Bikes on Escalators, is there a technique

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
wirral_cyclist

Re: Bikes on Escalators, is there a technique

Post by wirral_cyclist »

On Merseyrail our escalators (are narrower and shorter) and obviously folk less selfish, so taking a bike and 'blocking' an escalator is not a heinous crime. The 'correct' technique, up or down, is simply to board bike, then move to where bike wants to settle, SO MOVE WITH IT, DON'T FIGHT, this then actually doesn't need brakes on, or turned steering (though it offers reassurance apparently). Fighting a bike moving away from you over the hump/dip (down/up) is where people get it wrong.

PS a stopped escalator is the emergency steps in a power cut.
Galactic

Post by Galactic »

Thank you Wirral_Cyclist! I've been watching this thread with bemusement, wondering why I've never had any problems with taking my bike on escalators (although, to be fair, I've never done one of those endless ones* in London with grumpy Londoners trying to push past). I think the key point must be, as Wirral_Cyclist points out, just to let the bike find its position, then hold it there.

Once the bike has settled (usually whichever wheel is at the lower end is fully on the step, the higher wheel is wherever it lands, is that right?) then the brakes should stop the wheels turning and the bike breaking for freedom, even when fully laden. The next trick is to release the front brakes and the back brakes in the right order and at the right time just as the escalators level out before the end.

I do take the point that a back-heavy bike might attempt a wheely on the up-escalators. Not quite sure how I've dealt with that - presumably I've just made sure that I'm in the right position to exert enough downwards pressure on the handlebars. Thinking about it, I often find I have to move a step up after getting the bike settled just to make sure I have enough control, and then, when it comes to getting off the escalator, have to wheel the bike ahead of me a little to avoid getting a handlebar in my tummy. Can be a little tricky with big panniers on the back and low riders on the front.

* Yes, yes, am aware that escalators are, by their nature, endless. But you know what I mean.
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Galactic wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 4:17pm

I do take the point that a back-heavy bike might attempt a wheely on the up-escalators.
Exactly what happened to me galactic. All was well until a certain point of no return. Saved by a friendly quick acting londoner :)
Sweep
Galactic

Post by Galactic »

I do take the point that a back-heavy bike might attempt a wheely on the up-escalators.
Exactly what happened to me galactic.
Yes I think this has happened to me too (many years ago, hence the fuzziness). One thing I'm pretty sure about now (having thought about it over night) is that I usually have to go a step higher up than I initially think (when going up) to keep control. It's part of the whole getting-on-an-escalator-with-bike-shuffle. Being a foot or so higher up gives you a much better angle to keep that front wheel pushed down.

I think I'm going to have to take a trip to the big city in order to put my bike on an escalator and observe exactly what I'm doing to keep it safe.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Stand to a specifc side? :roll: :lol:
Why.? Let faster movers run up the stairs.
I guess this is some London twaddle.
More to the point, why not pick up the bike?
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Galactic wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 12:51pm
Exactly what happened to me galactic.
Yes I think this has happened to me too (many years ago, hence the fuzziness). One thing I'm pretty sure about now (having thought about it over night) is that I usually have to go a step higher up than I initially think (when going up) to keep control. It's part of the whole getting-on-an-escalator-with-bike-shuffle. Being a foot or so higher up gives you a much better angle to keep that front wheel pushed down.

I think I'm going to have to take a trip to the big city in order to put my bike on an escalator and observe exactly what I'm doing to keep it safe.
yep I was stood quite far back - your plan may well improve things, though I think I'll shy away from any experiments. Once bitten ...

Do report back on any of your personal experiments.

(might be an idea to do with a pal who can press the stop button if needed)
Sweep
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mattsccm wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 1:16pm More to the point, why not pick up the bike?
What about suitcases?
They sit on the escalator steps, and you don't pick those up.
Luggage is luggage, and you let the escalator do the work. That's what it's for as it could be a bike, a moped .............. or huge husky dog ............

I've been through London with two big suitcases, and they blocked the escalators down to the underground, and then up out.
So what?
Mick F. Cornwall
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Mick F wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 4:30pm
mattsccm wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 1:16pm More to the point, why not pick up the bike?
What about suitcases?
Luggage is luggage, and you let the escalator do the work. That's what it's for as it could be a bike, a moped .............. or huge husky dog ............

I've been through London with two big suitcases, and they blocked the escalators down to the underground, and then up out.
So what?
I think you are missing the point mick that a bag however big would usually sit on a single step.
Not the same as your bike unless in your ceaseless quest for novelty you have taken to a unicycle/pogo stick.
Sweep
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

CJ wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 9:02pm
BeardyWeirdy wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 11:16am I have used the ones in Antwerp fully loaded - no issues if you follow the instructions

https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2019 ... n-antwerp/

getting your front wheel turned and standing on the right step makes it easier. The video show a few of the options
Excellent! Trust the Dutch/Flemmings to show us how it's done - easily, with none of the silly fuss made by Anglophones!

I was going to post about how I pay little attention to the front whilst ensuring the REAR wheel is snugly located on a step and then hold the rear brake on, but turning the front wheel is so much simpler - going up at least. They don't seem to be turning it on the way down however, so maybe then it's all down to wheel location and brake-holding.
Well, I tried this last week with my folding bike. The 20" wheels mean it's a little more likely than a bigger wheeled bike to be at awkward spacing compared to the steps. So I thought the bicycledutch solution might work.

It didn't. It was *much* harder to position my bike securely on the escalator & I had a couple of honestly scary moments attempting it.

I have yet to try it with a standard bike.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sweep wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 4:42pm
Mick F wrote: 26 Jun 2022, 4:30pm
What about suitcases?

So what?
I think you are missing the point mick that a bag however big would usually sit on a single step.
Not the same as your bike unless in your ceaseless quest for novelty you have taken to a unicycle/pogo stick.
:lol:
My point is, that a suitcase can be wider than a bike + person.
Two steps taken up by a bike, same as a couple of suitcases ........... but narrower.
Me + Bike is what? maybe two feet wide?
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I've never needed to take a bike on an escalator.

If a bike is tipping over backwards I presume it's because its centre of gravity is behind the back axle. I should have thought that that was much more likely to happen with a traditional saddlebag - eg Carradice Camper - than with panners, especially if there were also front panniers. (I discovered the CoG with a saddlebag on my first YHA tour in 1958. Ne escaltors but the bike reared up when I was remounting and I landed in the bottom of a deep roadside ditch. Fortunately, dry at the time.)
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom »

I take my bike on escalators every work day and turn the front wheel as described by other posters. This works best in my opinion, although it might pose problems with very narrow escalators (which I don't encounter).
No problems excepted with low riders + panniers (which I only use during cycle camping trips, not daily commutes).
"A cycle tourist doesn't have a track record. Just memories". Jean Taboureau
CJ

Post by CJ »

Angstrom wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 9:23am I take my bike on escalators every work day and turn the front wheel as described by other posters. This works best in my opinion, although it might pose problems with very narrow escalators (which I don't encounter).
No problems excepted with low riders + panniers (which I only use during cycle camping trips, not daily commutes).
Do you turn the front wheel also when descending?
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
CJ

Post by CJ »

mattheus wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 9:07am
CJ wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 9:02pm
BeardyWeirdy wrote: 20 Jun 2022, 11:16am I have used the ones in Antwerp fully loaded - no issues if you follow the instructions

https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2019 ... n-antwerp/

getting your front wheel turned and standing on the right step makes it easier. The video show a few of the options
Excellent! Trust the Dutch/Flemmings to show us how it's done - easily, with none of the silly fuss made by Anglophones!
Have you done it Chris?
I have taken a touring bike on escalators many times - and sometimes a tandem - usually loaded. I always roll it straight on and then adjust it's position as the steps form up, so as to snug the back wheel fully into a step, and then squeeze the back brake (it helps that the rear brake is on the same side as one pushes a bike from, in UK). I've not yet had an opportunity to try also turning the handlebars. Whilst ascending however, I also lean inwards on the handlebars, to counteract the tendecy to 'wheelie' due to rear luggage weight overhanging the step.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Angstrom

Post by Angstrom »

CJ wrote: 5 Jul 2022, 3:24pm
Angstrom wrote: 1 Jul 2022, 9:23am I take my bike on escalators every work day and turn the front wheel as described by other posters. This works best in my opinion, although it might pose problems with very narrow escalators (which I don't encounter).
Do you turn the front wheel also when descending?
Yes indeed.
"A cycle tourist doesn't have a track record. Just memories". Jean Taboureau