Cycling UK Forum Moderator offer

Anything about use of this forum : NOT about cycling
slowster

Re: Cycling UK Forum Moderator offer

Post by slowster »

Tiggertoo wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 8:30pm I do expect to be treated the same way as I treat everyone else I ever come in contact with, and that is with respect.
So, I will take this from 'admin':

'The moderators' job is to keep the Forum a pleasant place to discuss things. That's it.'

as gospel and drop in if I have anything I want to ask, say, or comment on, and see how it goes.
Yesterday you posted the comment below on the thread about packing panniers. It breaches the forum's general guidelines, and is not what I would call treating other members of the forum with respect.
Tiggertoo wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 8:50pm [removed by moderator]
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Oh, really slowster? Didn't you ever go to school and josh with your fellows?
slowster

Post by slowster »

Tiggertoo wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 11:05pm Oh, really slowster? Didn't you ever go to school and josh with your fellows?
This is a public internet forum, not a school playground. Your remark was offensive.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

slowster wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 11:18pm
Tiggertoo wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 11:05pm Oh, really slowster? Didn't you ever go to school and josh with your fellows?
This is a public internet forum, not a school playground. Your remark was offensive.
+1
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 29 Jun 2022, 6:49am
slowster wrote: 28 Jun 2022, 11:18pm
+1
It has now been removed & the post above edited to reflect that.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Advice to us all: rather than whinge about moderation, reflect on the content of our posts.
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

mjr wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 12:39pm The moderators are overworked because ........
I did offer my services to help out as a moderator, but I was ignored.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The recruitment of moderators has now been put on a formal basis. (And I do know that this was what inspired the current thread

viewtopic.php?p=1700872#p1700872
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

De Sisti wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 10:27am
mjr wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 12:39pm The moderators are overworked because ........
I did offer my services to help out as a moderator, but I was ignored.
Likewise (at a time many (incl. moderators) were raising "limited moderation resource". I'd not be "applying" to Cycling UK on a formal basis.

Ian
horizon

Post by horizon »

thirdcrank wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 10:55am The recruitment of moderators has now been put on a formal basis. (And I do know that this was what inspired the current thread

viewtopic.php?p=1700872#p1700872
Thanks for the link, thirdcrank.

My further thoughts on this are that if one were to be setting up a forum today, one's first thought would be: how and by whom it would be moderated. It would otherwise be like running bus service without having thought about recruiting a driver.

What is heartening is that Cycling UK appears to be taking the forum seriously and supporting it. In fact I think there is a general recognition today that on-line community resources are an integral part of providing any kind of product or service.

There may be downsides of course. CyclingUK will have a stronger hand in and on the forum and may try to align it with its own values and aspirations. I'm willing to go with some of that for the sake of a well managed resource. What I would look forward to is a more explicit policy. Generally I support and agree with the moderation on here but covid was a minefield and there was no IMV real reference point for how it should be moderated.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Might this be a consolation prize for the would-be World King?

Is anyone else preparing a campaign video?
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

I predict this will not go well if the candidates picked are from the current crop of members.
There will be bias.
From my relatively short time here I have concluded that there are little cliques(all forums have them)and there is some favouritism shown.If those members were to apply,and they probably have,then this could get worse.
A completely unrelated team would be better.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

PedallingSquares wrote: 14 Jul 2022, 9:58am I predict this will not go well if the candidates picked are from the current crop of members.
There will be bias.
From my relatively short time here I have concluded that there are little cliques(all forums have them)and there is some favouritism shown.If those members were to apply,and they probably have,then this could get worse.
A completely unrelated team would be better.
I am aware of several long standing members who have previously offered to help out (at times when moderators were highlighting about "limited resource") and never got responses to their offers.

Ian
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

But the current situation is that Cuk is advertising the roles. Let's hope that there are suitable applicants. The last thing we need is sniping, especially about perceived past grievances.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I think these comments are useful.

a moderator wrote:Some people think that posts should be edited & moved so that information on a topic is always condensed into one thread. I happen to not agree: a forum is a dynamic thing with waves and eddies .......... sometimes yes, often leave it alone ......

Some people think that anything remotely describable as a 'personal attack' should be heaved over the side. Some contributors thoroughly deserve to be poked occasionally, life is like that, conversation in t'pub are like that. Calling someone f[expletiv]ly useless isn't on, suggesting that they are being irritating and picky is fine; particularly if they are being irritating and picky ..........

another moderator wrote: It matters not a jot that some newbie? raises a question that had been addressed fully two years ago. Yes, put a link up perhaps, but don't alert the mods. It they do, just delete the report.

Personal attacks are fine unless they get very personal, and most never get anywhere near that.
Mick F. Cornwall