Cycling using trains (in UK and EU)

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
JohnMorgan

Re: Travelling with a touring bike on a train in the uk

Post by JohnMorgan »

LNER down to London and back with a touring bike, only a rack top bag. Booked the bike in before going down, hung it in the ‘wardrobe’ no problem. Coming back delayed by having to book the bike into an available ‘wardrobe’. Once again, no problem.

Southern Rail advised me to ‘avoid First Class’, but were happy for me to put the bike into the ‘open’ area at the carriage doors - had to stand, though, as I had no idea which side of the carriage would be at a platform.

At all the stations the staff were quick to facilitate getting the bike through barriers and helpful directing me to the best spot for getting the bike on.

Top hole.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Avanti have just started refurbishing their class 390 pendolinos which work the west coast main line between Euston and points north west. As part of this, they have slightly modified the bike storage area. Instead of a space where 4 bikes can be randomly leant on each other, the space now has 2 wheel racks and 2 ceiling hooks arranged alternately at an angle.
20220629_070556.jpg
There are no instructions for use as far as I can see. I will try and remember to suggest to the manager that they are added, as I suspect that they will not be used correctly. I'm attaching a photo, but as I'm not that familiar with the process, I apologise in advance if it's either tiny, enormous, or just not there at all.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Photo is fine.

But is the plane of the wheels transverse to the length of the train or longitudinal or somewhere in between?

Thanks

Jonathan
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Pendodave wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 4:40pm Avanti have just started refurbishing their class 390 pendolinos which work the west coast main line between Euston and points north west. As part of this, they have slightly modified the bike storage area. Instead of a space where 4 bikes can be randomly leant on each other, the space now has 2 wheel racks and 2 ceiling hooks arranged alternately at an angle. 20220629_070556.jpg There are no instructions for use as far as I can see. I will try and remember to suggest to the manager that they are added, as I suspect that they will not be used correctly. I'm attaching a photo, but as I'm not that familiar with the process, I apologise in advance if it's either tiny, enormous, or just not there at all.
mm - a bit concerning - I use Avanti a fair bit on the west coast line and have always liked the existing system - nice and simple - especially if heavily loaded as I often am - not keen in putting my wheel in any sort of "holder", particularly if loaded. I always carry my own straps and have found the existing system great - if you can work through Avanti's wonky booking system and get as far as their staff on the platform who are usually excellent.

edit - questions Pendo - (and from your forum name I tend to think that you might not be a million track miles from this bunch) - 1: is the space still for 4 bikes? 2 - is there any obligation to actually stick your wheel in these things?
Last edited by Sweep on 29 Jun 2022, 5:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sweep
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Jdsk wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 4:44pm Photo is fine.

But is the plane of the wheels transverse to the length of the train or longitudinal or somewhere in between?
I've met something like this in recent years ... somewhere in the UK ..
I think that rack is attached to the (inside!) side of the train, and
the bikes fit in at roughly 30'[degrees] from the "length of the train".

But it was a while ago, and we didn't come anywhere near filling the rack ...
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Hmm. The photo is taken at an angle to try and fit it all in. It's taken from the crew access door where you enter with your bike. The door to the driver's cab is on the right side of the photo. Unfortunately i don't have any other photos, and probably won't come across another upgraded train for a while. So I'll try and describe it a little better.
The back wall of the 'cupboard' is along the length of the carriage.
So all of the bike fittings are pointing at an acute angle back along the length of the carriage. This is to try and ensure that the bikes don't block access to the cab. There is a yellow line on the floor (Not shown on the photo!) which bikes should not protude beyond.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

Jonathan
PH

Post by PH »

Sweep wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 5:02pm 2 - is there any obligation to actually stick your wheel in these things?
I'm sure Pendodave will correct this if wrong, but from the photo, it looks like two bikes hung and two on the floor between them. Obligation or not, the space isn't going to fit four bikes unless it's used as designed.
I don't like it, four bikes get on and off at the same time and I'm sure the riders could work it out, as soon as you start adding or removing bikes along the way it's going to get awkward.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Pendodave wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 4:40pm Avanti have just started refurbishing their class 390 pendolinos which work the west coast main line between Euston and points north west. As part of this, they have slightly modified the bike storage area. Instead of a space where 4 bikes can be randomly leant on each other, the space now has 2 wheel racks and 2 ceiling hooks arranged alternately at an angle.
:( Does anyone know what the hell they are thinking doing this? Do First Group hate bikes and want to trash the West Coast provision like they have the Great Western? Or they want to downgrade the 390s so cyclists get some weightlifting/acrobatic practice ready for more of the awful 80Xs on the West Coast due next year?
mattheus wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 5:04pm I've met something like this in recent years ... somewhere in the UK ..
I think that rack is attached to the (inside!) side of the train, and
the bikes fit in at roughly 30'[degrees] from the "length of the train".

