Why Don't They Repeat ... ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Why Don't They Repeat ... ?

Post by Mick F »

Generation Game.
My father and my sister were on it in Dec 1973 and won.
Stills from the DVD of the show.

aOne.jpg
Brucie 1973.jpg
uTwentyone.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

al_yrpal wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 5:19pm Yes, Radio 4 extra I sometimes listen to and find gems I missed first time around. BBC 4 also.
I liked Upstart Crow, very droll... hope they repeat it.

Al
The ladywife has that on a CD. She listens to it on headphones whilst doing stuff and chortling the while, which is quite alarming for me, not hearing the various audible antics.

Cugel, missing "'Round the Horne".
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
AlanD

Post by AlanD »

For humour, my tastes leaned towards Monty Python and Hitchikers Guide. But when it came to serious tv watching, I did enjoy Survivors (original and remake), X Files and does anyone remember ‘Paperchase’ in ‘78 - ‘79? However, I do realise that these programs belong to their time. I also remember a good childrens drama series when I was at school in the 60’s, I think it was called ‘Timeslip’. It was about a couple of children who discovered this gateway into the past or future.
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Scrolling through channels l saw that 'Enemy at the Door' and 'Secret Army' both of late 70s early 80s vintage have been shown on one of 'higher number' Freeview TV channels recently. Enjoyed both as a child.

The better stuff tends to be repeated though 'Cheers' is on early mornings on C4 and the even better 'Frasier'. Minder is repeated though now pre-watershed they've cut every scene where Terry (Dennis Waterman) ended up in bed with the female interest whether she be a working-class stripper or a posh aristo....
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

al_yrpal wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 3:21pm
Mike Sales wrote: 16 Jun 2022, 2:52pm Til Death Do Us Part
Classic, pushed boundaries and explored the things under discussion here. But, never as bad as Rickys latest venture.
Al
I have a mother, brought up in South Africa, who still thinks that 'mixed' marriages are a form of bestiality and that all black Africans are sex obsessed and of very low intelligence.

Many 'old' programmes just serve to sustain her (and I'm sure other people's) similar prejudices, so I'm happy to see these disappear.
Jules59

Post by Jules59 »

They are currently repeating "The World at War" which is both poignant and very topical right now.
The narration by Sir Lawrence Olivier adds a huge amount of gravitas.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_World_at_War
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Jules59 wrote: 3 Jul 2022, 8:48am They are currently repeating "The World at War" which is both poignant and very topical right now.
The narration by Sir Lawrence Olivier adds a huge amount of gravitas.
It seems to have been repeated on the Yesterday channel 40 weeks out of 52 for the last few years. It is good though, and interesting to listen to actual protagonists who were not only still alive but not particularly elderly; including Adolf Galland and Arthur (Bomber) Harris.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

AlanD wrote: 2 Jul 2022, 7:22pmI also remember a good childrens drama series when I was at school in the 60’s, I think it was called ‘Timeslip’. It was about a couple of children who discovered this gateway into the past or future.
There's a great legacy website:
https://timeslip.org.uk

Jonathan
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Many TV series from the past are available for free on the Bay and on Youtube.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pwa

Post by pwa »

I have seen a couple of early Fred Dibnah documentaries recently, the ones where he is still just a steeplejack demolishing redundant brick chimneys by chiselling away at the base and replacing brick with wooden props which are later burned away in a bonfire until the chimney falls exactly where intended, in theory. The programmes actually stand up quite well, still being funny. He was as mad as a box of frogs, and full of little prejudices, but very much part of "Life's rich tapestry".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L1WOnR2KBY
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

pwa wrote: 3 Jul 2022, 8:02pm I have seen a couple of early Fred Dibnah documentaries recently, the ones where he is still just a steeplejack demolishing redundant brick chimneys by chiselling away at the base and replacing brick with wooden props which are later burned away in a bonfire until the chimney falls exactly where intended, in theory. The programmes actually stand up quite well, still being funny. He was as mad as a box of frogs, and full of little prejudices, but very much part of "Life's rich tapestry".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L1WOnR2KBY
I've just been watching this pair showing how he puts the ladders up. It's a laborious job, and quite disconcerting how little of the dogs is actually in the brick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F04dGK1_wYA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-a27xwcLfU
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
rjb

Post by rjb »

Flicking through the channels waiting for SWMBO to clear the bathroom before bed I came across Boys from the Black stuff on BBC 4. I downloaded Yoser Hugh's storey. It had lots of hilarity in it but with a bleak outlook for the underprivileged in a dysfunctional society. We could well be heading for a similar outcome this winter. :( :( :(
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b ... sers-story
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D