Reuse of Plastic Containers

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Reuse of Plastic Containers

Post by Mick F »

I was in the workshop yesterday to find a small file for a little job.
I picked up my plastic box, and looked at the label on it.

One, I have no idea of the year, and two, it's a good use for plastic rather than recycling it.
Mabe the lid went to be recycled.
BBD.jpeg
IMG_1304.jpg
IMG_1305.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Re: Reuse of Plastic Containers

Post by al_yrpal »

We have a Chinese takeaway once a month and reuse all the plastic containers. ie cook a meal and split it putting half in the freezer. Great for my odd twist drills, odd screws and nails sorted by size etc. Aluminium ones go in the recycling.

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 17 Jun 2022, 5:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I find the plastic tray containers far too flimsy to put stuff in.
My favourite storage containers are the metal tins left over from Christmas chocolates, when even the strawberry creams have been eaten.
Small stuff goes into Golden Virginia tobacco tins. These I had from my Dad, and he died in 1960. I'm sure someone collects them and they have a value.

Apart from people, old things seem to gain value.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 5:02pm I find the plastic tray containers far too flimsy to put stuff in.
Yes. And those thin plastic food containers can degrade rapidly, especially if exposed to light.

Jonathan
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Round big chocolate plastic containers are good for food. Helps keep pesky mice away.
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

Jdsk wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 6:15pm
francovendee wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 5:02pm I find the plastic tray containers far too flimsy to put stuff in.
Yes. And those thin plastic food containers can degrade rapidly, especially if exposed to light.

Jonathan
Agree.

We do have a number of four litre ice cream containers that are probably more that thirty years old and they are of substantial construction not like the single trip jobbies that are now used.

Mike
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I have a lot of foodstuffs in screw-top plastic tubs that Tesco used to sell salted peanuts in back in the 1980s.
Workshop bits are in tobacco tins that my father used to collect off someone he worked with.
Herbs & spices are in fish paste jars because they're airtight, and spice jars aren't.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Plastic food trays are excellent for growing seeds. Then prick them out into pots

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Most of us are painting sheds and fences.The plastic containers cannot be recycled.Doing a google it suggests just putting the plastic containers as normal household waste.Is this out of date advice? ps Beware cheap paint fences they only last a couple of years.The more expensive can last longer so just as cheap over time.
I ride Brompton and a 100% British Vintage
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

briansnail wrote: 3 Jul 2022, 8:01pm Most of us are painting sheds and fences.The plastic containers cannot be recycled.Doing a google it suggests just putting the plastic containers as normal household waste.Is this out of date advice?
I'd be surprised if none of the containers can be recycled.

But unfortunately what should be put where varies across the UK and it's often necessary to check with the local authority.

Jonathan
peetee

Post by peetee »

Me.
BD7E647F-83D5-4BED-A0D1-134D3E7AC339.jpeg
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I was just mulling over what I might be able to repurpose these for, when I came across this topic. They have press / close strips at top and am wondering if they might work as shaking cleaners for chains. They are quite tough.
picture of pouches
picture of pouches
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
peetee

Post by peetee »

simonineaston wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 1:15pm I was just mulling over what I might be able to repurpose these for, when I came across this topic. They have press / close strips at top and am wondering if they might work as shaking cleaners for chains. They are quite tough.IMG_0560.JPG
Worth a try. You might want to put a rag or bag over the top just in case they ‘let go’ mid-shake. :shock:
Incidentally, it’s worth mentioning that the tubs in my photo above are Tesco Cornish ice cream containers accumulated over many years (honestly :oops: ). The lids hold down really well and as such make good ‘agitate-able’ cleaning tubs too.
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.