Northern lights velomobile

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
mill4six

Northern lights velomobile

Post by mill4six »

Does anyone have any thoughts on this machine. It has a linear pedal action, and carbon leaf springs which might make maintenance and repair a bit of a nightmare. I'm particularly looking at the 28mph 620 which can have pedals as an option and be registered as a moped provided you have CBT or a motorcycle license (I do). https://www.northernlightmotors.com/630-red-e-bike
UpWrong

Re: Northern lights velomobile

Post by UpWrong »

Previous thread here, viewtopic.php?t=145887

Linear action pedalling? Wasn't mentioned a few months ago.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

"The prototype used a series hybrid system, the pedaling motion charged the battery. And this power was then delivered to the rear wheel, along with the legally allowed amount of assistance for a given territory.

Customer feedback, supply issues, weight, complexity and ease of maintenance have resulted in the decision to not pursue the series hybrid drive for production at this time. Although we may in the future.

Instead, the production versions have a linear pedal system with dyneema rope drive to the rear, where a conventional chain and derailleur are then used to provide 10 gears. This is the lightest solution an means that a noisy and dirty chain is not inside the passenger
compartment."

But the 630 model is full electric, so doesn't have this?

Carbon-leaf suspension is used by the Leitra and Windcheetah. Good enough for low-speed road use I'd say.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

"Instead, the production versions have a linear pedal system with dyneema rope drive to the rear, where a conventional chain and derailleur are then used to provide 10 gears. This is the lightest solution an means that a noisy and dirty chain is not inside the passenger
compartment."

I don't know whether it's actually linear pedals, or whether it's just using the dynemma string drive we've seen elsewhere.

I don't have a dirty chain in my velo - I have a clean one, because it's never out in the muck and grime.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

I like this and wish it well. However, it's up against this 2-seater,https://www.carverelectric.co.uk/ and the Citroen Ami which is being launched in the UK.
UpWrong

Post by UpWrong »

This is now in production. For me, the choice is Blue and electrify it yourself as a pedelec, or Red and tax and insure it as a moped.
northernlights_n.jpg