Campervans

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Nearholmer

Re: Campervans

Post by Nearholmer »

Insurance can get a bit complicated if you reconfigure a van / bus like that. What do you insure it as? A minibus with X number of seats? If so, are you then covered if you take some seats out and fill the vacant space with other kit that might or might not be secured in the event of a crash?
I think you may be over-thinking it. The “stuff” is no different from any other load. You wouldn’t suddenly re-insure if you took the seats out and loaded it with green waste to take to the recycling centre, or stacked boxes all over the seats to take one of the kids to uni. Minibuses are sold to be reconfigured and used like that, so the insurer knows what they are insuring.

Where it might get tricky is if you start putting windows on a panel van, which may change its “class”, although I’m not sure what current legislation says.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Nearholmer wrote: 5 Jul 2022, 10:36am
Insurance can get a bit complicated if you reconfigure a van / bus like that. What do you insure it as? A minibus with X number of seats? If so, are you then covered if you take some seats out and fill the vacant space with other kit that might or might not be secured in the event of a crash?
I think you may be over-thinking it. The “stuff” is no different from any other load. You wouldn’t suddenly re-insure if you took the seats out and loaded it with green waste to take to the recycling centre, or stacked boxes all over the seats to take one of the kids to uni. Minibuses are sold to be reconfigured and used like that, so the insurer knows what they are insuring.

Where it might get tricky is if you start putting windows on a panel van, which may change its “class”, although I’m not sure what current legislation says.
I took seats out of a minibus a work, many years ago admittedly, and was informed that using the newly created space at the rear to carry clobber potentially nullified the insurance. I suppose the issue is what happens to the clobber if you stop very quickly. I would look into it a bit more deeply if I were considering doing that today.

For one's own safety it is also worth being careful about things to do with "habitation", such as use of gas appliances. Professionally built campers and motorhomes have gas systems (for the fridge, cooker, space heater and water heater) which have several shut-off valves, and venting. You are supposed to have that stuff inspected and certified regularly. If you are putting it together yourself, which I am sure can be done safely, it just needs a bit of care.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

It all needs to be done with care and thought, as do most things. My bro’s ‘field kitchen’ comes out of the truck for use. Securing loads is an obvious thing.

Gas is interesting because very many of us go camping, taking a gas bottle and portable outdoor cooking thing with us. That isn’t an installation, it’s again a load, but the gas bottle is a load I’ve always been wary about, both because even a small one is ruddy heavy, let alone it’s flammability/explosive potential. I always load the gas bottle at the bottom of the camping stuff in the car, so that by the time the rest is in and secured the bottle is very well wedged under a load of soft things (sleeping bags, tent etc.), so less likely to suffer direct shock impacts.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Facebook groups are a good way to learn about Campers and its a favourite place to buy and sell them. Dealers dont seem to give much in the way of guarantees.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

A friend bought a low mileage Citroen Berlingo a couple of years ago and had a very modestly priced conversion done, which consisted of a bench bed, and a cabinet with a cooker / sink and containers for fresh and grey water. The vehicle has a side door, enough room to sleep one, plenty of room for tons of luggage and yet drives very much like a car. She's done copious miles in it and reports that it has been a huge success for her and she is very glad she bought it.
The neat little Panda 4X that preceded it, she refers to, without much affection, as the Fix It Again Tomorrow jobbie... :wink:
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I’m a caravaner but do look at Motorhomes and Campervans to ensure I’m not missing anything.
This guy can be quite entertaining https://www.youtube.com/c/TheMotorhomeMan worth watching to save you looking at everything.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

bitd, we did a lot of touring/camping/bivouacking, both in this country and in Europe as part of our obsession with rock climbing. I did think about repurposing a panel van, but went off the idea when sundry chums found they had trouble in that if you buy a vehicle intended for commercial use, you will end paying commercial rates of tax and insurance. This is based on the simple fact that it will have been registered as a commercial vehicle. It used to be possible to change the class it's registered under, but only if you can prove that it's no longer used commercially ie has had suitable modifications. Which kind-of takes you back to where you would have been if you'd bought a non-commercial vehicle in the first place!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

I have a VW California- pop up roof, you can sleep downstairs or upstairs. The rear seat turns into a bed. It has a fridge, 2 burner hob and a sink and tap. We have the VW bike rack that hangs on the rear door and takes up to 4 bikes. They aren’t cheap and there’s a years waiting list if you want a brand new one, but they hold their value really well. Ours is now worth more than we paid for it new. Insurance is no more than a large family car. I pay just over £300 fully comp, with max no claims bonus.

