for me. We have a Netflix account, but I can't remember the last time I watched anything on it. Mrs Mick F usually comes to bed after midnight, and she watches Netflix stuff.

She is completely and deliberately ignoring the TVL people, and the threatening letters are chucked on the fire. That's all they are worth ......................... hot water! :D
I'd mark that down as progress. IIRC, at one point you were compiling a substantial dossier.

BTW, How did you get on with your letter demanding that they reissue the TVL in the name of the applicant (Mrs MickF)