How do I negotiate a traffic queue?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ThisWreckage

How do I negotiate a traffic queue?

Post by ThisWreckage »

If I am approaching a queue of vehicles up to a light-controlled junction which has a painted cycle box (is that what it's called?) at the head of the queue and I want to turn right, what is the rule? Can I cycle past the vehicles to stop in the box or must I take my place behind them, which seems to negate the reason the box was painted? If I can cycle past, should I use the right or left side of the vehicles?
Vorpal

Re: How do I negotiate a traffic queue?

Post by Vorpal »

Welcome to the forum.

Yes you can filter past waiting traffic. Personally, I would prefer to do it on the right, if I were turning right. Mainly because if I don't make it to the box before the light changes, I'm not stuck on the left, wanting to turn right.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
ThisWreckage

Post by ThisWreckage »

Thanks for the advice and the link. Now I know how to do it safely.
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

I gauge every queue on its merits and it always depends on the road layout.

Mostly I will filter on the outside and yield to oncoming traffic. I don't always force myself to the front of a queue unless there is an advance cycle box and I am confident that I can make it before the lights change.

If I'm intending to turn left I will pick a gap and stick a wheel ahead and take primary once the traffic starts moving again. I always try and find a balance between being assertive without being aggressive.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

ThisWreckage wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 9:33am If I am approaching a queue of vehicles up to a light-controlled junction which has a painted cycle box (is that what it's called?) at the head of the queue and I want to turn right, what is the rule? Can I cycle past the vehicles to stop in the box or must I take my place behind them, which seems to negate the reason the box was painted? If I can cycle past, should I use the right or left side of the vehicles?
It is called an advanced stop line. The first line is where motors must stop at red - the second one is where cyclists must stop.
Yes, you are allowed to overtake to reach it - and you are now allowed to enter the box by crossing the motor stop line at any point (previously you were only allowed to enter where it was broken for a cycle lane)

Like all overtaking manoevres it is up to you to decide when and whether it is safe to do so. Your default assumption should be that you join the back of the queue and make a positive decision to overtake. If the queue is short and the lights are about to change then just move through with the queue in the middle of the lane designated for your direction.

If you do decide to overtake, and it is often worthwhile, then usually this will be safer and easier to the right, but it will depend of the exact road layout and where you are heading. Generally avoid overtaking on the left unless you are going to turn left at the junction - even if there is a marked cycle lane. Certainly if you are turning right you should overtake on the right hand side.

If there are multiple lanes, you need to consider how the traffic will start moving if the lights change before you get to the front. So aim to filter between lanes carrying traffic that wont cross your path though the junction.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I know I'm not directly answering the Q. but my reaction to the conundrum posed by the op would be to see if I could find a traffic-free route. That's the approach I've tried to apply to all journey planning even if it meant going out of my way to stay on a suitable traffic-free or low-traffic way to my destination.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

If I've got close enough to the front of the queue that I'll get through on the next change, I'll stop where I am because there's no point in going any further when the cars at the front can accelerate faster than me, and the lights might change whilst I'm doing it.
ChrisP100 wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 10:32amI don't always force myself to the front of a queue unless there is an advance cycle box and I am confident that I can make it before the lights change.
This.
I've seen numerous videos on Twitter where a cyclist rides past a queue, swerves in front of the front car just as the lights change, then complains that the driver honks at them. This is just the same behaviour as the MGIF motorist who pushes past a bike only to grind to a halt again at the back of a queue 50 yards up the road. On one such occasion a woman did this when there was only a single van waiting at the lights, and gained absolutely nothing from it other than to p!ss off another motorist who'll go down the pub and moan to his mates about cyclists, and we're already lumbered with enough of them as it is.

When you're a few cars back from the line, the queue starts moving much more slowly than at the front, at an acceleration closer to that of a cycle, which gives motorists less sense of being held up.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

When you're a few cars back from the line, the queue starts moving much more slowly than at the front, at an acceleration closer to that of a cycle, which gives motorists less sense of being held up.
Yes, and I usually position myself towards middle of the lane, because that avoids another potential trouble, which is finding yourself gradually pushed into the kerb if vehicles start to move and overtake you, each one slightly closer than the previous. It’s one of those things that happens without intent, partly I think because drivers can’t always see you ‘through’ the vehicle in front, but can get you into an awkward situation.
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Nearholmer wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 3:46pm
Yes, and I usually position myself towards middle of the lane, because that avoids another potential trouble, which is finding yourself gradually pushed into the kerb if vehicles start to move and overtake you, each one slightly closer than the previous. It’s one of those things that happens without intent, partly I think because drivers can’t always see you ‘through’ the vehicle in front, but can get you into an awkward situation.
If i'm in an advanced cycle box waiting for the lights to change I position myself either just to the left or right of an imaginary centre line of the lane depending which way I intent to turn, or if straight on the centre of the lane. Also if I'm turning left or right I will stick my had out and indicate for a few seconds just prior to the lights changing.

Sticking my arm out came about because I have had occasions where other cyclists have tried to cut up the inside of me on the bend when I've been turning left because they've had the momentum as the lights changed. Usually quite a shock when it happens. On one occasion I nearly ended up clashing pedals which would have resulted in one or both of us having a spill at a busy junction. With my arm out it's usually enough to discourage all bu the most idiotic from trying to cut up the inside in a dangerous situation. It also gives drivers fair warning of my intentions.
Pete Owens

Post by Pete Owens »

ChrisP100 wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 8:46am Sticking my arm out came about because I have had occasions where other cyclists have tried to cut up the inside of me on the bend when I've been turning left because they've had the momentum as the lights changed. Usually quite a shock when it happens. On one occasion I nearly ended up clashing pedals which would have resulted in one or both of us having a spill at a busy junction.
Something you will need to increasingly have to watch out for now the new highway code means that they have priority over you.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

It might also suggest that in those locations at least, "just left of the centre lane" is not left enough if you're turning right.
ChrisP100

Post by ChrisP100 »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 9:57am It might also suggest that in those locations at least, "just left of the centre lane" is not left enough if you're turning right.
I'm just right of the centre of the lane when I'm turning right.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

ChrisP100 wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 10:47am
Bmblbzzz wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 9:57am It might also suggest that in those locations at least, "just left of the centre lane" is not left enough if you're turning right.
I'm just right of the centre of the lane when I'm turning right.
Aaggh! My branez! :oops: I meant, of course, "just left of the centre of the lane is not left enough if you're turning left." On the grounds that other cyclists and probably drivers interpret this as "the middle of the lane" and therefore going straight on.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Indeed. I’m an arm sticker-out too for that reason.

I also turn round and try to make eye contact with the driver behind during any wait. because it seems that eye contact somehow changes the dynamic.