Seeking fastest LWB

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
UpWrong

Seeking fastest LWB

Post by UpWrong »

I'm coming to believe the LWB format suits me best. I'm lucky to have a Stratus XP but I wonder if there is something faster. The more aero Bella would be interesting. The Phoenix is the new development but is a monster in dual 700 format. The Phoenix 406 has been prototyped but is not yet in production, and output volumes from Phoenix Cycle Wrx make the prospect of buying one remote. So I have my eye on this beauty. What do you think?
New Stratus.jpg
Last edited by UpWrong on 30 May 2022, 6:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
belgiangoth

Re: Seeking fastest LWB

Post by belgiangoth »

n+1 already?
Damning of the P-38.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

belgiangoth wrote: 30 May 2022, 5:19pm n+1 already?
Damning of the P-38.
Not damning of the P-38, well not entirely! But looks like my search for a platform which optimises my limited power, and provides good safety and comfort, is still on-going and that I might roll the dice once more :lol:

I think my legs are less prone to cramping on an LWB. Also I have niggles with the P-38 seat, I can't move around and adjust my position on it. I tend to slide foward a bit on it and can't shift back again without stopping. So every 5 miles or so I'll stop, stand up and siit down again. It's a bit of closed riding posture too, though sliding forward in the seat does open that up a bit. Descrbing it here makes me wonder if laying the seat back and switching to a 559/349 wheel configuration (in order to reach the ground better with the raised front edge of the seat) would feel better.

Regardless, I still have an interest in finding an optimal LWB for me!!
Campag

Post by Campag »

I appreciate that a short test ride isn't necessarily enough. However if you can get to Edinburgh Laid Back Bikes have several lwb recumbents to try out, including a Pelso Brevet. I've owned / tried several different recumbents and found this the most comfortable, especially for longer rides.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

Campag wrote: 30 May 2022, 8:44pm I appreciate that a short test ride isn't necessarily enough. However if you can get to Edinburgh Laid Back Bikes have several lwb recumbents to try out, including a Pelso Brevet. I've owned / tried several different recumbents and found this the most comfortable, especially for longer rides.
The Pelso is an impressive bike but I wouldn't call it a Long Wheelbase recumbent in the way that a Bella or a Phoenix is. LWBs have various pros and cons, the big pro is how user-friendly they are with, usually, a lower bottom bracket.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

I think by lwb we’re talking front wheel in front of cranks here.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

To answer my own question, probably a RANS Xstream though perhaps not a user-friendly LWB:
http://www.averyjenkins.com/blog/1237
I prefer the smaller front wheel on an LWB which reduces the length as well as bringing feet nearer the ground.
Last edited by UpWrong on 31 May 2022, 11:56am, edited 1 time in total.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

So, does anyone recognise the photo in my first post or wants to know more?
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

I think we would all like the ideal recumbent that flies uphill with barely a gearchange, is fast yet manageable and user friendly in traffic and on unsurfaced roads. The Rans Xstream probably fulfils the fast and uphill aspects but is might bite you if you are unwary in the other situations.

I have often wondered how my own Linear compares with similar bikes, whether they are faster, or easier to ride, or harder to pilot in confined spaces. A Bachetta Bella or a Peer Gynt, for example. Like you, I like the LWB set up. Mine feels user friendly to me. I have got used to under seat steering to the point that it feels perfectly natural. My stumbling block when looking at another bike would be seat height and short leg length adjustability. Without this, all else fails.

How would a steel bike compare, is above seat steering really any faster in real life use, are there any features that would make another bike significantly better or worse than what I've got? We all like to ask what if...?

The likelihood of my getting a test ride on anything else is still as about as remote as before I bought the Linear about two years ago and I was lucky to find something that suits me so well. One thing I have been wondering recently is how would one of the newer, 21st century Linears compare with my Iowa one. Would it be much sharper or handle differently, how big an improvement would a disc braked one be if any? I doubt there are any in the country so the likelihood of a comparison is probably remote.

I feel I could go anywhere on this that my steel tourer will go (length notwithstanding), and it climbs just about anything that I point it at but you always wonder if there's something more out there. If I want more speed I expect I can only work on the power unit.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

a.twiddler wrote: 31 May 2022, 2:18pm One thing I have been wondering recently is how would one of the newer, 21st century Linears compare with my Iowa one. Would it be much sharper or handle differently, how big an improvement would a disc braked one be if any? I doubt there are any in the country so the likelihood of a comparison is probably remote.
The modern Linear was CAD designed with FE analysis. I expect it to be much better than the original but .... it's for tall riders. The LR version reduces the height a little but seems to complcate the chain run, although it's hard to get clear photos. Some show the chain running through one of the swiss cheese holes in the chain stay. TBH I think I would find mounting/dismounting more difficult with USS.
a.twiddler

Post by a.twiddler »

It's interesting to read about the relative height of the current Linear range. It certainly looks as if to gain advantages in one department, the general height has increased. I read a reference somewhere to the Linear having a seat height of a "towering" 28 inches which I assumed was the older version but mine is a bit under 26" though the seat cushion is a bit saggy now. The seat isn't necessarily the crucial point when it comes to stepping over it to get on but if the frame has risen too then it's an obstacle in more ways than one.

Chain line is very simple on the Iowa Linear though I've seen photos of them with rollers on. Some riders are very conscious of the long droopy chain absorbing part of the pedal rotation rather than turning the wheel but I just look on it as a gravity powered chain tensioner.

From comparing various recumbents as they come on ebay it seems to me that something like the Peer Gynt is also on the tall side.
Riders of average height can take many things for granted which riders at the tall and short end of the spectrum find stops them trying certain bikes.

Under seat steering isn't a problem for me now, but over seat steering with a forward fold for mounting/dismounting must make life very simple.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I made enquires about a Bella frameset, but Bacchetta are out of forks. They don't expect anymore this year.

The photo I posted at the top was a custom titanium build by Carver bikes. I think the price for a frameset alone is pushing $4000, which is about what an aluminium Phoenix is were it possible to actually buy one.
yostumpy

Post by yostumpy »

What about a Mystique?
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

yostumpy wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 7:42am What about a Mystique?
I'd rather have my feet nearer the ground. I'm half tempted by the new Freestyle 20, available as a frameset from Schlitter Bikes.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

LWB frameset on order. Now I have to source the bits to make it light and fast :twisted: