Boris's Brain is missing

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Jdsk

Re: Boris's Brain is missing

Post by Jdsk »

Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Jdsk wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 1:12pm
roubaixtuesday wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 12:47pm Johnson just started statement and already lying.

"Fastest vaccine rollout in Europe"

Nope.

Capture.PNG

Doubtless he'll be lying about a few more things yet.
And the cumulative excess deaths are worse than those of many similar countries.

Jonathan

PS: The inquiry has just started. And about time.
I think Johnson going might help the inquiry. There are many (to an extent myself included) who want the inquiry to establish Johnson's culpability and terrible decisions - i.e. blame. I'm convinced Johnson's inept decisions made things a lot lot worse but I assume the main aims of the inquiry are to learn lessons and establish practice/organisations so we a better prepared for variants and future pandemics. With "proving blame" now a lesser motive for many it can only help.

Additionally, those around when Johnson and others in Gov. were making such disastrous decisions will feel less loyalty than were Johnson still their boss and their being under his patronage. They will be free to provide accurate accounts rather than tempering their account to avoid upsetting "Big Dog".

Ian
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

CNN on Johnson's pathological lying.

From his first resignation from the Conservative's top team in 2004, after lying to then-party leader Michael Howard about his relationship with the journalist Petronella Wyatt, who claimed he paid for her to have an abortion, to his lies this year over the scandal involving parties at Downing Street during lockdown, and all the lies in between too legion to list, Johnson's career was characterized, accompanied, shaped and defined by lies.

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/07/07/opin ... index.html
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Jdsk wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 1:53pm First head-to-head:

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1544984543555371010

Jonathan
Bizarre, that in a democracy the next leader of the country will be decided by a bunch of ageing Telegraph readers.

Obviously leadership changes from time to time without an election, Eden to Macmillan in 56, Macmillan to Douglas-Home in 63, Wilson to Callaghan in 76 and Blair to Brown in 07. However this will be the fourth time the Tories have done it in six years i.e. as many times as it happened in the sixty years between 1956 and 2016 - a bit excessive and they really should call a general election this time.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
pete75

Post by pete75 »

roubaixtuesday wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 3:08pm CNN on Johnson's pathological lying.

From his first resignation from the Conservative's top team in 2004, after lying to then-party leader Michael Howard about his relationship with the journalist Petronella Wyatt, who claimed he paid for her to have an abortion, to his lies this year over the scandal involving parties at Downing Street during lockdown, and all the lies in between too legion to list, Johnson's career was characterized, accompanied, shaped and defined by lies.

Lets hope the bugger wasn't lying when he said he'd resigned.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

pete75 wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 3:13pm

Or telling the truth but only in a limited and specific way?

Jonathan
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

pete75 wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 3:13pm

He barely said he was resigning, and very clearly hopes to hang on, seeing as there was no reason to resign.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Screenshot_20220707-151711_Fritter.jpg
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

His speech outside No10.

" ......... the country needs A new leader .............."

He's B leader, so A leader is a good thing IMO.

Sorry, going onto the English Language What does Your Head In section! :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Psamathe wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 11:02am
Jdsk wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 9:41am ...
What's happened is that yet again we haven't evolved our constitutional system to meet current needs.

Jonathan
Any now, yet again, our PM will (at best) be chosen by a tiny fraction of the electorate all belonging to a particularly narrow sector of society. The same selection procedures that gave us the disaster of the last few years.

Ian
Spot on!
And we the people have to just 'suck it up' as the saying goes :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

atoz wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 12:52pm I won't be popular for saying this, but some in the Labour Party should be ashamed of themselves. For all the many faults of their previous leader, he was not like Boris. By undermining Corbyn it made it easier for Boris to eventually become PM. In particular, in 2017, this could have been avoided. By 2019 it was too late. Thanks, Mandelson, Austin, and the rest.

But most thanks should be to the huge no's of over 50s who voted for Boris. Cheers for that..
Agreed,could Corbyn have ever done a worse job in dragging this country down such as Johnson,his despicable party and his cronies have done?
I very much doubt it!
W H Auden
Sweep

Post by Sweep »

Not happy about ideas of him being a caretaker.
Wot sort of caretaker?
Primary school back after hols to find he's nicked all the desks.
Sweep
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

More like a carelesstakerofanythinghecan!
What a stupid country I live in! :?
W H Auden
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

New Statesman has an article about why Johnson should go immediately. One of their reasons that I find very compelling
https://www.newstatesman.com/comment/2022/07/david-gauke-tory-mps-force-boris-johnson-no-10 wrote:On previous occasions when a prime minister has resigned midterm it is because of policy grounds and electoral prospects. Margaret Thatcher had the poll tax, Tony Blair had the delayed impact of the Iraq war, David Cameron had the EU referendum defeat, Theresa May could not get her Brexit deal through. The policy direction was going to have to change which required new leadership but there was no objection to the previous prime minister minding the shop whilst the relevant political party sorted out the succession.

In contrast, Johnson has been removed not because of a failure of policy but because of a lack of integrity. The immediate cause is that his parliamentary colleagues think he lied about what he knew about the behaviour of Christopher Pincher. He did not receive the benefit of doubt because his colleagues also think that he lied about partygate. Conservative MPs consider him to be a liar.
So the Conservative MPs are allowing somebody they consider has no integrity, is a compulsive liar, etc. to run the country for a few more months. They have publicly declared he is unsuited to lead the country yet at the same time allow him to run the country!

Ian