Removing a chain quick-link without tools

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
gregoryoftours

Re: Removing a chain quick-link without tools

Post by gregoryoftours »

DaveReading wrote: 27 Jun 2022, 8:07pm Quicklink removal.jpg

A handy rock can be substituted for the mole grips.
Yes, an impact done in the right way will work without fail while squeezing can be hit or miss. No tools needed apart from a decent sized stone.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

gregoryoftours wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 10:00pm

Yes, an impact done in the right way will work without fail while squeezing can be hit or miss. No tools needed apart from a decent sized stone.
Some time since I've done one (so memory might be faulty) but I remember you only tap one side (one side plate) so as they slide open, the other will project towards the hitting object. Thus stone needs to have enough of an edge to hit only one side plat.

Or have I completely forgotten what I did last time?

Ian
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Psamathe wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 10:43pm
gregoryoftours wrote: 30 Jun 2022, 10:00pm

Some time since I've done one (so memory might be faulty) but I remember you only tap one side (one side plate) so as they slide open, the other will project towards the hitting object. Thus stone needs to have enough of an edge to hit only one side plat.

Or have I completely forgotten what I did last time?

Ian
You are correct. Specifically, you need to hit one of the side plates at the opposite end from the slot.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Are some chains different, because with my 9 speed SRAM chains I never need more than a minute or so with my bare hands to wiggle the quick link apart. Naturally, I unship the chain from the chainrings first to take the tension off. I press the two ends towards each other while wiggling it slightly and it soon goes. Are some brands / speeds more difficult?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've never needed a tool for my KMC Missing Links on Campag 10sp chains.
They can be difficult when brand new, but wiggling it bare fingers does it every time.

I once tried snipe-nosed pliers, but it was more trouble than it was worth.
Mick F. Cornwall
wirral_cyclist

Post by wirral_cyclist »

I can do everything up to 10spd easily ,11spd first time is nigh impossible without pliers/rock, subsequent use 50:50 if fingers work.
coopern

Post by coopern »

The instructions with my z7 kmc chain indicated the link can be removed by hand fingers without tools, although it's not particularly clear how it's done.
gregoryoftours

Post by gregoryoftours »

pwa wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 8:31am Are some chains different, because with my 9 speed SRAM chains I never need more than a minute or so with my bare hands to wiggle the quick link apart. Naturally, I unship the chain from the chainrings first to take the tension off. I press the two ends towards each other while wiggling it slightly and it soon goes. Are some brands / speeds more difficult?
Yes some are different, the supposedly non reusable ones are harder and links that are dirty or corroded can be awkward. Most of the time the wiggle method works for me though.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

coopern wrote: 8 Jul 2022, 5:47pmThe instructions with my z7 kmc chain indicated the link can be removed by hand fingers without tools, although it's not particularly clear how it's done.
If all else fails, move the links relative to each other in the opposite direction to the way you moved them when you fitted them.
bainbridge

Post by bainbridge »

pwa wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 8:31am Are some chains different, because with my 9 speed SRAM chains I never need more than a minute or so with my bare hands to wiggle the quick link apart. Naturally, I unship the chain from the chainrings first to take the tension off. I press the two ends towards each other while wiggling it slightly and it soon goes. Are some brands / speeds more difficult?
This is exactly what I did on the one occasion that I needed to remove the chain and it yielded after some firm sideways flexing.