Opinions on Continental Grand Prix 5000 Road Bike Tyres

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
sefe2022

Opinions on Continental Grand Prix 5000 Road Bike Tyres

Post by sefe2022 »

Hello everyone.

I just purchased and installed a pair of GP 5000 tyres and was reading reviews on bike24 , chain reaction and bike-discount, and it seems that there are different opinions on how good they really are.

I haven't got a chance to ride them yet (heavy rain in the last days here).

Does anyone else have this tyres, and if so for how long? What is your opinion about them? How about the puncture protection?

Thanks to all.
Bike Lover & Nature Explorer. Specialized & Cube Bikes fan!
keyboardmonkey

Re: Opinions on Continental Grand Prix 5000 Road Bike Tyres

Post by keyboardmonkey »

I have them (25mm) on my light bike’s jazzy wheelset. I meant to swap the wheels back to the stock wheelset, but I’ve left them on for perhaps 800-1000 miles. No issues. I was worried about negative reviews, but I couldn’t source the ones they replaced. They’re fine for me.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

They seem popular and effective. Not sure that they are intended as the first choice if you want the best wet weather and puncture performance though. Ie a winter tyre. Horse for courses.
You can't compare them to something that offers more grip or protection as there will be trade offs.
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

I ended up riding them as I wanted 32mm and not much came in that size as a performance tyre.

They are really good, - probably the best 32mm I’ve ridden - had them on my commmuter for a year now. Had one puncture - which was from kerb hopping.
fausto99

Post by fausto99 »

Fitted a pair to my old Pinarello Due with some latex inner tubes this year. Fantastic! Best ride feel ever. Better than tubs. Better than anything I've ridden since my school days in the 60s.
I don't ride that bike in the wet so can't comment on that.
sefe2022

Post by sefe2022 »

Thanks for the fast replies, and honestly I'm glad that everyone is happy with this tyres, as I was getting a little concerned after reading some negative reviews. I will post my thoughts as well, after I'll put some miles on them.

Keep on riding! :D
sefe2022

Post by sefe2022 »

As promised, I am back with a little update after using this tires for 2500km (~1550miles).
They roll nicely, and have a good puncture protection.
I think I got left about 2500km more left on these tires.
However, the rear tire has some small cuts of 2-3mm, one even bigger(patch it from the inside, hope it lasts).
Can't blame the tires though, our roadside it's dirty and has all kind of debris. :D
Overall, good tires!
Joni_H

Post by Joni_H »

I was a skeptic before using them, didn't see the hype, now both my bikes have the haha! Rate them, even in wintertime too! :)
SimonCelsa

Post by SimonCelsa »

I'm normally quite frugal and very rarely purchase anything purporting to be 'top of the range'. However, in a fit of mania I bought a pair of GP5000's a while back and reckon you can actual 'feel' the plushness of the ride. I have the 28mm version on a bike I use solely for mid range rides in the region of 50 miles or so. Very good, 2000 miles on them so far, a few little nicks but nothing excessive and they still look quite new. No punctures yet. I wouldn't use them for commuting on busy urban roads as they do feel a bit fragile, but this may be just because I read that somewhere!
gxaustin

Post by gxaustin »

I've been using GP 5000 TLs tubeless. They have been very good and lasted 3,800 and 4,000 miles on the rear. The front is on about 10,000 and nearly worn out. I had one puncture which needed a few pump ups to get home - but get home I did. They were tough to get on the rims but I can't fault the performance.
hamster

Post by hamster »

I run 28mm. Very fast and supple. However my local geology is flints and I don't expect them to last more than 1000-2000 miles before a fatal cut. One was a write-off after 200 miles.

Lovely tyres, but summer-only round here!
hondated

Post by hondated »

hamster wrote: 7 Nov 2022, 10:23am I run 28mm. Very fast and supple. However my local geology is flints and I don't expect them to last more than 1000-2000 miles before a fatal cut. One was a write-off after 200 miles.

Lovely tyres, but summer-only round here!
Spot on as mine squared off at 2000miles. Great tyre for Summer though.