Campervans

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PH

Re: Campervans

Post by PH »

pwa wrote: 5 Jul 2022, 9:44am Insurance can get a bit complicated if you reconfigure a van / bus like that. What do you insure it as? A minibus with X number of seats? If so, are you then covered if you take some seats out and fill the vacant space with other kit that might or might not be secured in the event of a crash?
Yes, always check your policy, some state the number of seats, though you can get some people carriers where that's the maximum number.
Apart from that, the classification of converted vehicles has changed in recent years. They're no longer classed as campers unless manufactured that way from new, I think the new classification is "van with windows" though that might not be the exact wording.
Your insurance should state that classification and the most common policy is for "Social, Domestic and Pleasure". So, unless there's specific exclusions, anything you might reasonably do with a van with windows for Social, Domestic and Pleasure purposes will be covered.
PH

Post by PH »

I haven't owned a motor vehicle of any type since 1998 and that's unlikely to change. Yet every time this subject come up I can't help feeling envious.
Enjoy your campers, particularly those who get plenty of use from them.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

VW Caddy is a clone of the Berlingo. Pretty small and quite expensive. A friend just got a s/h newish Berlingo. She slept in it at a festival but in the morning couldnt open the doors and had to climb over the seats to get out. :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

The Caddy California is a small van, as Al says. I think it’s rather natty, and ideal for one person (if the doors do nt get stuck!).
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

al_yrpal wrote: 5 Jul 2022, 7:35am My VW T25 has 2 berths and 2 more with the roof up. It fits into a standard parking place and is no wider than a normal car. You could carry a bike inside but most people carry them on a rear carrier. Obviously bigger more expensive vans means access to narrow lanes is more problematic. But, they often have showers and toilets instead of something like my Porta Potty.

Al20180322_171800.jpg

Al
Very nice Al also love the classic colours. I've always wanted a syncro but the wife said no. So we have a 73 Bay window Devon Weekender, it's part of the family now.
I am here. Where are you?
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

al_yrpal wrote: 5 Jul 2022, 9:17am Vee Dubs or just Dubs are a cult with a huge following which is the reason for the premium. Original T1s cost silly money. T25s like mine offer the most space but are much cheaper.

Al
Big mistake there Al -- you'd get thrown off a vw forum for that by some anorak :lol: -- and I'm sure you'll know an original T1 is a vw beetle.

The confusing thing is that a T2 can be a Splitty or a Bay. For the non dubists on this forum they are Quite different machines size wise but both based on the same platform. " Only Meee! "
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Cowsham wrote: 6 Jul 2022, 10:08pm
al_yrpal wrote: 5 Jul 2022, 9:17am Vee Dubs or just Dubs are a cult with a huge following which is the reason for the premium. Original T1s cost silly money. T25s like mine offer the most space but are much cheaper.

Al
Big mistake there Al -- you'd get thrown off a vw forum for that by some anorak :lol: -- and I'm sure you'll know an original T1 is a vw beetle.

The confusing thing is that a T2 can be a Splitty or a Bay. For the non dubists on this forum they are Quite different machines size wise but both based on the same platform. " Only Meee! "
Ummm... Didnt know that. My T3/T25 has the flat 4 original air cooled engine. It gives loads more horizontal space. A neighbour with a T5 was amazed at the space liberated by having the engine located this way. Its a thirsty lump, 25mpg tops but surprisingly quiet. Not as cool as a splitty or bay. I went to one Dub event, what an eye opener!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

al_yrpal wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 9:05am
Cowsham wrote: 6 Jul 2022, 10:08pm

Al

Ummm... Didnt know that. My T3/T25 has the flat 4 original air cooled engine. It gives loads more horizontal space. A neighbour with a T5 was amazed at the space liberated by having the engine located this way. Its a thirsty lump, 25mpg tops but surprisingly quiet. Not as cool as a splitty or bay. I went to one Dub event, what an eye opener!

Al
Yes Al I've always wanted a T25 even before getting the bay but the wife wouldn't hear of it. We, like everyone else were after a Splitty but when I got a drive in one I thought NO! -- too small inside to be at all practical, no steering to speak of, no brakes! -- no! So we decided to look at Bays -- but on one occasion I'd flew over to England to see one but it was cr@p ( lowered so it was horrible to drive amongst other problems I found ) the chap was showing me this Bay on behalf of the owner but out of kindness took took me a run to the nearest bus stop -- in his Californian T25 ( with 100hp ) -- I was very impressed. Beautiful interior, all seats had arm rests even drivers. Great heater and aircon and fast! Outside look fabulous too -- no sign of the seam rust the European vans suffered with etc -- just the problem of left hand drive but some bus.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The answer to the VW Camper space problem...my Decathlon Air Seconds Base. Very robust inflatable supports. Can be left in place whilst you drive off elsewhere.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/6-person- ... R-p-310023
IMG_20170827_173235307.jpg
Al
Cowsham

Post by Cowsham »

al_yrpal wrote: 7 Jul 2022, 10:51am The answer to the VW Camper space problem...my Decathlon Air Seconds Base. Very robust inflatable supports. Can be left in place whilst you drive off elsewhere.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/6-person- ... R-p-310023

IMG_20170827_173235307.jpg

Al
Maybe you've covered this question already -- how do you carry the bikes ? -- I've never had the courage to put mine on a rack on the back door ( don't want to wreck the paint ) but just take the wheels off and fit them inside -- a lot of faff but have done the fold up trike ( up on the top of the engine ) and two mtb's in between the bench seats ( that fold down into a bed )
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Bikes? I dont. Wife cant ride a bike. I have a tow bar, so, could mount a rack on that I guess

Al
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Beware scams.One company offered to sell camper vans as investments and hire out on behalf of.It later transpired those who bought them thinking it would be their's later found it was not.I think COVID and subsequent loss of hire income was a factor.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

It's a cult thing with early VW vans.
In their original form, 1200 aircooled engines, they were awful to drive. I borrowed one in the early '70's when I was moving house. My foot was flat to the floor trying to keep up with the traffic. At the time I owned a 1200 VW beetle so was used to slow acceleration.
I doubt any have these engines in them now.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

francovendee wrote: 8 Jul 2022, 7:55am It's a cult thing with early VW vans.
In their original form, 1200 aircooled engines, they were awful to drive. I borrowed one in the early '70's when I was moving house. My foot was flat to the floor trying to keep up with the traffic. At the time I owned a 1200 VW beetle so was used to slow acceleration.
I doubt any have these engines in them now.
There's a well-defined upgrade path... including 911 engines!

Jonathan