Huntingdon to Leicester - National Cycle Route 12

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
glucas

Huntingdon to Leicester - National Cycle Route 12

Post by glucas »

Hi,

I live in Huntingdon but have never really ventured in a north west direction.

When I did last weekend, I was really pleasantly surprised! Really quiet (virtually empty roads) and some really nice countryside. The route starts on a stretch of National Cycle Route 12. And then meanders into Rutland - some really nice hamlets and it gets a little bit hillier than the flatlands of Cambridgeshire. Can thoroughly recommend to anybody maybe on their way going north or south:

Huntingdon to Leicester.png
Last edited by glucas on 18 Jul 2022, 11:51am, edited 1 time in total.
Slowroad

Re: Huntingdon to Leicester - National Cycle Route 12

Post by Slowroad »

I had a lovely short tour in September 2020, Nottingham to a campsite at Husbands Bosworth, then to St Neots for three nights and back via HB using a different route. Lovely countryside, just rolling enough, and the villages built of different stone and in different styles.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
glucas

Re: Huntingdon to Leicester - National Cycle Route 12

Post by glucas »

Yes, certain villages west of Peterborough and Stamford and Rutland have a lot of stone houses. I think it's Lincolnshire Limestone. St Neots and generally villages within Cambridgeshire will consist of a lot of thatched cottages. It doesn't quite match up to the Cotwolds maybe, but it's perhaps underrated. Had a cousin up from Newhaven at the weekend and she was raving about the area - certainly good for cyclists if you stay off the main A roads.

Also - forgot to mention, there is the Cambridge busway where there is a cycle path (wide) from St Ives to Cambridge, about 20 miles long.