Tyres

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rmurphy195

Re: Tyres

Post by rmurphy195 »

Tredz, Planetx, Spa Cycles (mainly Schwalbe there as I recollect) or SJS. A lightweight folding tyre, perhaps 700x32 or 700x35 if you have clearance (my 700x32 are actually 700x35!). Something similar to the now defunct Vittoria Randonneur Pro or Voyageur Hyper might do you well.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
JohnMorgan

Post by JohnMorgan »

My Renown is currently running on Fincci 700 x 28 tyres from t'bay, quite nicely, thank you. Picked them up last winter as the resident pair were cracked, put them on this spring and have ridden most days. No problems so far.

After a hammered set of Schwalbe 27 x 1 1/4 tyres on the Galaxy finally cracked, I threw on a 'budget' pair of tan walls, once again from t'bay, which have also done sterling service on road, bridleway, gravel and grass. Including Newhaven to Gatwick.
cc1085

Post by cc1085 »

I've have a pr. of Schwalbe Marathons that have lasted for years and thousands of miles. Never had a puncture on any terrain. Fully loaded touring?no problem, gravel,dirt,mud,no problem. One tyre that does it all.
Thom
elmo

Post by elmo »

cc1085 wrote: 15 Jul 2022, 9:11pm I've have a pr. of Schwalbe Marathons that have lasted for years and thousands of miles. Never had a puncture on any terrain. Fully loaded touring?no problem, gravel,dirt,mud,no problem. One tyre that does it all.
Thom
I use these very same tyres. They are as good as bomb proof. I also have slimed inner tubes. Had a 'puncture' the other day. Turned out to be a leaking valve. My previous 'puncture' was about 7 years ago, also a leaking valve! I use my bikes regularly for commuting and heavy loaded on multiple surfaces.

Elmo