But it was a while ago, and we didn't come anywhere near filling the rack ...
Some of the South Western units have "fantail" roughly-30°-angled racks, but all bikes sit on the ground. No-one has to lift their bike sideways.
PH wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 5:11pm as soon as you start adding or removing bikes along the way it's going to get awkward.
Awkward? Bikes are going to get damaged because of this bad design and I bet Avanti won't pay for it.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Sweep wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 5:02pm
Pendodave wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 4:40pm Avanti have just started refurbishing their class 390 pendolinos which work the west coast main line between Euston and points north west. As part of this, they have slightly modified the bike storage area. Instead of a space where 4 bikes can be randomly leant on each other, the space now has 2 wheel racks and 2 ceiling hooks arranged alternately at an angle. 20220629_070556.jpg There are no instructions for use as far as I can see. I will try and remember to suggest to the manager that they are added, as I suspect that they will not be used correctly. I'm attaching a photo, but as I'm not that familiar with the process, I apologise in advance if it's either tiny, enormous, or just not there at all.
mm - a bit concerning - I use Avanti a fair bit on the west coast line and have always liked the existing system - nice and simple - especially if heavily loaded as I often am - not keen in putting my wheel in any sort of "holder", particularly if loaded. I always carry my own straps and have found the existing system great - if you can work through Avanti's wonky booking system and get as far as their staff on the platform who are usually excellent.

edit - questions Pendo - (and from your forum name I tend to think that you might not be a million track miles from this bunch) - 1: is the space still for 4 bikes? 2 - is there any obligation to actually stick your wheel in these things?
Yes. There are still 4 spaces. They are now labelled A-B. I have no idea whether this is specified when you reserve your bike. I assume not, as most of the fleet is not yet upgraded.

I don't believe that there will be anyone checking how they are used, but the new furniture means that only one bike could probably fit just parked up lengthwise. Because of this, as a member if the cycling (rather than railway) community, I'd always use these as intended out of consideration to other users.

Additionally, There would be a risk of damaging wheels etc with all the metalwork now in place.

One thing that occurs to me is that the old cupboards were able to accommodate tandems and other non-standard bikes. I'm not sure that this would now be the case.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

PH wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 5:11pm
Sweep wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 5:02pm 2 - is there any obligation to actually stick your wheel in these things?
I'm sure Pendodave will correct this if wrong, but from the photo, it looks like two bikes hung and two on the floor between them. Obligation or not, the space isn't going to fit four bikes unless it's used as designed.
I don't like it, four bikes get on and off at the same time and I'm sure the riders could work it out, as soon as you start adding or removing bikes along the way it's going to get awkward.
oh cripes - hopefully pendo can reassure me but if as you say bloody awful - I got an email earlier today from Avanti about their supposedly wonderful new pendos - it's looking like another instance of "improved" things being worse.

The existing system was fine - in my experience cyclists usually sat pretty close to the bike bit and you could sort amongst yourselves who was getting off where so that issues were minimised for cyclists and the train company. All very civilised for all concerned.

My only bad on-train experience was when recently getting on at euston some avanti chap told me I would have to take my bags off and take them into the carriage, even if he had no idea whether anyone else was getting on. The woman at Manchester Picadilly told me he must have got out of bed the wrong side :)

unless pendo can reassure us, I can see this causing issues, particularly if bikes are loaded (quite often are in some way on the Euston to Scotland run)
Sweep
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

just seen pendos reply.
I'll try to board at euston early early in future - no desire to hang my bike so will try to nab the conventional slot - if this causes issues for other cyclists getting on afterwards, will eventually sort I suppose but noise will be made and a strong complaint sent to Avanti for their screwing up of a perfectly good system.

If getting on north of euston to terminate there, suppose I will at least have time to reassemble everything.

One really does wonder what input went into this/just what they thought they were achieving.

May have to go back to London Northwestern and their simple system.
Sweep
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Avanti's news item:

"Refurbished Pendolinos return to the rails as part of UK’s biggest ever train upgrade":
https://newsdesk.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/ ... in-upgrade

Jonathan
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

mjr wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 5:16pm :( Does anyone know what the hell they are thinking doing this? Do First Group hate bikes and want to trash the West Coast provision like they have the Great Western? Or they want to downgrade the 390s so cyclists get some weightlifting/acrobatic practice ready for more of the awful 80Xs on the West Coast due next year?
I don't think it's malicious, I just don't think they asked any cyclists what they wanted. Or maybe they did, and they said "this".

As for the 800s, when I heard that these were conning to us I enquired about the cycle provision I was told that it would be a slight improvement on the LNER provision. I don't recall exactly (you could search the forum, as I posted the reply). but I think that wider tyres could be accommodated. As soon as I see one, I'll post some pictures.
Then duck!
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Jdsk wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 5:29pm Avanti's news item:

"Refurbished Pendolinos return to the rails as part of UK’s biggest ever train upgrade":
https://newsdesk.avantiwestcoast.co.uk/ ... in-upgrade

Jonathan
yep - that's what I got.
that's the blurb/PR.

thank god for Northern's simple stock.
Sweep