Ebay fees / charges BEWARE

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
RecumbentRide

Ebay fees / charges BEWARE

Post by RecumbentRide »

Yes I know I should have checked before listing my bicycle and I feel a right idiot for not having done so. Lesson learnt.

I sold a bike for £950 and was charged £121.90 which includes VAT (£101.58 goes to eBay).

So the money goes to your eBay account not Paypal:
  • It typically takes 1 day from confirming the buyer’s payment for the sales proceeds to appear as Available for payout.
  • It typically takes 2 days from confirming the buyer’s payment to initiate your payout if your payouts are scheduled daily.
  • Your payouts will appear as Funds sent and it typically takes another 0-4 business days for the funds to clear in your bank account and become available to you.
So this is a word of warning to those who like me think these charges are extortionate. I won't be making that mistake again.
leftpoole

Re: Ebay fees / charges BEWARE

Post by leftpoole »

You need to update your Account. Set payment for either same day or next day. Not so many people use Paypal and actually pay by Debit or Credit card.
The fees for selling are proportionate to sale price.
Massive audience. I wish my bikes would sell!
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

eBay is expensive but it has an effective monopoly. The main auction competitor in the UK, eBid, isn't even a minnow by comparison - more an amoeba.

You are likely to get a higher net price on eBay despite the higher fees.

I remember a time when s/h stuff was just thrown away or, if there was an established used market for it, like photography gear, had to be sold to a dealer for peanuts.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

RecumbentRide wrote: 4 Jul 2022, 5:53pm Yes I know I should have checked before listing my bicycle and I feel a right idiot for not having done so. Lesson learnt..[/list]

So this is a word of warning to those who like me think these charges are extortionate. I won't be making that mistake again.
Changed over a year ago :D viewtopic.php?t=145516
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
chris_suffolk

Post by chris_suffolk »

Depending if you are in a hurry to sell or not (I rarely am) then use FB market-place, Gumtree and Preloved. Never failed to sell an item yet,
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Update your settings in your ebay account - I get paid into my bank account within a day.

Also, it's worth waiting on expensive items for special offers where you can get 70% or 80% off selling fees. Sometimes you need to be a reasonably active user to be "granted access" to these offers so it's worth keeping a few small ticket items trickling through and keep checking your messages within the app - they don't flag up as notifications (unlike notifications to say you have a message from a buyer for example) so you have to check for them and then accept the offer. It then gives you a short window in which to list the item and be eligible for the reduced fees.

If you're not in a hurry to sell, it's handy to have the big ticket items waiting for the reduced fees offers.
Also ebay cuts out all the hassle of FB marketplace where you're forever dealing with idiots and timewasters asking "iz it still available, will swap for Xbox" or "will you tak £50?"
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

rogerzilla wrote: 4 Jul 2022, 6:05pm eBay is expensive but it has an effective monopoly. The main auction competitor in the UK, eBid, isn't even a minnow by comparison - more an amoeba.

I remember a time when s/h stuff was just thrown away or, if there was an established used market for it, like photography gear, had to be sold to a dealer for peanuts.
Gumtree...wait that's owned by eBay!

Friday ads anyone remember them!

Exchange and mart?!!
rogerzilla

Post by rogerzilla »

Not auctions, though.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Jamesh wrote: 4 Jul 2022, 8:30pmGumtree...wait that's owned by eBay!
Oslo, 1 December 2021 - Adevinta ASA announces that it has completed the sale of Gumtree UK and Motors.co.uk to a consortium consisting of O3 Industries (“O3”), a New York-based family investment fund, and Novum Capital, a private equity firm based out of Frankfurt. The sale is part of a previous agreement with the UK’s Competition and Market Authority (CMA) for approval of Adevinta’s acquisition of eBay Classifieds Group (“eCG”).
https://www.adevinta.com/stories/articl ... um-capital

Jonathan
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Thanks for the update!

I wasn't really being serious!
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I hadn't known that it had ever been!

: - )

Jonathan
RecumbentRide

Post by RecumbentRide »

Next time I'll plan ahead and sell on here or a similar bicycle site, whilst it will be a waiting game I'll be happy to not add to the Ebay shareholders profits.
toontra

Post by toontra »

I always wait for the 80% off or £1 max selling fee before listing anything in ebay. They come along every 4 weeks or so. There was one just last weekend.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

rareposter wrote: 4 Jul 2022, 7:06pm
Also, it's worth waiting on expensive items for special offers where you can get 70% or 80% off selling fees. Sometimes you need to be a reasonably active user to be "granted access" to these offers so it's worth keeping a few small ticket items trickling through and keep checking your messages within the app - they don't flag up as notifications (unlike notifications to say you have a message from a buyer for example) so you have to check for them and then accept the offer. It then gives you a short window in which to list the item and be eligible for the reduced fees.
Sorry if you already know this but ebay special offers only apply if the item is sold in the first sale period. If it is re-listed by ebay after the original time period, you will be charged the full 13% sale fee.

I know someone who got caught out by this clause in ebay's agreement and ended up losing money on a sale.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Benz3ne

Post by Benz3ne »

rogerzilla wrote: 4 Jul 2022, 6:05pm eBay is expensive but it has an effective monopoly. The main auction competitor in the UK, eBid, isn't even a minnow by comparison - more an amoeba.

I wish I was into photography at such a time to have made the most of this.