charge duster mid touring?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
jep235

charge duster mid touring?

Post by jep235 »

Hi,
I have a charge duster mid with steel frame and front suspension forks. I was wondering whether to go touring on it as I have a rear axle trailer (burley coho xc).
I have tried pulling the trailer locally, which works ok, but a little worried about whether the charge frame is strong enough to cope with the rigours of a multi day tour.

Would changing the forks to rigid ones make any difference or am I asking too much of the charge and need a more suitable bike....a Surly Bridge Club for example?
Thanks
iandusud

Re: charge duster mid touring?

Post by iandusud »

I would have thought that would make a great touring bike with its good quality steel frame and suitably low gearing. Changing the front fork for a rigid one for road use would save some weight and wouldn't be a bad idea, but not necessary at all. In fact I think you ought to give it a go as it is and see how you like it before splashing out. Go for it.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

Personally I wouldn't be too concerned about the strength of the frame - although i've only ever ridden a duster once - i've ridden their tange steel frames for 15 years now, with some fairly heavy off road abuse, and never had a frame issue, other than paint scratching.

If its in good nick, and you comfortable on it, i would say why not.
PT1029

Post by PT1029 »

RE changing the front fork, it would need to be a "suspension ready" rigid fork, ie, a standard fork but with longer fork blades to match the length of your suspension fork legs. If you fit a standard fork, the fork blades/legs are shorter than your current forks, and so front of the bike frame lower. This alters the headset angle of the frame, which thus messes up the steering handling (probably quiye noticable!).
If you are giving it a go/trying it out, I'd stick with the existing forks while you see how it goes.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Welcome

Is there a particular reason that you'd use a trailer for touring?

Thanks

Jonathan
jep235

Post by jep235 »

Thanks for your replies and encouragement. Good to hear forumites think the frame should cope.

Am using a trailer as the charge doesn't have braze on fittings for panniers.

Will try out the set up on a tour of Yorkshire Dales next month....thanks.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Thanks

A recent discussion of options for bikes without fittings:
viewtopic.php?t=145740

Jonathan
Chris Jeggo

Post by Chris Jeggo »

Jdsk wrote: 2 Jul 2022, 9:41am Thanks

A recent discussion of options for bikes without fittings:
viewtopic.php?t=145740

Jonathan
I have just skimmed through that thread. I may have missed it, but I don't think anyone said that, when fitting an axle-mounting rack to a bike with quick-release wheels, the rack must be fitted inside the dropouts, not outside, so that the load rests on the axle, not on the skewer. This means that installing and removing the wheel is much more involved.
It is also likely that longer axle and skewer will be needed, especially as spacers might need to be added (also inside the dropouts) to avoid interference between rack and seat stays. It is much simpler with a solid axle and wheel nuts - the rack goes outside the dropouts.
The centre of gravity of the rack complete with loaded panniers is usually vertically above the axle, or close to that, so that nearly all the luggage load is taken by the axle. The rack stays which attach to the cycle's seat stays bear the very much smaller force required to prevent the rack from rotating fore or aft about the wheel axle. So I would not worry about using P-clips, other than possibly over-tightening them on to the seat stays.
PH

Post by PH »

The bike will be fine, as will the forks as long as they're functioning OK, or have a lock out.
I'd also use the trailer, unless there was a reason not to, the Burley Coho looks excellent. If you're new to touring it's quite likely you'll overpack, for many people experience results in lightening the load. Trailer seems like a good option if the gear is a bit heavier or bulky. I used a trailer a few times when carrying the gear for 2, it was only a disadvantage when getting the train.
If you end up doing more, then you may end up with a different bike and kit, but for now using what you have seems like the way to go.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Does the bike in question have the rear disc caliper mounted on the seatstay? That makes it awkward to fit a pannier rack.