Cargo bike deliveries

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Jdsk

Re: Cargo bike deliveries

Post by Jdsk »

"Amazon: e-cargo bikes to replace thousands of van deliveries in London":
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ies-london

That's an eav:
https://eav.solutions/configurator/

Jonathan
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

A good move (but Amazon are still evil!).

EAV appears to be a brand name?
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

I think there are a few companies using those (Waitrose as well?).

I assume they’ve a greater carrying capacity than a box bike.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I'd suspect they make financial sense for companies in densely populated areas (delivery wise). Cheaper to purchase than a van, cheaper to maintain, lower running costs. Slower between deliveries but saved time not having to search for parking and walk some distance back.

I don't know how full the transit sized vans are filled with parcels on departing the depot so that might mean a few extra return to depot to pick up more packages (but loads of savings to offset that).

I've no experience of e-Bikes but will a 250w motor with a load of parcels place requirements on the delivery person fitness/health (that are not an issue with ICE vans)?

Ian
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

PedalMe seem to manage to move improbable loads with a 250W motor.
Bmblbzzz

Post by Bmblbzzz »

Psamathe wrote: 4 Jul 2022, 12:50pm I'd suspect they make financial sense for companies in densely populated areas (delivery wise). Cheaper to purchase than a van, cheaper to maintain, lower running costs. Slower between deliveries but saved time not having to search for parking and walk some distance back.

I don't know how full the transit sized vans are filled with parcels on departing the depot so that might mean a few extra return to depot to pick up more packages (but loads of savings to offset that).

I've no experience of e-Bikes but will a 250w motor with a load of parcels place requirements on the delivery person fitness/health (that are not an issue with ICE vans)?

Ian
I wonder if the four-wheel ones like in the photo from EAV have 250W motors? I seem to remember reading that they're allowed up to 400W.
st599_uk

Post by st599_uk »

Psamathe wrote: 4 Jul 2022, 12:50pm I don't know how full the transit sized vans are filled with parcels on departing the depot so that might mean a few extra return to depot to pick up more packages (but loads of savings to offset that).
Depends - in Central London, Uber and DHL are using catamarans as floating depots. They are filled out in the suburbs at their waterfront warehouses and travel along meeting the cargo bikes at piers in the city.
A novice learning...
“the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.”
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Bmblbzzz wrote: 4 Jul 2022, 2:43pm
Psamathe wrote: 4 Jul 2022, 12:50pm I'd suspect they make financial sense for companies in densely populated areas (delivery wise). Cheaper to purchase than a van, cheaper to maintain, lower running costs. Slower between deliveries but saved time not having to search for parking and walk some distance back.

Ian
I wonder if the four-wheel ones like in the photo from EAV have 250W motors? I seem to remember reading that they're allowed up to 400W.
I got the 250w from https://eav.solutions/configurator/. No option available to have anything more powerful. That said I'm sure if Amazon said " ... but ..." one would quickly be "available".

Ian
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

One thing I've just seen that I'm not so keen on is "Bike lane accessible". My main concern about "bike lane accessible" is that will likely mean they'll be stopping in bike lanes whilst the packages are delivered (at least probably in practice).

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Amazon: as above eav
DHL: also eav
UPS: Fernhay eQuad
USPS: Coaster Cycles

https://electrek.co/2022/04/04/take-a-l ... ike-motor/
https://electrek.co/2022/07/04/amazon-t ... eliveries/

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

"Cargo bike sales soar as UK petrol prices surge":
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ices-surge

Jonathan
jimster99

Electric cargo vans in London posing as bicycles...?

Post by jimster99 »

Hi all,

I've noticed a trend recently of delivery companies (e.g. FedEx) using what look to me like 4 wheel electric delivery vans in London, with a front covered compartment for the driver to sit, without numberplates, in cycle lanes. Most are driven well but I've seen a couple barrelling down narrow paths so I predict it could be an issue over time if such "bicycles" become ubiqutous.

I had a friendly chat with one at a traffic light recently and he confirmed my suspicion that they are legally bicycles because they have a nominal ability to be pedalled (although the pedals seem lightly used...) avoiding any need for a driving licence, numberplates, road tax etc.

I admire the regulatory ingenuity but I'm curious as to how the delivery companies are circling the square on this one and making what I would consider obviously electric vans legally a bicycle? Has the law changed or have they just had some good lawyers carefully working their way through the regulations and finding various loopholes?
61ea8bbca9f5c824b076c9f5_1642675538244.jpeg
PH

Re: Electric cargo vans in London posing as bicycles...?

Post by PH »

Well they're obviously not bicycles are they, you only need to count the wheels.
There's no loopholes, they either conform with the cycle regulations or they don't. I think hey're great, the more vans they replace the better.
Grandad

Post by Grandad »

Are they subject to the e-bike 15 mph limit using the motor?
PH

Post by PH »

Grandad wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 10:27am Are they subject to the e-bike 15 mph limit using the motor?
Yes.