Pedals flat recommendation please

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rotavator

Pedals flat recommendation please

Post by rotavator »

I have been looking around for some new flat pedals for winter use without much success. Ideally they would have:
1. Good grip even when wet but not with the shin-grating pins or grub screws found on most serious MTB pedals
2. Spanner flats not just an Allen key fitting
3. Flange/full shoulder next to the (9/16") threads so that washers are not essential
4. Protected reflectors on both ends, not the ones that are exposed and easily damaged
5. Decent bearings so that they spin freely rather than reluctantly and graunchily (Yes, SYSTEM EX / VP Components DP950 I am thinking of you!)
6. No creaking or clicking when I give them some beans. Shimano's PD-EF102 are poor in this respect but otherwise more or less what I am looking for.
7. Weight <450g per pair but not too flimsy
8. Available to buy now
Paulatic

Re: Pedals flat recommendation please

Post by Paulatic »

rotavator wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 11:59am
1. Good grip even when wet but not with the shin-grating pins or grub screws found on most serious MTB pedals
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again what shin grating pins? I’ve DMR V8 on 4 bikes and can report my shins are fully intact and after over 4 years haven’t even experienced a scratch.
Oh and the soles of my shoes are also still in good order before that old chestnut is rolled out.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
PH

Post by PH »

Paulatic wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 12:34pm Oh and the soles of my shoes are also still in good order before that old chestnut is rolled out.
Old chestnut? What do you think the pins are for if not to dig into the sole? All the cycle specific shoes designed specifically to go with them have a soft rubber to best enable this. They do get wrecked, they're intended to. Good for you if you have such a light pedalling style that the soles sit on top of the pins, but if that's the case why choose pinned pedals?

I have no recommendations for the OP, I use pinned pedals, have caught myself a couple of times, but not seriously. I haven't found any other flat pedal that I'm confident riding with in all weathers, though some people seem to be able to ride just about anything. Not all pinned pedals are the same of course, both the number and height of the pins varies. It's disappointing that so few of the options meet your other wish of secure reflectors, my favorites don't though the cheap Wellgo ones that I have on a couple of bikes do.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Probably not the anwser one is looking for, all my bikes I use spd pedals with the shimano pd22 platform fitted to one side, can't say I have had much issue with the flat pedal.with twin amber reflectors. Except for having to toe the pd22 to be right side up, this I put up with as second nature for narrower pedal.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

What’s your price range?

Why do you not want the pins?

MKS Touring might fit your bill. No grub screws just a couple of serrated edges.

I’ve recently been using Superstar Compents El Plastic. They are great, solid , responsive, grippy, serviceable, and spinny. But they have all ended up on family bikes.

They don’t sell them anymore, so brought some DMR V6, as an alternative but they don’t seem to spin very well, thought they might wear in but don’t seem to. Can’t see a way to get grease in there easily either.

Current plan is to buy some Shimano ones put them on the family bike and them and get my plastic ones back…

Will never ride without grub screws again, even though they trash my trainers…
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

PH wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 12:55pm
Paulatic wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 12:34pm Oh and the soles of my shoes are also still in good order before that old chestnut is rolled out.
Old chestnut? What do you think the pins are for if not to dig into the sole? All the cycle specific shoes designed specifically to go with them have a soft rubber to best enable this. They do get wrecked, they're intended to. Good for you if you have such a light pedalling style that the soles sit on top of the pins, but if that's the case why choose pinned pedals?
They certainly are designed to stick into a sole that’s why I use them. Your experience with cycling specific shoes reinforces my decision to continue using an off road running shoe showing only wear from walking and none from pins. Be interesting to see what happens after all the tread as worn away I imagine pin damage might be witnessed then. That’s a couple of years off before I can report on that.
If my pedalling was so light how on earth could around 6x1 mm surface area hold a shoe? Especially with 13 1/2 st sitting on top of them.

