Another saddle problem; Bursitis?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
bikepacker

Re: Another saddle problem; Bursitis?

Post by bikepacker »

Good to know it may be helping you.

I looked at both Medium and Large in Halfords but the foam seemed to be a little too soft for helping with my problem. I may give one a try though.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
531colin

Post by 531colin »

SMP TRK medium seems to be OK, although I'm nowhere near my "usual" sort of mileage, for various reasons.
However, the saddles as delivered are topped with some sort of plastic which is "sticky" so my shorts stick to the saddle and movement occurs between my legs and my shorts....therefore friction, therefore soreness.
I can't think why you would make saddles sticky? The test saddle wasn't!
I have covered 2 with leather, and they ride well.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Sticky? mmmm I’m off to the bike shed later :D
I say this because I’ve used SMP the last 4 years including an E2E. Last year I bought a new to me Van Nic Yukon and bought it a very little used, almost new, SMP Hybrid saddle just the same as the others. ( I’d found the TRK too wide). Bigger rides 25ml + I began getting a soreness inner top of the thigh.
I put it down to the depth of the saddle, compared to looking at others in my collection, and also the width at that point. 70 mm at that point compared to 60mm on my other makes. I’ve put an old leather topped Koobi on the VN now and soreness went immediately.
I’d never considered it might be the actual top on the SMP saddle but it’s certainly possible as it is definitely not a strength of the saddle. I’ve found heavily used ones start deteriorating around the central channel and I’m certainly not running to the cost of their leather topped.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
531colin

Post by 531colin »

"Sticky" may not be the best description......perhaps "grippy" would be better.
....certainly very different from the leather saddles (mainly Brooks) I've ridden for most of a lifetime.
.....and the "test saddle" from Dillglove was different.....not "grippy" but smooth shiny plastic.

I bought some 2mm leather off E bay, soaked it so it stretched to fit the saddle and when dry glued it on with Evo-stik.
Next time I'll try thinner leather, should be easier to stretch to fit.

I didn't know they made leather topped ones as a choice?
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

531colin wrote: 29 Apr 2022, 7:05pm
Greystoke wrote: 26 Apr 2022, 4:36pm I had numbnuts, tried many saddles selle SMP trek fixed it. Trek model suited my riding position.
Not sure if my issue is similar but I hope you find a solution
Just got an SMP TRK saddle "tester" from Dillglove.
Doing OK so far; I found it a bit odd to set up, I am aware of the 2 separate sides where the nose of my Brooks used to be. **
Setting the nose 5mm down relative to the back of the saddle is better, and next I'm trying it set a bit further forward.
i guess I'm trying to sit on the back of the saddle.

**I was never that aware of the Brooks nose, but thats the bit which has done me, after many years riding the things!
What's brooks nose btw?!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

531colin wrote: 27 Aug 2022, 1:39pm "Sticky" may not be the best description......perhaps "grippy" would be better.
....certainly very different from the leather saddles (mainly Brooks) I've ridden for most of a lifetime.
.....and the "test saddle" from Dillglove was different.....not "grippy" but smooth shiny plastic.

I bought some 2mm leather off E bay, soaked it so it stretched to fit the saddle and when dry glued it on with Evo-stik.
Next time I'll try thinner leather, should be easier to stretch to fit.

I didn't know they made leather topped ones as a choice?
Sounds like a good idea I hope it works.
The more expensive saddles have a leather option. Pro and Glider spring to mind.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
avalongo

Post by avalongo »

Hi everyone,I'm from Portugal.Sorry for any errors on my writing
I've been heaving a similar problem for 5 years now.After many exams,seeing some Doctors,doing Phfisical Theraphy for several times in diferent places,the diagnosis was not conclusive.but I think my problem is Ishial Bursitis,since when cycling after a while starts to hurt.Tried some diferent saddles :Specialized Power Comp(the one that caused the problem),Specialized Phenom comp,SMP Extra,Selle italia S3,Bontrager Aeolus comp.No success.After reading some Fórums on this maner,including this one,I decidet to try Brooks B17 Imperial Narrow.Just tried 10 Km yesterday,the problem is still there,but not that so painful.I'm thinking to give a try on putting some band around the middle of the saddle,so hat my legs go a little up on the saddle to relief that bursa on the seat bone.Has anybody tried that?Best regard to all,Thank in advance.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

If you have an Ischial Bursitis problem, you will not be able to sit on a hard leather saddle. I have suffered with this for over 12 years and have never found a really comfortable saddle. At the present time I am riding a Selle Italia Man Gel Flow (the older model still available from Bikesters) and is one I get some degree of comfort. The only one to totally cure the problem is the Infinity, I tried one, it did ease the soreness, but I couldn't get on with it. In my collection of saddles I have two Brooks set up on seatposts and occasionally I will do a ride with one in the hope that the problem has gone. Never had such luck but I hope you find your saddle.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

In all seriousness, if it comes to a choice of pain and not riding, I can wholeheartedly recommend a touring recumbent,
Image254351900_4857060280995314_1730347258099699494_n by mark tilley, on Flickr