…of a good water bottle with a pull-up top that doesn’t leak

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
PT1029

Re: …of a good water bottle with a pull-up top that doesn’t leak

Post by PT1029 »

I have various bottles, I seem to manage to keep them for years (I recall someone on this forum saying they "had" to replace their bottles every few months).
The 2 things I consider are: -
Size of the opening at the top (big enough to get a cleaning brush through?)
Diameter of the lower part of the bottle. Some bottles taper more than others, generally the tapering ones rattle (may be quietly) in the cage, so wearing the cage gradually, and making grey marks on the bottle.
I forget what botles I buy, I don't replace them very often (see comment above) and seem to find them to make purchases extreamly rare events.
cyclop

Post by cyclop »

On my "big trip" around Europe/Scandinavia in 1972,I used a glass bottle with a ceramic stopper with wire clip !!!!.Almost exclusively filled with milk every day.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Cheap ones and expensive ones. I don't hink I have ever had a "normal" cycling type drinks bottle leak. The Camelback ones with a twisting top are bomb proof if thats what you need. I have stood on mine with no leak.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

I've had French made Zefal for years they're excellent bottles and although not cheap I think they manufacture 3rd party for decathlon now.
PJ520

Post by PJ520 »

I've had a stainless Bivo bottle for about a year and like it. Don't know if they are available in the UK. My only grouse is that you have to tighten the top quite gently otherwise it can get very hard to undo,
You only live once, which is enough if you do it right. - Mae West
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

iandusud wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 10:45am
robert17 wrote: 26 Feb 2022, 6:59am Elite, never had a problem with these. Also now biodegradable version available at end of its life. I've one of these too and great also.
As above. I've only used Elite for several years now as they do not leak, have good nozzle and are well made.
On the back of this I've just bought two of the Muc-Off Elite Fly 550mL water bottles. Looking forward to being able to carry some water on my bike!
LancsGirl

Post by LancsGirl »

freiston wrote: 27 Feb 2022, 2:21am I gave up on such water bottles. I never did find one that truly didn't leak. As well as sticky drinks dribbling out on bumpy roads and going all over the frame, the bit you put in your mouth can get mucky with muck off the roads.

I realise it's not what you asked for but I use the Ion8 leak-free bottles (I have a 750ml and a 1 ltr bottle). They have a lid that locks shut and can be opened single-handed (and can be closed without too much difficulty too), they are very strong rigid bottles so you can't squeeze or suck on them but they do have an air hole above the nozzle - so you can swig as easily as pouring it into your mouth (but without getting it all over - it all goes in the mouth). They don't have the indent around them that a lot of cages use for extra purchase and I had to change my cages (to Zefal Pulse Full Aluminium Bottle Cages) to get them to fit.

If you are interested, here's what they look like (this is the 1 litre bottle):
ion8_2.JPG
These look interesting to me. I use a standard SIS pull up spouty thing. But I never use the pull up spouty thing because:

1. I hate the sucking-on-a-teat thing. It might be due to some deep seated psychological problem, no doubt Freud would have something to say. But it feels all wrong to me. I really really really hate it.

2. Also I don't like pulling things out with my teeth.

3. Also I don't like the fact the top may have stuff from the road on it. I don't do much off road cycling, but even so, if I'm going to put something in my mouth I'd like to know it's clean (phnar, phnar).

I just unscrew the whole top and glug. But it needs two hands.

So these Ion8 bottles look interesting. As they sort of get rid of 1, definitely get rid of 2 (yes?) and have a cover, so get rid of 3.

But it seems they're a bit oversized, at 78mm diameter. Some people in Amazon reviews have said as much. Some people have also said they leak.

Do you know if yours is 78mm? Is it a tight fit in the cage you mention? Does it leak at all?

Thanks.
freiston

Post by freiston »

Hi LancsGirl,
my bottles don't leak at all (even when dropped going downhill at >20mph on a pot-holed single track lane - this is when I learnt that my old cages were not up to the job) . In the Zefal cages, they are firmly held but not too tight to remove and put back without ado. They can be operated one-handed but not effortlessly. I've tried it and can do it (using the chin to close the spring loaded lid helps) but I've never properly developed the knack, on account of being the type that likes to stop and have a drink and so not getting the practice in.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
PAB855

Post by PAB855 »

Halfords, grey transparent, black top, red valve, cost very little, very reliable.
freiston

Post by freiston »

LancsGirl wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 11:13pm . . . Do you know if yours is 78mm? . . .

Thanks.
Hi LancsGirl, I just realised that I hadn't answered your question - I measured mine at 77mm (I've just found the piece of paper that I wrote it on) but I haven't got calipers just a bog standard ruler - so there might be a margin of error.
Disclaimer: Treat what I say with caution and if possible, wait for someone with more knowledge and experience to contribute. ;)
drossall

Post by drossall »

My Camelbak Podium was an emergency buy when I found I'd set out on an Audax event with no bottle. But it quickly became my favourite.

I'm afraid I use bottles for decades. But I only ever put plain water in them, and I fill them with warm water and drop in a Milton tablet from time to time.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

drossall wrote: 29 Jul 2022, 11:00pm

I'm afraid I use bottles for decades. But I only ever put plain water in them, and I fill them with warm water and drop in a Milton tablet from time to time.
No shame in that - I'd only ever throw a bottle away if it broke - same as a cup.
I do know there are some anal types who renew their bottles every year - tho such folks probably call them bidons.
Sweep