Are There Any YOUNG Fully Loaded Cycle Tourists?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
mattheus

Re: Are There Any YOUNG Fully Loaded Cycle Tourists?

Post by mattheus »

PedallingSquares wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 10:24am Camping is far too expensive at some UK campsites.I don't mind £10-£15pppn but some are charging double that!
Yes, but I do think C***D produced big price hikes due to folks flying less. Also accomodation supply has been hit, due to many businesses being extra-cautious.

So HOPEFULLY there will be a correction in the near future. Hopefully ...
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Psamathe wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 10:43am Why on earth not. That beggars belief and I'm lost as to understanding why. Is it some sort of night-club thing where women get in free and they get too many blokes for the number of women?
I would be fascinated to know the reason (and from occasional reports in the Press of gender discrimination the other way round, wonder if it is even legal).
Ian
From their website:-
Castlerigg Hall is a park exclusive for couples and families. Our elevated position, looking out to the Lake District mountains and down to Derwentwater offers a peaceful and tranquil getaway for our guests.
https://www.castlerigg.co.uk/
Apparently it is now a Holiday Park not a Camping and Caravan site.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

PedallingSquares wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 5:13pm
Psamathe wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 10:43am Why on earth not. That beggars belief and I'm lost as to understanding why. Is it some sort of night-club thing where women get in free and they get too many blokes for the number of women?
I would be fascinated to know the reason (and from occasional reports in the Press of gender discrimination the other way round, wonder if it is even legal).
Ian
Castlerigg Hall is a park exclusive for couples and families. Our elevated position, looking out to the Lake District mountains and down to Derwentwater offers a peaceful and tranquil getaway for our guests.
Would they accept a booking for a single female?

Ian
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Psamathe wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 5:45pm
Ian

Ian
try it :lol:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Many years ago( the 90s) I stopped at a holiday park campsite north of Kings Lynn. Solo male cyclist. Wasn't too bothered but thought I'd enquire.

I was told that I could not stay because they didn't allow single sex parties.
PedallingSquares

Post by PedallingSquares »

Psamathe wrote: 17 Mar 2022, 5:45pm
Ian
Ian
The online booking system only gives the option of adult.Tried booking various days/dates throughout the year and it says dates not available!
We used to get this in the 80s if we turned up at some sites on Motorbikes.We were either told couples only or we don't accept Motorbike clubs!
There is a nice little site 100yards further along the road at Castlerigg Farm:-
https://castleriggfarm.com/
I suspect they're getting all the trade that their upmarket neighbour is too good for!
Slowroad

Post by Slowroad »

They call it bike packing and they’re not on forums like this (at over fifty I’m going to categorise myself as veteran)! But on places like the women’s bikepacking and cycle touring page on Facebook there are quite a few and I presume there are plenty of guys somewhere too.
I would be interested to find out more about this women’s bikepacking and cycle touring group but can't find it on Facebook! Could you post the URL for it? Thanks very much.
“My two favourite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything. The perfect day: riding a bike to the library.”
― Peter Golkin
MrsHJ

Post by MrsHJ »

Slowroad wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 8:45pm
They call it bike packing and they’re not on forums like this (at over fifty I’m going to categorise myself as veteran)! But on places like the women’s bikepacking and cycle touring page on Facebook there are quite a few and I presume there are plenty of guys somewhere too.
I would be interested to find out more about this women’s bikepacking and cycle touring group but can't find it on Facebook! Could you post the URL for it? Thanks very much.
I hope this works, do pm me if not, I am a member and can try to invite you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/womenwhobikepack
Madeleine

Post by Madeleine »

just discovered this thread while looking for info to help advise my daughter and her friend, both aged 18 who are about to set off on their first no-parents cycle camping trip. Friend never been before. Hoping to find a relatively low cost way to do it! I'm going to post for advice on here. Our 3 kids did lots with us and have gone on as adults to do their own similar trips with friends, either walking or cycling.
Nearholmer

Post by Nearholmer »

Having skimmed this thread: there is a heck of a lot of “bike packing”, very lightweight camping, going on, a great deal of it based on “wild camping”, both young men and young women. The Facebook “gravel” pages are full of it.

It isn’t the same as “take everything including the kitchen sink and pedal to Patagonia” touring, but is the sort of thing that people who have jobs can do, a few nights, so more akin to the YHA bashing of old, and the people who are into it tend to be into cycling off, rather than on, road.
VinceLedge

Post by VinceLedge »

Saw a young couple touring on the NCN 1 near us a week or two ago, fully laden with panniers etc, toiling up a hill. She really didn't look like she was enjoying it :lol:
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Old people's cycle touring forum complains about no young people. There are young people but we're not one of them so quite possibly not cycling in the same online locations and the same irl.

When I were a kid Blackburn ctc had quite a few young people. It seems to be they'd joined for the racing ticket and Manchester velodrome club nights. I doubt many had the carradice saddle bag minimum kit requirement for riding with the club, who seemed mostly very middle aged or older. Needless to say that agm I got invited to because I was thinking of joining put me off cycling for about 10 years. When I took my bike out again I didn't ride with any group until mid 30s.

I think, and I am possibly insulting ppl on here myself included, that younger ppl don't like groups like on here or activities that we might be doing. I think each gen has their own interests and ways to do things. Perhaps cycling and cycle touring just has an image problem that we are not helping with. No offence meant.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

PS our son first cycle toured at 3.5 years. At 4.5 years he was mostly riding free and doing 30 to 50 miles a day. At 5.5 we picked a poor area to cycle in. At 6.5 yo we did Belgium but 30 to 50 miles was cycled and he found it hard.

Last summer we toured a bit with the van in NE England. We met a family touring the traditional way. They got into the campsite, we didn't. They'd booked a 2 to 3 week tour using campsites that they'd booked months earlier. It seems postcovid campsites get booked up unless they're truly dire. I'm not sure you can truly tour without booking in the UK these days. We'll find out because we're planning a hebridean tour fully loaded early August. We aren't booking just hoping for the best. I guess we might find out that we can't do that and end up planning and booking nights along a fixed route with a schedule we must keep. IMHO that's not as much fun and takes away a little adventure to it.

BTW when I was young I backpacked in UK wilderness, such as it is. Cycle touring wasn't seen as accessible to us.
briansnail

Post by briansnail »

Does the YHA still offer cheap and reasonable accommodation?
Astrobike

Post by Astrobike »

You won’t need to book campsites in the Hebrides quite the opposite the campsites there are where never full , when i did the Hebridean way in may you will however have to wild camp on Lewis an Harris due to lack of of campsites , hope you get better weather than i got it was a bit wet and breezy to say the least.