GPS problems

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Bobbin

GPS problems

Post by Bobbin »

I have a Lezyne macro plus to which I download routes plotted on Komoot.
I have occasional problems with following a route.
Firstly, the gps will tell me to turn round even though I am on the correct route.
Secondly it doesn’t always give a turn direction for a junction, though it quite often gives a turn direction because the road bends !
I don’t know whether these are caused by the gps or by Komoot.
Not a massive problem I know, but it don’t half bug me when I have to keep stopping to check the map 😎
Paulatic

Re: GPS problems

Post by Paulatic »

It will be the routing software and more common with Komoot than say cycle.travel.
You can check routes in your GPSRoot walk through the turns and they show on the map edit any you think are wrong.
9A5442CC-A721-4DA3-BF7F-12F018340F09.png
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Maybe if you are plotting your own routes using waypoints then sometimes a waypoint can be just off course. That way you miss going through the waypoint so the "satnav" wants you to alter direction to go back to the waypoint. Over many years I have learnt to double check that waypoints are directly on the road and not down a sideroad. Usually by zooming in to maximum to check where the waypoint is.
Your second comment it is not uncommon for a satnav to interpret a junction/bend wrongly. I've had it a few times and on various units. Possibly down to the algorithm or mapping that the satnav uses.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

Thanks chaps, I will give your ideas a whirl. I like the idea about way points. I shall be more diligent about checking the route before setting off ! 😎
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

When I first started using satnavs and plotting a route on the PC, more than once I chose the wrong side of a dual carriageway. :oops:
I wondered why I seemed to be heading the wrong way. :?
Also similar if there where two roads running parallel and I hadn't been diligent enough to notice and put the waypoint on the wrong road. Only by zooming did I spot the error. :roll:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
sjs

Post by sjs »

cycleruk wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 11:13pm When I first started using satnavs and plotting a route on the PC, more than once I chose the wrong side of a dual carriageway. :oops:
I wondered why I seemed to be heading the wrong way. :?
Also similar if there where two roads running parallel and I hadn't been diligent enough to notice and put the waypoint on the wrong road. Only by zooming did I spot the error. :roll:
I got cycle.travel to find me a nice circular route once, then decided to do it in the direction opposite to the one CT had in mind. It never occurred to me there might be a significant stretch of one-way road in an apparently fairly rural location near Welwyn Garden City.
Bobbin

Post by Bobbin »

An update : things have improved considerably now I zoom right in to plot routes. Not had any false ‘turn round’ notifications 😎. Still get the odd misleading junction but as I now trust the gps ( more or less) , I’m soon back on track.
The few times I’ve stopped to check the gps has been correct.
Thanks again for the help.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Bobbin wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 7:07pm An update : things have improved considerably now I zoom right in to plot routes. Not had any false ‘turn round’ notifications 😎. Still get the odd misleading junction but as I now trust the gps ( more or less) , I’m soon back on track.
The few times I’ve stopped to check the gps has been correct.
Thanks again for the help.
I don't know about the Lezyne but my GPS does a "lock to roads" or at least has a strong preference to "lock you onto roads". On occasions where a road has forked but then run parallel, maybe slowly diverging the GPS has occasionally had me on the wrong road. If it's slowly diverging my "position" will get worse until GPS then decides the GPS position it's "adjusting" to stay on the road is wrong and it then locks onto the nearest road (which is the one I'm on) so all self corrects.

I've no idea if the "locked to roads" position is recorded in the track or it it's native GPS coordinates (never bothered to look).

Takes a particular set of circumstances to notice it (and might be Lezyne does something different).

Ian