Road tyres on gravel bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Johnyygo

Road tyres on gravel bike

Post by Johnyygo »

Hi I have a Boardman gravel bike. Is it possible to replace the gravel tyres with 25mm road tyres?
Thanks
peetee

Re: Road tyres on gravel bike

Post by peetee »

Without knowing the model of bike and which wheels are fitted it’s difficult to say but 25mm would likely be a bit too narrow for the width of rim. Also if you are considering a swap you would have to be aware if the rims are for tubeless tyres or wire-on (clincher) tyres.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
Paradiddle

Post by Paradiddle »

Can you provide more details? At least the model of the bike but would be worth knowing the current tyre size, the maximum tyre width of the frame and inner rim width of the wheels.
jimster99

Post by jimster99 »

Why do you want 25mm tyres? 28mm and wider tyres are about as fast and a little more comfortable.

See e.g. https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buyers ... es-faster/
Cyclo2022

Post by Cyclo2022 »

I would go 28 minimum, just in case you decide to choose to go onto gravel or a bridle path on your route. I use 28mm on my CX bike which is similar to a Gravel bike and have no problems on bridle paths etc. Obviously your current wheel size will determine how narrow you can go.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I agree with cyclo and jimster 28mm will be better. I sometimes swap out, in the summer, on my Toughroad from a 50mm knobbly to 28 smooth and can still take a rough road when needed
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
NickJP

Post by NickJP »

I quite often run 35mm file tread road tyres on my gravel bike. I have two sets of wheels for it - these wheels with Compass Bon Jon Pass 700x35 tyres for when I'm mainly riding on the road, and another set with 650Bx47 knobbies for when I'm mainly riding off-road. I use the wheels with 35mm tyres on bunch training rides, and can't say that I notice them slowing me down:
IMG_20181210_133208.jpg
Johnyygo

Post by Johnyygo »

Hi all many thanks your replies. The model is a Boardman ADV 8.6 Mens Adventure

Thanks
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Yes. Don't get to hung up about rim width. I bet yours are no more than about 20mm inside. I would happily bung 25mm tyres on those but, if I wanted fast and comfy, would go 28/30mm .I run a selection of rims about this width and my favourites are 30mm tubeless for winter/crappy road/smoothish gravel and 28 for mostly slightly better roads. Neither would stop me riding gravel woodland tracks or steep and hilly roads.
Slap a set on and feel how nice they can be. Use decent tyres though not some Schwalbe hose pipe jobs designed for riding through glass skips.
willcee

Post by willcee »

Interesting contris, experience would suggest 32, as many Americans eg Jan Heine etc etc have done tests and have data they claim that 32's are as fast as the narrow kit especially on our third world surfaces, my take is 32's currently,sans power, I'm on 37's and 40's avec power...will
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

It comes down to the internal (and external) rim width. the wider the rim the wider the tyre should be. If the rim is too wide relative to the tyre, you increase the probability of pinch flats, or worst catching the rim on the ground while cornering. Have the tyre pumped hard reduces this risk if you are at the tigher end of the scale.

So really you need to measure the rim. there is no hard and fast rules, as there is so many variable (rider weight for example!), but there are guides online.

Your bike came with 38mm, so my guess would be that 25 would be right at the bottom end, possibly too small. but without measuring the rim it's just a guess.

if you don't already have the tyres, as others have said you can go bigger than 25 without loss of performance. I would go bigger on that bike personally. probably 32mm slicks.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

My previous main bike was a Boardman CX with Mavic wheels, and I ran that on quite heavy 32mm utility tyres (Continental contact plus) both on and off road for a long time. That size and tread allowed me to keep up on group road rides up to about 14mph average, and was good for “light gravel”, so a good compromise. 32mm tubeless would probably be even better.

Since then, I’ve moved up to 38/40mm to cope better with a wider range of off-road, and accept that it’s a couple of mph slower on the road.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

mattsccm wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 10:35pm Yes. Don't get to hung up about rim width. I bet yours are no more than about 20mm inside. I would happily bung 25mm tyres on those but, if I wanted fast and comfy, would go 28/30mm .I run a selection of rims about this width and my favourites are 30mm tubeless for winter/crappy road/smoothish gravel and 28 for mostly slightly better roads. Neither would stop me riding gravel woodland tracks or steep and hilly roads.
Slap a set on and feel how nice they can be. Use decent tyres though not some Schwalbe hose pipe jobs designed for riding through glass skips.
:lol:

More-or-less agree with the above.

You can check the exact spec of the rims and see what width range is approved by the manucfacturer, for peace of mind; but I'd be vv suprised if a 28mm tyre isn't "allowed".
(It's sold as a "gravel bike", yes? It would be different if a "MTB".)
scottg

Post by scottg »

willcee wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 10:46pm Interesting contris, experience would suggest 32, as many Americans eg Jan Heine etc etc have done tests and have data[snip]
Many Americans have this sticker, on the floor pump....... :D

jan.jpg
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-AG
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

But, isn’t the “American Way” these days to divide into two camps on any issue: one that believes; and, another that doesn’t? After which the culture war is fought, beginning with bumper/track-pump stickers, progressing through shouting at one another with loud-hailers, and ending …….. well, we don’t know where it will all end yet.