Charging E-bike France

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
Bonzo Banana

Re: Touring with an electric bike?

Post by Bonzo Banana »

I think in simple terms to tour with an ebike you just need a bigger battery something to give you enough power for a day of touring before then being charged over night. So you would go with lighter assistance but a bigger battery.

You don't need to spend a fortune to get a very long range.

https://yosepower.com/collections/e-bik ... nd-charger

That gives up to 180km range on eco.
PH

Post by PH »

Bonzo Banana wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 5:51am That gives up to 180km range on eco.
With an all up weight of 70kg and very minimal assistance.
In reality, meaningful assistance for an average weight adult and touring bike and kit, half of that is probably optimistic. On my delivery bike, 110 - 130kg all up weight, with a Bosch 500wh battery, and mixed urban riding, 60km with a mix of Eco and Tour assistance (Level 1 & 2) is about the limit, with the last 15km of that at a noticeably lower level of assistance.

I think MarcusT makes a good point about the charger, the Bosch Fast Charger recharges a 500wh battery to 50% in about an hour, which is half the time of the standard version. The downside is the weight and bulk, the compact charger is even slower than the other two, but the one that would be easier to carry.

For the purpose of touring, the big decision is how much assistance and for how much of the time. The better systems for constant assistance might have the downside of increased resistance when riding without, either as a preference or when riding over the cut off speed. If I was looking for assistance up the hills, but happy to be without the majority of the time, I'd probably consider a front wheel conversion. If I was looking for something in use most of the time, the choice would be mid motor.
horizon

Re: E-Bike touring

Post by horizon »

I think it would be helpful for the purposes of this thread to split off the issues of usage (i.e. how far the bike will get you) and overnight charging. I know there are specific issues with camping but the nub of the issue is, will the bike/battery have got you to the campsite.

I'm still looking at e-assist (see other thread) but I keep coming back to the fact that when you really need help (heavy load, steep hills, high mileages in combination), you are probably pushing at the limits of the battery. It's quite noticable IMV that 1982john (upthread) still needed to ask his question - it isn't yet clear what the answer is. The impression I keep gettting (and it is only an impression) is that e-bikes work best when people need a bit of assistance, not when you are pushing the limits of what a bicycle is capable of.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Mike_Ayling

Post by Mike_Ayling »

MarcusT wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 5:24am On the mainland many people are touring with ebikes.
It does require planning and as mentioned above, a removable battery is much more convenient, and perhaps an extension cord.
You should look at the specs more. A 250 kw battery would weigh several thousand pounds
The motor most likely is 250 watts and the battery can be anywhere from 350 wh to 1,000 wh. You would want the most powerful charger permitted for the battery to cut down on charging times. These can be from 2-6 amp.
Most places especially campsites usually have no problem with charging, just be polite about it
Weigh several thousand pounds, - crikey!
borisface

Post by borisface »

The main issue I would see is that the battery would run out of charge before you reach you destination rather than not being able to charge. So some careful route planning would be required as battery range will be very different in say the Alps compared to the UK, especially if loaded. I'd also suggest booking your stay ahead of arrival as you don't want to find that they're fully booked forcing you onto the next place if your battery is low on charge.

To avoid an unpleasant surprise I'd err on the side of caution in terms of distance and use the lowest assist practicable.

Good luck!
PH

Post by PH »

horizon wrote: 14 Mar 2022, 11:09am I'm still looking at e-assist (see other thread) but I keep coming back to the fact that when you really need help (heavy load, steep hills, high mileages in combination), you are probably pushing at the limits of the battery. It's quite noticable IMV that 1982john (upthread) still needed to ask his question - it isn't yet clear what the answer is. The impression I keep gettting (and it is only an impression) is that e-bikes work best when people need a bit of assistance, not when you are pushing the limits of what a bicycle is capable of.
It's a pity that John hasn't been back to clarify just what he's hoping to achieve. But even most non assisted cycle tourers will choose between high mileage and hilly rides! I cut my mileage back as much as 50% if it's going to be a tough day, there's no reason I wouldn't also do that if I ever E-bike tour.
Leaving aside any charging questions, the issue for me would be the trade off between the advantage at the times I wanted it V's the hindrance when I didn't. The answer to that depends on what the rider is intending, but as with non assisted touring, capability has to be factored in at the start.
horizon

Post by horizon »

PH wrote: 16 Mar 2022, 10:34am But even most non assisted cycle tourers will choose between high mileage and hilly rides! I cut my mileage back as much as 50% if it's going to be a tough day, there's no reason I wouldn't also do that if I ever E-bike tour.
That's very true, though I suppose there might be some wishful thinking that an e-bike can square the circle.