E2E info
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

Paulatic wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 12:34pm
rotavator wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 11:59am
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again what shin grating pins? I’ve DMR V8 on 4 bikes and can report my shins are fully intact and after over 4 years haven’t even experienced a scratch.
Oh and the soles of my shoes are also still in good order before that old chestnut is rolled out.
I have some DMR v8s (or possibly rip-off versions) with grub screws and they have grated my shins and calves, that is a fact, and is one reason that I am looking for different ones. Oh and there is no need to get wound up about pedal choice.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

rotavator wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 2:43pm]
I have some DMR v8s (or possibly rip-off versions) with grub screws and they have grated my shins and calves, that is a fact, and is one reason that I am looking for different ones. Oh and there is no need to get wound up about pedal choice.
After grating your shins and calves what is it you do to keep repeating it?

E2E info
colin54

Post by colin54 »

I've been very satisfied with these MKS RMX Sneaker pedals, they have various subtly shaped bumps cast into the pedal body. The set on my most used bike are just developing a touch of play after a few thousand miles. They are adjustable loose ball bearings I believe, I think they are possibly adjusted a shade tight from the factory as they spin noticeably faster than at first. I've now got 4 pairs on different bikes, after buying a couple of pairs to try initially,
They seem grippy enough to me (muddy single track towpath's the worst I ride on with them), have built in recessed reflectors and a proper shoulder on the spanner flats.
https://www.mkspedal.com/?q=en/product/node/86
Approx £28 pr, plus a fiver postage from Southern Distributors, silver or black; both in stock.
They were the only UK stockists that I could find easily

https://southerndistributors.co.uk/prod ... mx-pedals/
P1170079 (2).JPG
edit; altered to read spanner flats, not pedal flats.
Last edited by colin54 on 29 Jun 2022, 10:36am, edited 1 time in total.
Nu-Fogey
rotavator

Post by rotavator »

colin54 wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 2:56pm I've been very satisfied with these MKS RMX Sneaker pedals, they have various subtly shaped bumps cast into the pedal body. The set on my most used bike are just developing a touch of play after a few thousand miles. They are adjustable loose ball bearings I believe, I think they are possibly adjusted a shade tight from the factory as they spin noticeably faster than at first. I've now got 4 pairs on different bikes, after buying a couple of pairs to try initially,
They seem grippy enough to me (muddy single track towpath's the worst I ride on with them), have built in recessed reflectors and a proper shoulder on the pedal flats.
https://www.mkspedal.com/?q=en/product/node/86
Approx £28 pr, plus a fiver postage from Southern Distributors, silver or black; both in stock.
They were the only UK stockists that I could find easily

https://southerndistributors.co.uk/prod ... mx-pedals/
P1170079 (2).JPG
Thanks, Colin, they look good and I may well order some. I did search through MKS's website but didn't spot them.
freiston

Post by freiston »

For many years I used traditional metal rat-trap/quill pedals or SPD pedals that had a none SPD side with "normal" shoes (anything from Oxfords to steel toe capped work boots to trainers) and very much noticed the pedals chewing up or wearing out my soles. In the days of toe clips and straps, I used to get wear from the straps and buckles too (but not so much on my Rivat cycling shoes which had suitable reinforcement panels - the soles were designed with a "tread" that grabbed the lip on the rear edge of the pedal without cleats, wearing a bit of a functional groove but nowhere near the damage suffered by my other footwear).

As to pedal recommendations, I have none but given my experience with the Rivat shoes (particularly as used with Lyotard platform pedals & toeclips), maybe there's a pedal type that works particularly well with some soles, especially if there are grooves across the foot in the tread.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
scottg

Post by scottg »

Paulatic wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 12:34pm[snip]
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again what shin grating pins? I’ve DMR V8 on 4 bikes and can report my shins are fully intact and after over 4 years haven’t even experienced a scratch. [snip]
These are pukka shin graters.......
SimWorks/MKS Bubbly pedals.

grater.jpg
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

scottg wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 7:09pm
Paulatic wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 12:34pm[snip]
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again what shin grating pins? I’ve DMR V8 on 4 bikes and can report my shins are fully intact and after over 4 years haven’t even experienced a scratch. [snip]
These are pukka shin graters.......
SimWorks/MKS Bubbly pedals.

grater.jpg
They make my feet real sore too.

E2E info
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Catalyst pedals are very good. Longer than usual. I have them on my tourer but they're expensive.
https://pedalinginnovations.com
deeferdonk

Post by deeferdonk »

I like MKS Lambda pedals, for big grippy platform with reflectors.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pedals-clea ... rm-pedals/