How far do you cycle per week?

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.

How far do you cycle on average per week?

Less than 50km
17%
51-80km
10%
81-110km
12%
111-140km
17%
141-170km
18%
171-200km
15%
201-230km
3%
231-260km
2%
261-299km
2%
300km plus
5%

Total votes: 60

Jon in Sweden

How far do you cycle per week?

Post by Jon in Sweden »

I'm just curious how far you guys and gals cycle each week, and what affects your distance totals?

I'm 10 weeks exactly back on a bike (after about 14-15 years off it and competing as a kid). In that time, I have covered 1665km, so a weekly average of 166.5km. This feels good to me, and quite sustainable. It may increase a little when we move to Sweden in 3 weeks, but equally, will drop a lot over winter due to snow and ice limiting me to gravel riding.

It may also increase as I get faster, but may also decrease if I do more gravel riding, due to it being slower.
PH

Re: How far do you cycle per week?

Post by PH »

Are we talking leisure, utility, commuting, work, sport, exercise? Or are you lumping it all in together?
If you take out the practical stuff and just look at the various forms of leisure, you'd then need to define the goals. If you want to go lots of places and see lots of things (Touring :wink:) then time more than distance is most important. If the objective is physical improvement, then distance is still the wrong measure, intensity would be better, less is often more. If you're just cycling for fun, well you'll have to come up with a way to measure that.

I average per week over the year:
180km Deliveroo (Though recently most of that is by E-bike)
140km CTC rides, Audax and touring (A couple of two week tours and a few Audax have pushed that average up)
70 km travel

But those are just averages, I'll do 800km weeks and 800km months.
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

PH wrote: 6 Jul 2022, 1:04am Are we talking leisure, utility, commuting, work, sport, exercise? Or are you lumping it all in together?
If you take out the practical stuff and just look at the various forms of leisure, you'd then need to define the goals. If you want to go lots of places and see lots of things (Touring :wink:) then time more than distance is most important. If the objective is physical improvement, then distance is still the wrong measure, intensity would be better, less is often more. If you're just cycling for fun, well you'll have to come up with a way to measure that.

I average per week over the year:
180km Deliveroo (Though recently most of that is by E-bike)
140km CTC rides, Audax and touring (A couple of two week tours and a few Audax have pushed that average up)
70 km travel

But those are just averages, I'll do 800km weeks and 800km months.
That's loopy mileage you're covering there! And in my home city, no less.

I suppose I'd just qualify it as total distance covered each week with the exclusion of e-bike mileage. How far do your legs take you each week? I know it's not the only measure of training, but it's still interesting.

I don't do so much mileage, but I tend to go pretty hard all the time if I'm riding by myself. I joke that I only have two speeds - all out or whatever speed the other person is riding.
Pebble

Post by Pebble »

My rolling yearly average is currently a 125 mile a week (4 or 5 rides (1000' ascent every 20 mile)). Finding it a bit much with the other stuff I do, think I will drop it to 100 a week at the end of this year. Averaged over 200 a week for the first year of lockdown (that was my most ever, and best cycling ever)

And my average speed including stops is just under 10 mph. I just love being out travelling slowly through the countryside, my ccling has little to do with keeping fit or even cycling. It is just being out there that I like
Tiberius

Post by Tiberius »

I cycle roughly 120KM/week and the No1 influencer is the wind. I live on the north east coast of England and it blows just about every day in summer (less so in winter) - up to 35MPH today. It doesn't matter what the weather forecast says, it will be blowing up here.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

My year round average is somewhere around 120km per week (except that I've never cycled in km, only miles!), but it varies wildly on a week-by-week basis, from nothing to c500km, according to a combination of the needs of family and work, the weather, DIY jobs etc.

As an aside, I'm not sure that mileage alone expresses how much cycling one does anyway, time might be a better measure, especially for those of us who cycle off-tarmac a lot. My summer thing, when I can't spare days for longer excursions, is exploring bridleways, which can yield prodigious amounts of exercise covering very tiny distances: I spent a morning exploring steep and very stoney old packhorse routes in a corner of North Sussex last week, managing to cover a massive 17 miles, and was pretty much banjaxed at the end of it!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Sorry, but I would need https://www.calculateme.com to even understand the question. :lol:

I used to do 100miles a week just for leisure/pleasure, and before that, I was cycling to work and back five/six days a week at 17miles each way = 170miles a week.

These days my mileages are decreasing considerably.
Mick F. Cornwall
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I usually go out three times a week, Tues, Thurs and Sat and generally cover between 100 & 120km each time but whilst its rarely less it can be more so 400km+ weeks do happen. Most of my rides i'll have a stop for lunch so i'll generally be out 5-6 hours, on a very good day i can pop out 100km in less than 4 hours, at other times i just don't have speed in my head and i'll dawdle round closer to five. The main thing tho, isn't the distance or the time but just enjoying doing it.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

commuting = 100 miles a week
club ride= 65 miles a week
ride with kid = 20 miles a week
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Enjoying my retirement and riding 6 days a week. Generally go out in the morning and ride 35-50 miles at a leisurely pace. Week's mileage is usually 200-250 miles (my brain doesn't work in kilometres!)
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
Jon in Sweden

Post by Jon in Sweden »

This week is going well. 192km so far, with an expected 90km over the weekend.

The hills are getting easier. The flats are getting faster. Happy days :D
matt2matt2002

Post by matt2matt2002 »

Last year during pandemic times, I couldn't visit my son in NYC, so I set myself a target of cycling the 3,200 miles.

Nice to have a target.

Did it in 9 months.
2017 Ethiopia.5 weeks.
2018 Marrakech 2 weeks.
2023 Thailand 8 weeks.
Always on a Thorn Raven/Rohloff hub.
tykeboy2003

Post by tykeboy2003 »

My average over the last 12 years has been 6.5 miles a day which is about 73km per week.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

So far this year I've averaged 147 km / week, but since mid-June I'm doing around 240. That's due to take a whack in the back of the neck with the heat wave, though: cardiologist sez no bike if °C>30.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Tiggertoo

Post by Tiggertoo »

Audax67 wrote: 18 Jul 2022, 3:03pm So far this year I've averaged 147 km / week, but since mid-June I'm doing around 240. That's due to take a whack in the back of the neck with the heat wave, though: cardiologist sez no bike if °C>30.
Mmm! Around here - just like everywhere else right now - it is hitting 100 F every day.so not riding in the heat is not an option since LeJog starts in 6 weeks, so about 120 miles a week is the goal and I meet it most weeks.