If the e-bike cannot really cut it, it leaves a convenient get-out clause for those like me who don't really want to use e-assist: so I do wonder what I would feel and think if a newly invented battery gave us much greater range and power. Of course, no-one is saying you can't carry on unassisted but at least BITD you could reap all kinds of benefits by eshewing a car even if you got sweaty in the process. Nowadays (perhaps not quite yet) you might feel that you are making life unnecessarily difficult for yourself.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
PH

Post by PH »

horizon wrote: 16 Mar 2022, 11:31am If the e-bike cannot really cut it, it leaves a convenient get-out clause for those like me who don't really want to use e-assist:
I don't know why you need a get out, if you don't like the idea, which is obvious, just don't do it.
It's just as easy to come to negative conclusions as it is to come to positive and the truth as always is somewhere in between, who knows what you'd decide if you started with an open mind.
horizon

Post by horizon »

PH wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 7:19pm
horizon wrote: 16 Mar 2022, 11:31am If the e-bike cannot really cut it, it leaves a convenient get-out clause for those like me who don't really want to use e-assist:
I don't know why you need a get out, if you don't like the idea, which is obvious, just don't do it.
It's just as easy to come to negative conclusions as it is to come to positive and the truth as always is somewhere in between, who knows what you'd decide if you started with an open mind.
My sister has an e-bike. I was planning to try it out last summer when on a visit but it never happened. I'm going to try again this year. I'm actually really interested in e-bikes (who wouldn't be?) but I am also quite protective about what I like about an ordinary bike (mechanical simplicity etc). I also have no affinity for and no experience of electronics and electric motors. So yes, in that way, you are right, I don't have a receptive mind for e-bikes.

What I find frustrating is that when I sketch out some possibilities, they don't really come to anything - the e-bike just can't make the final stretch (usually on a cost-benefit basis). That's why I do read threads like this with interest to try to see how things stack up. I'm still looking at an e-bike solution for a loaded tour BTW.
jack1

Charging E-Bikes on Tour

Post by jack1 »

Hi,planning a trip May for 3/5weeks if weather allows I’m wondering whether to use my E-Bike. ??? The reason I’m sending this Post,I’m a bit concerned about “Re- Charging my battery’s.I will arrive in St-Malo on May 5th.I’m hoping to do a little camping/b/b /small Hotels etc.I wondering “Prices are in average Hotels,B/B etc. ??? Otherwise I shall take my “Surly Long-Haul-Trucker” and enjoy the trip. Nice food,Hopefully nice weather,and Nice Wine.😀🚴 ( Charging my E-Bike is a Concern) What do you think.????🤔
Jdsk

Re: Charging E-Bikes on Tour

Post by Jdsk »

I think that there's a lot of helpful advice in the thread that followed the previous time that you asked:
jack1 wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 12:56pm Hi,has anybody toured with E-bike. ? Any problem (Charging battery) ? Many Thanks.
viewtopic.php?p=1572882#p1572882

and the many other threads on the subject:
search.php?keywords=touring+ebike

Jonathan
TerryField

Charging an e bike while camping

Post by TerryField »

Each year 4 of us tour Europe, self supported and camping under canvas. I now need an e bike if I am to continue to tour, but cannot find out if I can charge it at a normal camp site electric hook up point (The type used by camper vans). Is that possible and if so, what connectors would I need and how heavy would they be?
Terry
I'm a trendy consumer. Just look at my iPad
Jdsk

Re: Charging an e bike while camping

Post by Jdsk »

Some thoughts and experiences in the eBIke touring thread:
[threads merged by moderator]

Jonathan
TerryField

Post by TerryField »

Thanks Jonathan, but I can’t find anything which relates directly to my question, namely can I buy electrical hardware to use on a hook up?
Relying on the goodwill of a campsite office or a bar is not what I want.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Google will give you loads of details about the physical connection. It's standard mains voltage - I've borrowed adaptors from a couple of sites and used my mains USB adaptor. They are fairly bulky things (but easy to get hold of in caravan dealers, etc).

Some campsites use an open "field area" for tents (cyclists) which has no hook-up so some places you may end-up paying significantly more for a campervan pitch (I've never done tat so guessing).

Ian