Shingles - How Long?

jayjay

Re: Shingles - How Long?

Post by jayjay »

My shingles (ah - that isn't an insect bite, is it?) attacked forehead, scalp and down to eyelid, on Acyclovir after 2 days, and Gabapentin for a week or so as the Ibuprofen wasn't quite enough for any decent sleep.
That second week even as the lesions cleared had a few short and intense burning pain episodes, and the eye set off an iritis attack :(
I was able to carry on normal activities, though some problems with bright lights & low sun for a few weeks. Dropped the pain tablets completely after about 4 weeks, and 7 months later still have numb skin in the affected area, and a scalp on one side which itches unpredictably plus doesn't like my hair being ruffled in the wind. The latter I tolerate for the cycling! Seems to be improving VERY slowly.
The virus really chewed up the nerves.
No fatigue except from lost sleep, and was digging a deep trench across our garden for a cable whilst in the worst throes.
Built f' comfort.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

ThePinkOne wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 7:04pm

I wonder if you can still get Calamine Lotion? That was what the chickenpox sores were liberally dabbed with when I was a bairn. I suppose that now chickenpox is no longer a common childhood illness, Calamine lotion is not so easily available.

TPO
Calamine lotion was certainly available in Jan 2021 when I had shingles, and very soothing it was too :|
CarnivoreAI

Post by CarnivoreAI »

Eeek! I've had it mildly on and off for 2 years now :?
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

After three days of a splitting headache which paracetamol couldn’t touch I got to see a nurse practitioner on Friday. Diagnosed a trapped nerve and prescribed me amitriptyline and Co codamol. Co codamol doesn’t work maybe I should of got brave and plumped for full strength Saturday morning I come out in a rash on rhs eye and forehead which I and Google reckon is Shingles. The pain of all this is on the top of any scale putting a jumper on or off over the head is great spectator sport. :D
Looking up the NHS site I discovered the vaccine as mentioned earlier in this thread. AIUI I should have been offered it on reaching 70. It said 'offered opportunistically' . My question is, Does this mean if I’d visited the surgery about any other health matter I’d have been asked "would you like the Shingles vaccine?"
If I’m right there’s real disadvantages to being healthy :lol:
When you reach 70 get in there and get the vaccine I wish I had. Five days of hellish pain and an unknown time scale ahead.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Paulatic wrote: 6 Nov 2022, 9:07pm ...
Looking up the NHS site I discovered the vaccine as mentioned earlier in this thread. AIUI I should have been offered it on reaching 70. It said 'offered opportunistically' . My question is, Does this mean if I’d visited the surgery about any other health matter I’d have been asked "would you like the Shingles vaccine?"
Which country?

Thanks

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jdsk wrote: 6 Nov 2022, 9:13pm
Which country?

Thanks

Jonathan
Scotland :D

E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Paulatic wrote: 6 Nov 2022, 9:39pm
Which country?
Scotland
"When will I be immunised?"
"You'll be contacted by your local health board when you're eligible to be immunised. You can get the vaccine at any time of the year."

https://www.nhsinform.scot/healthy-livi ... es-vaccine

In addition to that I hope that it would have been checked if you'd attended for or communicated about something else, as you suggest.

And of course that it would have been offered if you had asked explicitly and were eligible.

Jonathan

PS: The procedure seems to be different in the different countries of the UK. That link above is to the specific advice for Scotland.

PPS: I hope you're better soon.

PPPS: I'd tell the nurse practitioner about how it's progressed.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Jdsk wrote: 6 Nov 2022, 9:47pm
Paulatic wrote: 6 Nov 2022, 9:39pm
Which country?
Scotland
"When will I be immunised?"
"You'll be contacted by your local health board when you're eligible to be immunised. You can get the vaccine at any time of the year."

https://www.nhsinform.scot/healthy-livi ... es-vaccine

In addition to that I hope that it would have been checked if you'd attended for or communicated about something else, as you suggest.

And of course that it would have been offered if you had asked explicitly and were eligible.

Jonathan

PS: The procedure seems to be different in the different countries of the UK. That link above is to the specific advice for Scotland.

PPS: I hope you're better soon.

PPPS: I'd tell the nurse practitioner about how it's progressed.
Thanks, I did wonder if I should get in touch tomorrow.
The only contact I’ve had with the HB was for Covid and flu vaccine. I’d guess adding Shingles in the third arm might have been too much.
Anyone reading this about to be eligible get in there and ask for it. Knowing what I know now I’d have been in on my 70th birthday. :lol:
I’ve never been Ill before always turned out for work my entire working life but these last five days the pain has floored me.

E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Paulatic wrote: 6 Nov 2022, 10:00pm...
The only contact I’ve had with the HB was for Covid and flu vaccine. I’d guess adding Shingles in the third arm might have been too much.
It's always worth looking this up as the advice is liable to change.

In England at the moment:
"You can have a shingles vaccine at the same time as most other vaccines. But try to leave 7 days between the shingles vaccine and a coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccine, so that if you have any side effects you'll know which vaccine they were from."
https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vaccinati ... d-answers/

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

It looks as if, in Scotland, the onus has been shifted from the doctor to the HB.
I’ve found Lanarkshire HB ( not mine) said in August this year
Local people aged 78 and 79 have started to receive appointments for their shingles vaccine.
and
The wider roll-out for people aged 70 to 77 will take place from January 2023 after the covid-19 booster and flu vaccination programmes have finished.
Looks as if I should have hung on a bit longer. Just back from A&E, as right eye wouldn’t open this morning, now armed with Aciclovir. Shingles confirmed and fingers crossed I’ll get some respite from this pain shortly.

E2E info
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Sounds particulary bad syptoms :(
Good luck with recovery.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

F5060D79-B473-4757-A353-74EA6ECF5011.jpeg
F5060D79-B473-4757-A353-74EA6ECF5011.jpeg (25.76 KiB) Viewed 688 times
Day eight the pain is more manageable today.
I guess I’ve got the itchy scratchy to come next. Out in the rain yesterday was painful wish I’d thought of an umbrella.

E2E info