Wheel building

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Barrowman

Re: Wheel building

Post by Barrowman »

I build my Trike wheels on the trike. I have zip tied a Vernier Gauge to a carbon tent pole which I zip tie across the Seat Stays . Once I have laced them I fit to the trike and use the Vernier to get them straight , and to get any 'up and down' out. Worth marking the hub in relation to the axle so if you do take it off it goes back in the same place . ( Trike Hubs, particularly Chrome ones, can distort a bit over time .. I am assuming they aren't new )
Have the rear of the trike slightly elevated.. I use an old school turbo trainer that supports the bottom bracket shell and you take the front wheel out and clamp it in .
I realise I am summarising some of the past advice here . Yes a trike back wheel is like a front in that the spokes are same length both sides .

I have in the past used a hub axle with one cone on the round end of the hub and a lock Nut against the hexagon end , in a wheelbuilding jig , letting the axle rotate in the Jig but didn't find that very satisfactory .
531colin

Post by 531colin »

alexnharvey wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 4:32pm
531colin wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 9:45am Yup, they are different.
Still nobody volunteering to check your calculations.
I know I'm replying to Colin rather than the OP, but i trust the online calculators and slightly distrust their databases of rim and hub measurements. Do you have a caliper that will allow you to check that the hub measurements are the same as your hub? Even if you do not, a quick sense check with a ruler can confirm your hub is the same as listed. Similarly, are you able to use the two spokes method to check the erd?
There is enough variation between rim diameters to make it worthwhile measuring the actual rim you bought, rather than relying on somebody else's measurement.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

mattsccm wrote: 30 May 2022, 6:51am Sheldon Brown has fool proof instructions.
Yes. The coloured spokes section is delightful to follow!
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

mattsccm wrote: 30 May 2022, 6:51am Sheldon Brown has fool proof instructions.
Agree. All you need to start with.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
JohnMorgan

Post by JohnMorgan »

bikes4two wrote: 30 May 2022, 5:09am
  • I used to get my spokes from Rose Bikes at a favourable price, but Brexit has bu**ered that up - where else can I get spokes at a fair price these days - anyone?
I got my last lot from t’ebay - not a full wheel worth, but the price was comparable to what I paid pre Brexit.