Will a seatpost get through UK airport Security?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
jimneycricket

Will a seatpost get through UK airport Security?

Post by jimneycricket »

Hi there ,

I'm living in Ireland. A family member is travelling over tomorrow with a seatpost for me. (I send all my Ebay UK purchases to them to dodge customs , lower post rate etc)

They are flying from Stanstead and it turns out wont have checked luggage so will have to bring the post as carry on luggage.

So I am wondering will it be confiscated if they try this ? It was expensive and rare so Id hate to lose it that way.

I tried to get a definite answer on google but the closest I could find is that tennis clubs and hiking poles are not allowed in the cabin so a prickly security attendant could see it as a potential club like weapon. it is a metal bar after all with a big clamp on one end.

It's 300mm long. if that makes any odds.
simonhill

Re: Will a seatpost get through UK airport Security?

Post by simonhill »

The only definite answer you will get is off the security person who spots it on the screen as your 'courier's' hand baggage is scanned.

Given that there is no accompanying bike, it would be hard to argue it's necessity.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

simonhill wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 6:42pmGiven that there is no accompanying bike, it would be hard to argue it's necessity.
It's about whether an item represents a risk or not. Its necessity, or otherwise, won't make any difference either way.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

Could not the family member wrap it up as a checked luggage item?
I appreciate they probably deliberatly don't want checked luggage for a quick exit at the other end!
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

PT1029 wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 9:19pm Could not the family member wrap it up as a checked luggage item?
I appreciate they probably deliberatly don't want checked luggage for a quick exit at the other end!
This is the sensible approach I think
Barrowman

Post by Barrowman »

A few years ago I flew abroad with a diss assembled unicycle . Considering customs and the potential language barrier I took photos of the complete machine and the dis assembled bits (the saddle looked just like a machine gun stock to me) . No problem . A seat pin does look vaguely reminiscent of a gun.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Barrowman wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 10:00pm A few years ago I flew abroad with a diss assembled unicycle . Considering customs and the potential language barrier I took photos of the complete machine and the dis assembled bits (the saddle looked just like a machine gun stock to me) . No problem . A seat pin does look vaguely reminiscent of a gun.
it looks like/is something for potentially clobbering people with.
ie truncheon.
I'd be surprised if they let you walk on with a metal truncheon.
Personally I wouldn't risk it.
I know someone who had a bike lock confiscated.
someone had an expensive alessi corkscrew confiscated.
Sweep
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

jimneycricket wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 6:14pm Hi there ,

I'm living in Ireland. A family member is travelling over tomorrow with a seatpost for me. (I send all my Ebay UK purchases to them to dodge customs , lower post rate etc)

They are flying from Stanstead and it turns out wont have checked luggage so will have to bring the post as carry on luggage.

So I am wondering will it be confiscated if they try this ? It was expensive and rare so Id hate to lose it that way.

I tried to get a definite answer on google but the closest I could find is that tennis clubs and hiking poles are not allowed in the cabin so a prickly security attendant could see it as a potential club like weapon. it is a metal bar after all with a big clamp on one end.

It's 300mm long. if that makes any odds.
(My bold)
When I first read this, I initially thought it was something about smuggling.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Sweep wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 10:37amI know someone who had a bike lock confiscated.
someone had an expensive alessi corkscrew confiscated.
Strictly speaking, they don't actually confiscate anything.

They just inform you that if you want to hang on to it, you won't be flying anywhere, but the choice is entirely up to you ... :?
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

It could be justifiably stopped as a potential weapon. I wouldn't risk it, especially as you say it's rare. Just suck up the cost and have it posted. I had a small d-lock confiscated for the same reason.
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

I was stopped from taking a pedal spanner onto a flight as it could be used as a weapon.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

I managed a small multi tool, 8mm soanner and some resin toe clips and straps on Ryan Air 3 years ago. Were hiring bikes in France, and I took them to fit to the hire bike. I might have got away with it as I has my cycling helet on my head thus complying with their onerrously worded luggage regs.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

wirral_cyclist wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 11:24am I was stopped from taking a pedal spanner onto a flight as it could be used as a weapon.
I bent the allen key in the Nice Airport packing area.
So maybe that's
Cyclists 1 - 1 Airports

[obviously hadn't put *enough* copper grease on that particular pedal ... :oops: ]
Manc33

Post by Manc33 »

Can you take your hands on board, since they could be used as a weapon? :lol:
We'll always be together, together on electric bikes.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Manc33 wrote: 2 Jul 2022, 3:27pm Can you take your hands on board, since they could be used as a weapon? :lol:
You can take glass bottles on board as long as duty free. That's always puzzled me...