We’ve been away in ours 30 times in the 3 years we’ve had it. It’s and ideal base for fixed centre touring. We usually take our bikes with us and do day rides from a campsite. Campsite fees are £25-35 a night, depending on when and where you go. You can also use it as a day trip van. It fits in a normal parking space - just about. It’s 5 metres long.

I enclose a couple of photos from our recent Hebrides trip. One in driving mode (waiting for a ferry) and one in camping mode. It has a table stored in the sliding door and 2 chairs stored in the tailgate.
Attachments
9C3D002A-8D49-4A80-BB52-23C5A31F56D5.jpeg
3A908352-037E-49C5-A561-A03CCE0D77BF.jpeg
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
in4time

Post by in4time »

https://images.app.goo.gl/CCYUYm3vPh827XF56

I’ve really enjoyed driving these in AU and NZ. Good compromise camper. I’d have to think carefully how I could carry a bike conveniently.
Im not too bothered about an on-board loo for myself but my other half… 😊
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

We have a Thetford Portaloo. Fits under the back parcel shelf and fits between the bed and front seats at night time. Useful if you need to pee in the middle of the night!
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Jupestar

Post by Jupestar »

I used to have access to a converted VW for activity weekends . Windsurfing/MTBing etc.

Issue I had was when you wanted to put the bed down and use it, you invariable had to take every thing out, and leave it outside overnight. Or repack what you could around the bed securely. Then when you want to head out for a bit of fun, reverse the whole process. It became a bit of a faff. Secure Roof rack/bike rack would have helped I guess.

I ended up using it as a storage/living area which was handy, and sleeping in a small tent.

Never had a toilet, but a hob and sink. I used both and were handy, but felt they took up more space then really needed and a simple portable gas stove would have been fine.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

We frequently pass a car park by the coast and at weekends you'll see several transit size vans parked up. It's not until you see one with a door open you realise it's fully fitted out as a camper.

I believe camp sites can be 'picky' and wont allow non standard camper vans to stay.
pwa

Post by pwa »

Jupestar wrote: 5 Jul 2022, 10:27pm I used to have access to a converted VW for activity weekends . Windsurfing/MTBing etc.

Issue I had was when you wanted to put the bed down and use it, you invariable had to take every thing out, and leave it outside overnight. Or repack what you could around the bed securely. Then when you want to head out for a bit of fun, reverse the whole process. It became a bit of a faff. Secure Roof rack/bike rack would have helped I guess.

I ended up using it as a storage/living area which was handy, and sleeping in a small tent.

Never had a toilet, but a hob and sink. I used both and were handy, but felt they took up more space then really needed and a simple portable gas stove would have been fine.
It sounds like you needed some sort of awning arrangement. You can buy awnings (tents with an open side that can be closed when the van isn't there) that will stand alone when you drive off for the day, and which you drive up carefully beside when you return. They can give you an area to cook, to have a portable loo, and to store stuff. Then you get to sleep in the van without the hassle of moving a lot of stuff.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

+1 I have a Decathlon Air supported awning. Erected in a few minutes and solves lack of space problem.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Do you have a budget? What are your requirements? Do you want a cooker? toilet? Or is it enough to have two berths & storage?

When I was in my late teens, I used an older VW golf as a camper van. I took the back seats out, put the front seat forward as far as they would go, and leaned them forward, as well. I put a mattress in the back, and hung some cloth over the windows. It worked better than I expected it to. Obviously, you would need an estate if you are too tall for the back of a golf :lol:

Something designed as a camper van will be clearly more comfortable & have more amenities, but if low cost is higher priority than amenities or vice versa, will obviously affect your choices. I had a VW bus (not camper) for a while & loved it.

Some neighbours have ordered a VW Caddy California which is a VW Caddy, with a kitchen at the back & a double bed. They plan to use it for weekends mountain biking. I gather it's new on the market, so I don't know if used ones are available, but the new price seems quite reasonable compared to other new vehicles.

When I've been on formal camping sites, though, the most common camper vans seem to be Toyotas and Fords.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom