Bristol to Plymouth on the train with a bike

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
rivers

Bristol to Plymouth on the train with a bike

Post by rivers »

I'm cycling Dartmoor and Exmoor next month. I booked my train from Bristol to Plymouthages ago, but I haven't been able to book a bike space. It's the 05:40 service from Temple Meads. Does anyone know if you can actually book a space on this service (as you can't even book a seat)? Gwr haven't been particularly helpful in this regard.
Thanks
mjr

Re: Bristol to Plymouth on the train with a bike

Post by mjr »

rivers wrote: 5 Jul 2022, 1:30pm I'm cycling Dartmoor and Exmoor next month. I booked my train from Bristol to Plymouthages ago, but I haven't been able to book a bike space. It's the 05:40 service from Temple Meads. Does anyone know if you can actually book a space on this service (as you can't even book a seat)? Gwr haven't been particularly helpful in this regard.
Thanks
It's timetabled to be one of the "Castle" shortened intercity125 sets. They have dedicated bike spaces in coach A and seem unbookable. Ask platform or train crew to open the bike store.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
rjb

Post by rjb »

For anyone else considering this the other option is to use the Falcon Flyer operated by stagecoach. Ive seen them collect a bike at Bristol airport and just carefully slide it into the luggage hold. Runs an hourly service during the day and 2 hourly overnight. Ive never needed to book, just turn up pay and get on. BTW I didnt have a bike with me only hand luggage. Bristol to Plymouth takes 3.5 hours

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-an ... est-falcon

extract from the FAQ's

"Can I take my bicycle/surfboard/golf clubs?

Subject to available space in our hold, we can carry bicycles, surfboards and golf clubs. All items must be appropriately secured and are carried at the owner’s risk.

If we are able to carry these items on any journey, it does not mean that we will be able to carry it on your subsequent journeys."
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
RichardPH

Post by RichardPH »

I travelled from Exeter to Penzance with a bike two week ago. I had to book via the GWR website and had a ticket to attach to the bike. Just as well since space seemed limited to 2 bikes in coach B. without a booking it'll be very doubtful you'll find a space, mine was occupied by a uncollapsed pushchair when I boarded, had to move it. Bikes are hung from an overhead hook so you might need to remove any heavy stuff (I did), unless you're quite strong.
rivers

Post by rivers »

rjb wrote: 5 Jul 2022, 4:10pm For anyone else considering this the other option is to use the Falcon Flyer operated by stagecoach. Ive seen them collect a bike at Bristol airport and just carefully slide it into the luggage hold. Runs an hourly service during the day and 2 hourly overnight. Ive never needed to book, just turn up pay and get on. BTW I didnt have a bike with me only hand luggage. Bristol to Plymouth takes 3.5 hours

https://www.stagecoachbus.com/promos-an ... est-falcon

extract from the FAQ's

"Can I take my bicycle/surfboard/golf clubs?

Subject to available space in our hold, we can carry bicycles, surfboards and golf clubs. All items must be appropriately secured and are carried at the owner’s risk.

If we are able to carry these items on any journey, it does not mean that we will be able to carry it on your subsequent journeys."
Not an option for me as my bike will be loaded. I don't fancy carting a bike box through the wilds of Dartmoor and Exmoor
rivers

Post by rivers »

RichardPH wrote: 5 Jul 2022, 5:09pm I travelled from Exeter to Penzance with a bike two week ago. I had to book via the GWR website and had a ticket to attach to the bike. Just as well since space seemed limited to 2 bikes in coach B. without a booking it'll be very doubtful you'll find a space, mine was occupied by a uncollapsed pushchair when I boarded, had to move it. Bikes are hung from an overhead hook so you might need to remove any heavy stuff (I did), unless you're quite strong.
Well aware how the intercity express trains work. Commute every morning on one. Doesn't matter if you have a space booked. Found my booked space occupied when I got on for my commute home today
rjb

Post by rjb »

The guy who boarded at Bristol airport had a fully laden bike with panniers attached. No bike bag or box the driver just slid it in the hold being careful to avoid the chain rubbing the other baggage.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

RichardPH wrote: 5 Jul 2022, 5:09pm I travelled from Exeter to Penzance with a bike two week ago. I had to book via the GWR website and had a ticket to attach to the bike. Just as well since space seemed limited to 2 bikes in coach B. without a booking it'll be very doubtful you'll find a space, mine was occupied by a uncollapsed pushchair when I boarded, had to move it. Bikes are hung from an overhead hook so you might need to remove any heavy stuff (I did), unless you're quite strong.
It’s a different company unfortunately. Cross country run the route that goes from Penzance to Scotland and GWR do everything else I think including the Penzance to London service. The line splits just north of Taunton with the London line heading east and the Scotland route going via bristol. There used to be something like one GWR service a day going via bristol if I remember correctly. Now I’m wondering if this is the one GWR service based on the original post??

For the poster- that train will be really quiet but I have never caught it (although I use the Plymouth to Bristol service a lot) as I tend to travel a bit later in the day.

Have put my bike in luggage sections under buses a few times and it’s been ok- the uk cycling plastic bike bag from wiggle would work and fits on a loaded bike. Never tried this route though- I’d stick to the train.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've taken bikes Exeter to Plymouth and Taunton to Plymouth.
Never booked, and never had a problem.

Trouble is, you have to pick your trains.
Cross Country are terrible, but GWR are better these days. Local GWR trains hardly have a bike policy at all. Just wheel them on, and no issue.
Mick F. Cornwall